Better PCI card but poor performance

Old December 31st 03, 12:26 AM
Simon

Default Better PCI card but poor performance

Thanks everybody for nice replies to my previous questions about PCI/AGP.

So as advised, I got a "very good" PCI video card, and just installed and
tried on my machine (has no AGP slot). The card is XFX GEFORCE FX 5200 128M
DDR PCI. But the machine is having big video delay and sound loss problems
with the new card!

- When playing video games even small ones, sound is gone intermittently,
and some lags with video.
- When playing any video movies like mpeg or avi, video gets lots of delays.

I used to use NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64, and never got these problems. The
new card gives nothing better except I can play games that needs T&L without
sound sometime.

My machine is HP P4 - 2.4/256M. Would adding some RAM help? say, double it
to 512M? Anything else I can do?

Advise Please. Thanks!

Simon

Old December 31st 03, 01:29 AM
DaveL

Check for IRQ conflict. Sounds like your video card is fighting with the
sound for pci bus time.

Dave

Old December 31st 03, 04:32 AM
The Black Wibble

"Simon" wrote in message ...
Thanks everybody for nice replies to my previous questions about PCI/AGP.

So as advised, I got a "very good" PCI video card, and just installed and
tried on my machine (has no AGP slot). The card is XFX GEFORCE FX 5200 128M
DDR PCI. But the machine is having big video delay and sound loss problems
with the new card!

Ditto what Dave wrote. Go to Start-Run, enter in msinfo32 at the run prompt, expand the "Hardware Resources"
entry in the left pane, select "IRQs", and see if the graphics card shares the same IRQ with the audio
hardware. Move the card to a different slot if it does.

Tony

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

Old December 31st 03, 08:55 AM
Steve K

"Simon" wrote in message

Thanks everybody for nice replies to my previous questions about PCI/AGP.

So as advised, I got a "very good" PCI video card, and just installed and
tried on my machine (has no AGP slot). The card is XFX GEFORCE FX 5200
128M DDR PCI. But the machine is having big video delay and sound loss
problems with the new card!

- When playing video games even small ones, sound is gone intermittently,
and some lags with video.
- When playing any video movies like mpeg or avi, video gets lots of
delays.

I used to use NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64, and never got these problems. The
new card gives nothing better except I can play games that needs T&L
without sound sometime.

U uninstalled the ol driver first?

Old December 31st 03, 05:29 PM
Steve

I think T&L on a PCI card is a potential problem. T&L causes a lot of bus
traffic as the CPU is passing a lot of 'raw' data to the video card for
image generation. Normally that traffic is limited to the AGP bus. With
your PCI video card that traffic must share the PCI bus with everything else
that's going on - that's bad. If you can turn T&L off (if the game allows)
and see if performance isn't better. Other than that you're SOL.

Old December 31st 03, 07:21 PM
Simon

I checked IRQ, there is no conflict. I did even change to another PCI slot,
but still the same problems. I removed the original driver before updating
to latest nvidia driver.

Help please.

Simon

Old December 31st 03, 09:31 PM
The Black Wibble

"Simon" wrote in message ...
I checked IRQ, there is no conflict. I did even change to another PCI slot,
but still the same problems. I removed the original driver before updating
to latest nvidia driver.

Help please.

Simon

If there's other devices in PCI slots you good try temporarily disabling them by going to System Properties
(WIN+Break)- Hardware- Device Manager, right clicking on the relevant entry and selecting Disable. Then see
if the delays cease when playing various media files.

Tony.