OT The death of the home stereo system

Old September 27th 13, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

Default OT The death of the home stereo system

(CNN) -- For many years, it was a rite of fall.

You moved into your dorm room or new apartment. You started unpacking
the car. And the first thing you set up in your new place was the
stereo system: receiver, turntable or CD player, tape deck and
speakers.

The wires could get tangled, and sometimes you had to make shelving
out of a stack of milk crates. But only when the music was playing on
those handpicked CDs, mix tapes or (geezer alert!) vinyl records did
you move in the rest of your stuff.

Daniel Rubio wouldn't know.

To the 23-year-old, new dorm rooms and new apartments have meant
computers, iTunes, Pandora and miniature speakers.

"All I had to bring was my laptop. That's pretty much what everyone
had," says Rubio, who attended Emory University in Atlanta and now
works for a local marketing and communications firm. "It was actually
pretty good sound. It would get the job done."

http://cloud.feedly.com/#subscriptio...%2Fedition.rss

I don't have the know how to make this happen, but I could see a home
stereo could be saved if you could program it with your computer.

I have been reading for long time that in the future even car tires
will have IP address. If stereos had the technology to be controlled
by the computer they would still be useful.

I can see moving into a dorm with the laptop first, but you are most
likely going to have a wireless router. If the stereo could be
connected to the laptop wirelessly and given a password then I could
see where big stereo speakers would move in next.

You really wouldn't even need a laptop. You could control the stereo
with a cellphone. It would be nice, in a dorm environment, where the
stereo would play play lists from more than one phone/laptop at a time
in a round robin configuration.

This could also work with bluetooth in the car.
Old September 27th 13, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Black[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013, Metspitzer wrote:

(CNN) -- For many years, it was a rite of fall.

You moved into your dorm room or new apartment. You started unpacking
the car. And the first thing you set up in your new place was the
stereo system: receiver, turntable or CD player, tape deck and
speakers.

The wires could get tangled, and sometimes you had to make shelving
out of a stack of milk crates. But only when the music was playing on
those handpicked CDs, mix tapes or (geezer alert!) vinyl records did
you move in the rest of your stuff.

Daniel Rubio wouldn't know.

To the 23-year-old, new dorm rooms and new apartments have meant
computers, iTunes, Pandora and miniature speakers.

My "computer speakers" are a pair of small bookshelf speakers, fed by a
full blown stereo receiver I got at a garage sale for $7.00. The speakers
were bought at some other sale for about the same amount. My bedside
system is about the same, though smaller speakers.

I get way more value for the money. And yes, MP3s mean not that great
sound, but I'd never put it through the tiny tinny speakers that are in
most 'docking stations".

It's amazing, one can see small stereo systems tossed out when the
students leave, likely replaced with something smaller that has smaller
speakers and is magically labelled a 'docking station".

Michael
Old September 27th 13, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 22:11:18 GMT, (DK)
wrote:

That said, the idea that mp3 on any of those teeny-tiny audio
"systems" produce a sound comparable to the well-built
analog setup is completely laughable. They are just good
enough for masses and the hi-fi craze of the 1980s was a
huge overkill for that same masses.

Decent headphones and FLAC over MP3 and it should be somewhat better
in magnitude, than Thomas Edison recording of his dog barking on wax.
Of course The Lone Ranger exclusively recorded for radio station
broadcast playback to a nation with radios is somewhat different from
Nine Inch Nails' _Closer_, which garnered the some greater popularity
recently, along with perhaps what NIN is known to offer by way of
direct downloads. . .

CLOSER
You let me violate you
You let me desecrate you
You let me penetrate you
You let me complicate you
(Help me...)
I broke apart my insides
(Help me...)
I've got no soul to sell
(Help me...)
The only thing that works for me
Help me get away from myself,

I wanna **** you like an animal
I wanna feel you from the inside
I wanna **** you like an animal
My whole existence is flawed
You get me closer to God
Old September 28th 13, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

This is just weird, trying to turn this into an analog versus digital debate...

dk no.email.thankstospam.net (DK) wrote:

In article , Metspitzer wrote:

You really wouldn't even need a laptop. You could control the stereo
with a cellphone.

