printer driver driver

Old August 18th 15, 01:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

Default printer driver driver

Seems to me, someone should be able to write a printer driver driver,
that will take the output from XP, 7, 8, or 10 and convert it to what
the output from win98 or XP would look like, to be used as input for old
printers. So that old printers -- and other accessories -- could be
used with new versions of windows.

So it woudln't have to be printer-specific,

If this won't work, how come?

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Old August 18th 15, 05:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Good Guy

On 18/08/2015 13:06, micky wrote:
Seems to me, someone should be able to write a printer driver driver,
that will take the output from XP, 7, 8, or 10 and convert it to what
the output from win98 or XP would look like, to be used as input for old
printers. So that old printers -- and other accessories -- could be
used with new versions of windows.

So it woudln't have to be printer-specific,

If this won't work, how come?

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Of course there are people writing drivers for old printers for new OS.
The only problem is that they have over-advertised themselves and so
people are wary of them. They stick their Ad in almost anything, even
in articles when you focus on a particular word, something pops up.
People have said enough is enough and so they just ignore them.

Do a search and you will find lots of them but be careful about them.
Some are good and some are pure evil. they will take you and your bank
to cleaners.

Old August 18th 15, 06:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Stuart[_3_]

In article ,
micky wrote:

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Beats me why Microsoft have to change things so that older printer drivers
don't work any way. After all, a program sends the print request to the OS
which then sends the information to the driver, why change stuff?

Well, actually Microsoft are in cahoots with hardware manufacturers to
make sure you have to keep buying new printers etc.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Old August 18th 15, 08:17 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 17:43:46
+0100, Good Guy wrote:

On 18/08/2015 13:06, micky wrote:
Seems to me, someone should be able to write a printer driver driver,
that will take the output from XP, 7, 8, or 10 and convert it to what
the output from win98 or XP would look like, to be used as input for old
printers. So that old printers -- and other accessories -- could be
used with new versions of windows.

So it woudln't have to be printer-specific,

If this won't work, how come?

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Of course there are people writing drivers for old printers for new OS.

That's not what I referred to. I'm talking about one printer driver,
one total (not printer-speciffic or maker-specific, so that only one is
needed) that connects any printer driver written for say, XP, or 98, to
the newer OS. The same driver driver for every XP printer driver. for
example.

The only problem is that they have over-advertised themselves and so
people are wary of them.

Wariness would not be an issue, any more than it is for imgburn or any
of the other well-known good freeware, that some people have used and
said it was good. .

They stick their Ad in almost anything, even
in articles when you focus on a particular word, something pops up.
People have said enough is enough and so they just ignore them.

Do a search and you will find lots of them but be careful about them.

I've never seen what I'm talking about on the web. not even one, let
alone the "some" that you talk about below.

Old August 18th 15, 08:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:00:55
+0100, Stuart wrote:

In article ,
micky wrote:

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Beats me why Microsoft have to change things so that older printer drivers
don't work any way. After all, a program sends the print request to the OS
which then sends the information to the driver, why change stuff?

Well, actually Microsoft are in cahoots with hardware manufacturers to
make sure you have to keep buying new printers etc.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason. I wonder what MS gets out of it.
Old August 18th 15, 09:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Tony

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
micky wrote:

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Beats me why Microsoft have to change things so that older printer drivers
don't work any way. After all, a program sends the print request to the OS
which then sends the information to the driver, why change stuff?

Well, actually Microsoft are in cahoots with hardware manufacturers to
make sure you have to keep buying new printers etc.

I do not believe that to be true.
My involvement with Microdoft over many years always with printing and inaging
(never as an employess) has never indicated any such thins.

Old August 18th 15, 09:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Tony

micky wrote:
Seems to me, someone should be able to write a printer driver driver,
that will take the output from XP, 7, 8, or 10 and convert it to what
the output from win98 or XP would look like, to be used as input for old
printers. So that old printers -- and other accessories -- could be
used with new versions of windows.

So it woudln't have to be printer-specific,

If this won't work, how come?

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Good idea.
Please be aware that when the internals of the OS are upgraded it may be
impossible to remain compatible with older printer drivers without compromising
the new OS release.
Microsoft does not write the printer drivers anyway, the printer manufacturer
provides them.
Tony

Old August 18th 15, 09:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Tony

micky wrote:
In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:00:55
+0100, Stuart wrote:

In article ,
micky wrote:

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Beats me why Microsoft have to change things so that older printer drivers
don't work any way. After all, a program sends the print request to the OS
which then sends the information to the driver, why change stuff?

Well, actually Microsoft are in cahoots with hardware manufacturers to
make sure you have to keep buying new printers etc.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason. I wonder what MS gets out of it.

That is not what happens at all.
Tony

Old August 18th 15, 09:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Tony

Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote:
Stuart wrote:
In article ,
micky wrote:

[...]

Sorry here is it again without the typos.
I do not believe that to be true.
My involvement with Microsoft over many years always with printing and imaging
(never as an employee) has never indicated any such thing.
Tony

Old August 18th 15, 09:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:26:23
-0500, Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote:

micky wrote:
Seems to me, someone should be able to write a printer driver driver,
that will take the output from XP, 7, 8, or 10 and convert it to what
the output from win98 or XP would look like, to be used as input for old
printers. So that old printers -- and other accessories -- could be
used with new versions of windows.

So it woudln't have to be printer-specific,

If this won't work, how come?

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Good idea.
Please be aware that when the internals of the OS are upgraded it may be
impossible to remain compatible with older printer drivers without compromising
the new OS release.

Not without compromisiing some of the new print features**, you mean,
right?

Features most people never use, I'll bet. The 82 or so letters,
numbers. and basic punctuation marks are the same from one OS to
another, I woudl think, but if they're not, it would be easy enough to
map one OS to another. Plus another 10 or so printer control
characters. 99.99% of everything I write doesn't use more than that.

Then there is graphics. I don't know how that is controlled, but
mapping one output to the other is bound to be possible.

**And are they still coming out with new print features? What is left
to have? Maybe 3-D or holograms or human bladder printing, but I'll
never want to use those.

Microsoft does not write the printer drivers anyway, the printer manufacturer
provides them.
Tony

I assume that means that MS releases the format of the output to the
driver, of all the MS programs. Well, iiuc not the MS programs but the
OS itself determines the output to the printer, including what is
generated by non-MS programs. And it's uniform, no matter what program
is doing the printing, right? Otherwise the driver would have to have
spearate sections for different programs that print.