Automatic wire strippers!

Old April 14th 17, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Automatic wire strippers!

VanguardLH wrote:

NOTE: John Doe changed the original list of newsgroups
from: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
to: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.spam

This is a troll manuever to flame a different an unrelated
newsgroup. John was hoping that I would detect his sly change.

Corrections:

This is a troll manuever to flame a different AND unrelated newsgroup.
John was hoping that I would NOT detect his sly change.
Old April 14th 17, 03:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Paul wrote:

John Doe wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-VISE-GR...+Wire+Stripper

Tried it on some regular power cord wire. Wonderful. I so
wish I had this decades ago. Then again, it wasn't available
decades ago. Not that I do that much, but it would have been
so much nicer. Wire stripping has always been a hassle. I do
not like losing a strand or two of stranded wire. Apparently
this tool does not damage the wire.

Automatic wire strippers have existed for a long time.

We had a pair at work.

Shurly you can find images on Google...

Only problem with them was:

1) Price. They charged "industrial" prices for them.

I expected this one to cost a lot more.

2) Probably didn't work quite as well as the one you got.

I played with ours at work, but felt no attraction to them.
They were a novelty item in the tool chest.

I did most of my work with this style.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...Stripper-Wire/

Everyone has probably seen this kind, and these suck.
It takes a good deal of practice to keep the wire
nicking to a minimum. I used these for some number of
years as a hobbyist, before I got my first T-5 style
stripper. The non-automated ones still take practice,
but the ones in the following picture make the practice
brutal. I expect a lot of people, this is all they had
on sale at the hardware store.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...9937p.html#srp

And there are all sorts of insulation types, each with
their own foibles. Not every wire stripping job is easy.

I have very good coordination, as in mouse-slinging
multiplayer gaming and juggling. But I find the large
majority of wire stripping to be a pain in the rear.

Besides the issues you mention, one obvious problem with the
typical wire strippers you point to is the fact the cutting
edges are angled in opposite directions. When you are pulling
to remove the insulation, one side of the cutter is digging
into the wire and the other side is moving away from the
wire. But I doubt the junk can be made any other way.
Otherwise it will not cut into the insulation.

Check out some of the videos on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/ZytYjq9X78A?t=204

Old April 14th 17, 03:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

According to this guy it was $35 in 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKMAhbQfYsg
Old April 14th 17, 11:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 21:01:44 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

If that is what you think, good for you. Not me! It is not
just having the right size stripper, it is holding and
twisting the thing and then ending up losing a strand or two
of wire no matter how carefully I do it. Totally irritating.

Another idea is to research the Asian market for tools on Ebay. The
quality of Asian electronics tools can be very good for moderate
prices -- if a good lead on a good model/make can be found.

$30US for a wire stripper, auto or not, in the Asian market, I'd be
surprised if the relative value on that didn't show for some very
efficient alternatives.
Old April 14th 17, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

John Doe wrote:

Paul wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

As mentioned in my other reply, the auto-stripper is not cutting the
insulation. It is pinching the insulation between the top and bottom
teeth in the right-side jaws and then TEARING the insulation away. That
is the same technique used with the cutters in a needle nose pliers.
You do NOT cut the insulation when using the cutter blades. You PINCH
the insulation. Whether you use the needle nose or auto-stripper, you
are tearing the insulation. Cutting into it means a [high] potential
for nicking the wires which makes them break when flexed or worse
cutting some strands of the twisted wire. This is the same way you do
coax: you SCORE (not cut through) the outer sheath to tear it away to
expose the braided ground shield. Cutting into insulation should only
be done by specialized stripper designed for specific cabling because
those tools know just how far to cut into the insulation.

The auto-stripper affords consistent operation versus someone that
rarely does any wiring; however, experienced electricians have done this
so often that it has become muscle memory, like you learning to juggle
so you eventually aren't a clumsy juggler dropping everything. You'll
see the same difference between someone that has done lots of soldering
(wires, PCB, or plumbing) versus a one-time DIYer. Someone might come
up with a tool that cuts copper pipe, unburrs the end, sands the end to
remove oxide, and pre-applies rosin but I doubt many plumbers are going
to bother toting it around. More likely that tool, if it exists, in the
shop where lots of baseboard radiators or other repetitive construction
were applied.

I've yet to see an electrician toting around an auto-stripper. It could
speed up their work but they're pretty pharking quick already. Seems
more like a tool to keep in the shop for repetitive work on numerous
wiring jobs or something a hobbyist would like to compensate for their
lack of expertise. The tool has its place and this one is cheap;
however, auto-strippers aren't new and I've yet to see an electrician
packing one in his toolbox but I have seen them toting specialized
crimpers, like for RJ-45/11 jacks or for coax connectors.

If you're looking for something handy to fill up your toolbox, yep, this
tool is one. My toolboxes are so full that putting in more gadgets
means having to get a bigger toolbox. The older I get, the harder it
gets to lug around a bigger toolbox which still ends up packed tight
with tools and parts. The more space in a toolbox, the more gets packed
into it and the heavier it gets. If I was planning on doing a big
wiring job, like replacing the old circuit breaker box that has Franklin
breakers (no longer available since they went out of business around 40
years ago) and adding more circuits so the breakers snap off less,
especially for the garage, yeah, I'd get one of these during the
planning stage. For putting in a replacement wall switch, nah, I
wouldn't bother buying one of these. For building my own PCs (to keep
this discussion on-topic here), I definitely wouldn't need this tool.

