Using PC for music...questions..

Old April 2nd 05, 03:58 AM
rferoni

Default Using PC for music...questions..

Hello everyone,

I realize this isn't the best place to post this but I can't find anywhere else. If someone can direct me the right way I
would appreciate it. I've recently loaded iTunes on my PC and imported a bunch of my cd's. I'm wondering what the best solution is
to just use my PC as my stereo. I know I need to get new PC speakers. Does anyone know which speaker set up would be good for
getting very quality sound from a pc? I tried running an extension cable from my sound card to my reciever but that sounded like
garbage. I eventually want to have my PC running speakers that will be mounted throughout my home. If anyone can direct me to
links where I can get this info it would be greatly appreciated....thanks..

ron

Old April 2nd 05, 05:42 AM
Ed Cregger

"rferoni" rferoni-AT-hotmail.com wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I realize this isn't the best place to post this but I can't find
anywhere else. If someone can direct me the right way I would appreciate
it. I've recently loaded iTunes on my PC and imported a bunch of my cd's.
I'm wondering what the best solution is to just use my PC as my stereo. I
know I need to get new PC speakers. Does anyone know which speaker set up
would be good for getting very quality sound from a pc? I tried running
an extension cable from my sound card to my reciever but that sounded like
garbage. I eventually want to have my PC running speakers that will be
mounted throughout my home. If anyone can direct me to links where I can
get this info it would be greatly appreciated....thanks..

ron

I have a home studio that is based upon my PC's. Some of the cheaper sound
cards do sound bad, but many of the later sound cards are pretty good. I
have the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. It is inexpensive and does a fair job of
amateur hi-fi reproduction. The biggest secret to good sound is to match the
impedances properly between your sound card and what ever you are driving
with it.

I'm currently using two Samson self powered near field monitors. They are
being driven directly by an M-Audio Omni Studio set up (Delta 66 sound
card). Before that, I was driving them from my laptop's headphone output.
They sounded good that way too. They need a subwoofer to help out on the
really loud and low stuff, but are passable as is, even for an old rocker
like me, in stand alone mode.

I am not endorsing any of the brands that I have mentioned. Better stuff can
be had these days for about the same price. My stuff is over a year old.

Matching levels and impedances is very important. Anything can be distorted
if driven too hard. Let us know what you decide upon and how it sounds. Good
luck.

Ed Cregger

Old April 2nd 05, 07:07 AM
rferoni

Ed,

Thanks for the response. Now I have more questions. It sounds to me like you have your sound card connected directly to
powered speakers. I want to connect my soundcard to my reciever, letting the reciever handle the power for my speakers. How do I
go about matching the impedances? I don't even know how to figure out what the impedances are ...

Old April 2nd 05, 08:06 AM
Ed Cregger

"rferoni" rferoni-AT-hotmail.com wrote in message
Ed,

Thanks for the response. Now I have more questions. It sounds to me
like you have your sound card connected directly to powered speakers. I
want to connect my soundcard to my reciever, letting the reciever handle
the power for my speakers. How do I go about matching the impedances? I
don't even know how to figure out what the impedances are ...

ron

I have done the same thing that you are wanting to do without a problem. I
have an old Marantz 2220B receiver that I used to drive my passive hi-fi
speakers with for several years, with both 1/8" output soundcards and
soundcards equipped with normal RCA phono plugs without a problem.
Naturally, the RCA phono plugs provide the closest match, but if you limit
the output of the soundcard to the 1/8" (3 mm) output, it will work
satisfactorily.

If the sound is distorted, reduce the volume on the computer until it cleans
up. Then you can increase the volume on your receiver.

Radio Shack provides cables/adapters to do either deed with ease.

The RCA phono outputs are the standard for hi-fi, but the 1/8" (3mm) output
is usable too, as long as you keep the volume down a bit.

Please feel free to ask more questions.

Ed Cregger

Old April 2nd 05, 04:11 PM
Ruel Smith

"rferoni" rferoni-AT-hotmail.com wrote:

I*know*I*need*to*get*new*PC*speakers.**Does*anyone *know*which*speaker*set
up*would*be*good*for getting very quality sound from a pc?

Say no mo

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=712

You can get them he

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...119-106&depa=0

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old April 2nd 05, 10:59 PM
rferoni

ok got it all figured out. It sounded like garbage cuz I had it hooked up to the phono inputs on my reciever. Thats a nono.
Hooked it up to the cd inputs on reciever and voila! no problems....

ron

Old April 3rd 05, 07:32 PM
jaster

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:59:54 -0500, rferoni wrote:

ok got it all figured out. It sounded like garbage cuz I had it hooked up
to the phono inputs on my reciever. Thats a nono. Hooked it up to the cd
inputs on reciever and voila! no problems....

ron

If your receiver supports 5.1 replace the PC soundcard with one that has
spdif 5.1 or better output or hook it up to the multi-channel inputs.
Music is 2.1 but videos and some games are 4.1+