What piece of hardware is creating problems???

Old September 5th 05, 12:54 AM
Admin

Default What piece of hardware is creating problems???

I have just set up a new computer for my house, but it is unstable.
Here's the configuration:

- CPU: AthlonXP 2600+ 2.8Ghz
- DDR Ram Memory: 1024GB, 400Mhz
- Mobo: Asus A7S8X-MX
- 2x HDD SATA Western Digital Raptor 36GB (connected on the SATA slots)
- 3 fans
- LG CD-ROM player
- Kensington Expert Mouse PRO
- Leadership Multimedia keyboard
- 19' Sony LCD screen S93B

On one HDD I have created a UFS partition to install FreeBSD, another for
OpenBSD, and a Fat32 partition for various files.
On the other HDD, I have created a partition for WinXP, installed WinXP,
and another Fat32 partition for files too.

It's been a pain to install Windows, because the computer would restart by
itself. Eventually I succeeded in installing Windows, but the computer
still restarts alone when using Windows. When I switch on the computer, it
starts Windows with the welcome screen, and then restarts alone, this may
happen 1, 2, 3 times, and eventually Windows is fully loaded. When I can
use Windows, randow applications crash without using them (minimized) such
as MSN Messenger. Then, at times, the computer restarts alone. I have run
Sisoft Sandra benchmark, which didn't report anything wrong about my
hardware.
Any idea what is wrong?
Thanks,

Admin.

--
Usando o M2, revolucionário cliente de e-mail do Opera:
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old September 5th 05, 01:16 AM
Cuzman

Admin wrote:

" CPU: AthlonXP 2600+ 2.8Ghz "

2.8GHz? You sure about that?

" On the other HDD, I have created a partition for WinXP, installed
WinXP, and another Fat32 partition for files too. "

If you've given the entire drive to XP then why have you partitioned it?
Also, shouldn't that be NTFS with XP?

" It's been a pain to install Windows, because the computer would
restart by itself. Eventually I succeeded in installing Windows, but
the computer still restarts alone when using Windows. "

What PSU are you using? Maybe it's not powerful enough, and is causing
the restarts. Also, what motherboard BIOS version are you using? If
it's not the latest then don't update it until you sort out the random
restart problems.
Old September 5th 05, 02:04 AM
Admin

" CPU: AthlonXP 2600+ 2.8Ghz "

2.8GHz? You sure about that?

Whoops! It's 2.08Ghz

" On the other HDD, I have created a partition for WinXP, installed
WinXP, and another Fat32 partition for files too. "

If you've given the entire drive to XP then why have you partitioned it?
Also, shouldn't that be NTFS with XP?

Actually, this HDD has 2 partitions:
- a 15GB NTFS partition with WinXP installed on it
- a 20GB FAT32 partition for documents

" It's been a pain to install Windows, because the computer would
restart by itself. Eventually I succeeded in installing Windows, but
the computer still restarts alone when using Windows. "

What PSU are you using? Maybe it's not powerful enough, and is causing
the restarts. Also, what motherboard BIOS version are you using? If
it's not the latest then don't update it until you sort out the random
restart problems.

I have a 350W PSU.
Thanks,

Old September 5th 05, 02:24 AM
philo

snip
It's been a pain to install Windows, because the computer would restart by
itself. Eventually I succeeded in installing Windows, but the computer
still restarts alone when using Windows. When I switch on the computer, it
starts Windows with the welcome screen, and then restarts alone, this may
happen 1, 2, 3 times, and eventually Windows is fully loaded. When I can
use Windows, randow applications crash without using them (minimized) such
as MSN Messenger. Then, at times, the computer restarts alone. I have run
Sisoft Sandra benchmark, which didn't report anything wrong about my
hardware.
Any idea what is wrong?
Thanks,

Admin.

try clocking the machine down a bit and see if you get a stable system
Old September 5th 05, 02:59 AM
Admin

Em Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:24:20 -0300, philo escreveu:

try clocking the machine down a bit and see if you get a stable system

The machine is not overclocked. One important thing: If I unplug the other
HDD, I don't seem to have the problem anymore...

Old September 5th 05, 03:03 AM
kony

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:54:08 -0300, Admin
wrote:

I have just set up a new computer for my house, but it is unstable.
Here's the configuration:

- CPU: AthlonXP 2600+ 2.8Ghz
- DDR Ram Memory: 1024GB, 400Mhz
- Mobo: Asus A7S8X-MX
- 2x HDD SATA Western Digital Raptor 36GB (connected on the SATA slots)
- 3 fans
- LG CD-ROM player
- Kensington Expert Mouse PRO
- Leadership Multimedia keyboard
- 19' Sony LCD screen S93B

On one HDD I have created a UFS partition to install FreeBSD, another for
OpenBSD, and a Fat32 partition for various files.
On the other HDD, I have created a partition for WinXP, installed WinXP,
and another Fat32 partition for files too.

It's been a pain to install Windows, because the computer would restart by
itself. Eventually I succeeded in installing Windows,

Does that mean it kept restarting even WHILE installing
windows (I mean, in error, not the typical/intentional
reboots the installer does)? If so, check the temps and
voltages, fan operation. It's also good to check memory
prior to installing (any) OS, I suggest memtest86+ for that.

but the computer
still restarts alone when using Windows.

Disable windows' "restart on error" setting if you hadn't
already (Google for directions if needed).

When I switch on the computer, it
starts Windows with the welcome screen, and then restarts alone, this may
happen 1, 2, 3 times, and eventually Windows is fully loaded. When I can
use Windows, randow applications crash without using them (minimized) such
as MSN Messenger. Then, at times, the computer restarts alone. I have run
Sisoft Sandra benchmark, which didn't report anything wrong about my
hardware.
Any idea what is wrong?

After all of the above, check Windows' Event Viewer.
Does the system not exhibit any problems in *BSD?

You might see if the board has a newer bios available too,
and clear CMOS afterwards.

Is it running off a sufficient power supply? If generic
brand, maybe not regardless of the labeled wattage.
Old September 5th 05, 09:28 AM
philo

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:59:17 -0300, Admin wrote:

Em Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:24:20 -0300, philo escreveu:

try clocking the machine down a bit and see if you get a stable system

The machine is not overclocked. One important thing: If I unplug the other
HDD, I don't seem to have the problem anymore...

well i guess you found the problem then!

Old September 5th 05, 01:28 PM
Admin

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 05:28:12 -0300, philo wrote:

The machine is not overclocked. One important thing: If I unplug the
other
HDD, I don't seem to have the problem anymore...

well i guess you found the problem then!

I'm not quite sure. The other HDD works very well. And I think it may be
my PSU. I'll change it for a 450W PSU to see if it solves my problem...

--
Thanks,

Admin.
Want to buy me a book? http://tinyurl.com/78xzb
Old September 5th 05, 02:17 PM
philo

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:28:18 -0300, Admin wrote:

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 05:28:12 -0300, philo wrote:

The machine is not overclocked. One important thing: If I unplug the
other
HDD, I don't seem to have the problem anymore...

well i guess you found the problem then!

I'm not quite sure. The other HDD works very well. And I think it may be
my PSU. I'll change it for a 450W PSU to see if it solves my problem...

well...that will be easy enough to do...
please post back with your results

Old September 7th 05, 05:08 PM
Admin

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:17:44 -0300, philo wrote:

well...that will be easy enough to do...
please post back with your results

It is not the PSU (I changed for a more powerful one). It's not the HDD
either (I changed it too!).
I also changed the DDR Ram memory. I'll take the PC to the shop.