It's a good tool. It employs the same technique that I use with a
needle nose pliers to tear away the insulation (not cut through it). I
have an old auto-stripper but it does cut into the insulation so I have
to be careful in which recess the wire is placed (I start oversized and
reduce if needed). At first, I thought it was a neat gadget. Now it
just sits and is rarely used in my electrical toolbox.
Old April 14th 17, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

John Doe wrote:

According to this guy it was $35 in 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKMAhbQfYsg

Pricing varies wildly. I found one place where it was $16 new and
another place where they wanted $60 new. Comparison shopping is still a
cost saving activity.

Irwin's own site doesn't actually sell their wares. When you click on
their shop link, you get a Google Shopping search (used to be Froogle):

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...300&gws_rd=ssl

Their pliers has the "Vise Grip" logo which is trademarked. They have
their own Vise Grip page (http://www.irwin.com/tools/brands/vise-grip).
From http://www.irwin.com/about-us, looks like anything labelled Vise
Grip means it is an Irwin tool. Interesting. Didn't know that.
Old April 14th 17, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.spamf
John Doe[_9_]

I would be surprised if the poster can provide modern
citations with experienced electricians downplaying the
value/usefulness of Irwin's auto stripper in their work. If
that were true, there would be YouTube videos showing the
comparison. The poster should make a comparison video and
show us how he avoids cutting up the wire while it is
efficiently stripped. Or at least point to one?

Anything on YouTube (or elsewhere on the Internet) to support
his opinion? Anything at all?

On USENET, I have seen some alleged dentists saying there is
no benefit to electric toothbrushes. When in fact every
scientific study shows there is a great benefit to using an
electric toothbrush versus a manual toothbrush.

Talk is cheap. Everybody has an opinion. And some people just
love to troll.

Old April 15th 17, 05:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Black[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017, Paul wrote:

John Doe wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-ad...wrenches/self-

adjusting-wire-stripper

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-VISE-GR...ting-Stripper-
2078300/dp/B000OQ21CA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1492117062&sr=8-3
&keywords=Self-Adjusting+Wire+Stripper

Tried it on some regular power cord wire. Wonderful. I so
wish I had this decades ago. Then again, it wasn't available
decades ago. Not that I do that much, but it would have been
so much nicer. Wire stripping has always been a hassle. I do
not like losing a strand or two of stranded wire. Apparently
this tool does not damage the wire.

Automatic wire strippers have existed for a long time.

We had a pair at work.

Only problem with them was:

1) Price. They charged "industrial" prices for them.
2) Probably didn't work quite as well as the one you got.

They look like a good idea, which is why I've had a set for almost 40
years, getting it for Christmas one year.

But they don't work out the same way.

You get used to using cutters to strip off insulation, getting the depth
right, and it's relatively easy.

You do have to fuss with automatic wire strippers, to get the wire into
the right hole (though some use some other method like a plastic razor
blad or something so you don't have to fit the wire into the hole).

But the biggest issue is they don't work where they might best be used.
If you have a short piece of wire, it's hard to hold the wire and then the
cutters to get the insulation off. But if the wire is too short, the tool
hasn't got enough space to hold the wire, either.

I thought they'd be great if you needed to strip a piece of wire already soldered into a
circuit, where again you may not get a tight grip on the wire, and the
soldered joint isn't strong enough to hold as you strip. But the auto
wire strippers are big, and use up a lot of space in operation, and that
limits their use in tight chassis.

So after a period of using them, I exiled them to the back of the tool
drawer, a neat idea that doesn't work out so well in everyday use.

I suppose if I was stripping a lot of wire of the same length, they might
be useful.

Michael

I played with ours at work, but

felt no attraction to them. They were a novelty item in the tool chest.

I did most of my work with this style.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...Stripper-Wire/

Everyone has probably seen this kind, and these suck.
It takes a good deal of practice to keep the wire
nicking to a minimum. I used these for some number of
years as a hobbyist, before I got my first T-5 style
stripper. The non-automated ones still take practice,
but the ones in the following picture make the practice
brutal. I expect a lot of people, this is all they had
on sale at the hardware store.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...9937p.html#srp

And there are all sorts of insulation types, each with
their own foibles. Not every wire stripping job is easy.

Paul

Old April 15th 17, 07:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

John Doe wrote:

I would be surprised if the poster can provide modern
citations with experienced electricians downplaying the
value/usefulness of Irwin's auto stripper in their work. If
that were true, there would be YouTube videos showing the
comparison. The poster should make a comparison video and
show us how he avoids cutting up the wire while it is
efficiently stripped. Or at least point to one?

Anything on YouTube (or elsewhere on the Internet) to support
his opinion? Anything at all?

On USENET, I have seen some alleged dentists saying there is
no benefit to electric toothbrushes. When in fact every
scientific study shows there is a great benefit to using an
electric toothbrush versus a manual toothbrush.

Sorry but YouTube is not the end-all to education on how to be an
electrician. Gee, all I would need is to watch YouTube videos to become
a master electrician, uh huh. Grow up. The Internet is not the end-all
to all education. As I mentioned, I've watched REAL electricians
(humans, not videos) doing their jobs for decades. I've yet, in all
that time, seen one take out a pair of auto-strippers when they are ON
THE JOB and using the tools they toted with them. Auto-strippers are
something they use back at their static workplace. At a workbench with
lots of toolboxes or cabinets or pegboards, you can have loads of tools.

Talk is cheap. Everybody has an opinion. And some people just
love to troll.

Don't be so hard on yourself. As a warning to others, yep, YOU are the
troll. Again you attempt to flame an unrelated newsgroup by copying
this thread to there (this time free.spamf). Okay, you act like a troll
so you'll get treated like one. Tis what YOU want. Bye.
Old April 15th 17, 03:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.spam
John Doe[_9_]

Exactly. All troll and no substance...