center speaker problems, to any expert, pls help

Old March 9th 05, 04:38 PM
Antioch

Default center speaker problems, to any expert, pls help

Hello, I have Logitech X530 (5.1) hooked up to a SB Live Card on my PC. All
the plugs from the speakers have a place on the back of machine on the card
without confusion. Problem is I cannot get any sound from the center speaker
ever, even though it works in the SB test. I have already checked the
settings in the windows sound file location and changed the to 5.1 yet
nothing. Thanks for any help.

Win Xp Pro SP2

Old March 9th 05, 09:56 PM
Lenny

Problem is I cannot get any sound from the center speaker ever

If you switch the plugs around so one of the side speakers become center
speaker and other way around, you can check if there's a problem with the
plug, and/or speakers. Try that!

Old March 9th 05, 09:57 PM
ediab

creative labs is a terrible company to deal with. for one they never admit
it's their product which is deficient, and secondly their english
translators are unqualified to say the least. I would ditch SB and go with
Realtek among others.

Old March 10th 05, 12:04 AM
Antioch

Thanks Lenny, I already tried that and the speaker does work, but that still
only makes it a 4.1. To ediab: If I can't resolve this seemingly easy
technical issue I will "ditch" SB for sure. Take Care.

Old March 10th 05, 01:40 AM
Lenny

Thanks Lenny, I already tried that and the speaker does work, but that
still
only makes it a 4.1.

Your issue is a most vexing one. I would recommend you:

A - check Creative's speaker applet AND the standard windows control panel
multimedia applet and make SURE 5.1 speakers are enabled. There is an option
in Creative's applet to synch the setting there with the windows multimedia
applet to make sure they both are set the same way, check if that's been
disabled somehow.

B - if this won't solve your problem or you've already done this a million
times and torn out your hair in frustration, I suggest you uninstall the
drivers using the control panel's add/remove programs thingy and then run
creative's driver cleaner. It should be available from their website -
well-hidden, no doubt. Then re-install the latest available driver set and
see if things have improved. It might also be time for a harddrive spring
cleaning , AKA, windows format and re-install...

Good luck.

Old March 10th 05, 07:32 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

Antioch wrote:
Hello, I have Logitech X530 (5.1) hooked up to a SB Live Card on my PC. All
the plugs from the speakers have a place on the back of machine on the card
without confusion. Problem is I cannot get any sound from the center speaker
ever, even though it works in the SB test. I have already checked the
settings in the windows sound file location and changed the to 5.1 yet
nothing. Thanks for any help.

Win Xp Pro SP2

You'll only ge sound from the centre speaker if you turn on CMSS for
stereo sources. This can be done from Playcentre, in the player view
when you expand the panel on the right.

You should also get a centre channel if you play back a DVD (with 5.1
sound ) with the player set to SPDIF output and the Live's AC-3 decoder
turned on. Alternatively you could set yer DVD player to 6 speaker mode.

Games which support DirectSound 3D or DS3D with EAX will give you a
centre channel (unless its based on the Quake 2 Engine (like the
original Half-Life), in which case the centre will be dead. More modern
DS3D games will give you a centre channel.

Playing back MP3s won't give you centre channel unless you turn on CMSS.