It's all just status games. Stuff not really far removed from "my
dick is bigger than yours". Where it was big-ass HI-FI system
before, it is the gold-plated iPhone now. It's not about function,
it's about status.

That said, the idea that mp3 on any of those teeny-tiny audio
"systems" produce a sound comparable to the well-built
analog setup is completely laughable. They are just good
enough for masses and the hi-fi craze of the 1980s was a
huge overkill for that same masses.

DK

Old September 28th 13, 12:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

wrote:

In article , Metspitzer wrote:

You really wouldn't even need a laptop. You could control the stereo
with a cellphone.

It's all just status games. Stuff not really far removed from "my
dick is bigger than yours". Where it was big-ass HI-FI system
before, it is the gold-plated iPhone now. It's not about function,
it's about status.

I don't think it is "ALL" about status. Having a set of speakers you
can listen too when you are in a group takes a stereo. A laptop or
cellphone just doesn't have the power. Lots of out door activities
(or....gasp......housework) are nice with a large set of speakers. You
should be able to play the mp3s you have on your phone over a large
set speakers without having to relinquish your phone.

Old September 28th 13, 12:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv3M5OvCJuQ
Old September 28th 13, 02:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 19:47:56 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

I don't think it is "ALL" about status. Having a set of speakers you
can listen too when you are in a group takes a stereo. A laptop or
cellphone just doesn't have the power. Lots of out door activities
(or....gasp......housework) are nice with a large set of speakers. You
should be able to play the mp3s you have on your phone over a large
set speakers without having to relinquish your phone.

Ah, see where you're coming from ...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/27/tech/i...stereo-system/

(about the point where Google's 'most popular' is more relevant to me
than what the media touts for its esteem).

I researched sound engineers before selecting these, based on a regard
for even and faithful reproduction without coloration;- It's a little
different from the obsequious Polk Audio "experience." (Similar dome
tweeters to my Studio Reference Series Polks, the Alesis are more
overall accurately engineered, and if paired for a quad array, they're
complimentary.) Running a pro sound processor (Behringher rack
stuff), and have them EQ-d for a wet signal (another Behringer mixer
routing path) to duplicate Sony headphones, which characteristically
are received for a "Sony Sound" entailing emphasized upper
frequencies.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEM1MK2

Fairly reasonable for a bill and some change (a discontinued sale,
apparently, as I saw some priced for $600 at the time of purchase).
Open fronts, though. (Recently pulled the wire mesh cage from a
vacuum amplifier, cut it in half and mounted it to the front of the
speakers for protection.)

Of course, then there's the other half - the amp. Picked up an ART
(East Coast engineering and make). Regular retail cost.

CNN would at times manifestly like to talk ****. Any kid paying $50K
for college tuition, these days, won't be long before figuring a
difference and advantage to classier studio-grade gear when leaving
dorm-room sound piping, to realize a commodiousness suited better
stations and equipment for non-restrictive listening.
Old September 28th 13, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 22:11:18 GMT, (DK) wrote:

| In article , Metspitzer wrote:
|
| You really wouldn't even need a laptop. You could control the stereo
| with a cellphone.
|
| It's all just status games. Stuff not really far removed from "my
| dick is bigger than yours". Where it was big-ass HI-FI system
| before, it is the gold-plated iPhone now. It's not about function,
| it's about status.
|
| That said, the idea that mp3 on any of those teeny-tiny audio
| "systems" produce a sound comparable to the well-built
| analog setup is completely laughable. They are just good
| enough for masses and the hi-fi craze of the 1980s was a
| huge overkill for that same masses.

There's a definite connection between the death of good home stereo systems and the
death of golden ears. Much of the public just doesn't seem to demand audiophile
sound quality anymore. They are perfectly happy with obviously reduced fidelity and
increased distortion just so long as it's loud enough. At a time when there has been
greater clamor for always better quality visuals, audio has been allowed to reverse.

Well, at least most of the music they listen to wouldn't profit any from better sound
reproduction.

Larc
Old September 28th 13, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_7_]

On 09/28/2013 08:31 AM, Larc wrote:

There's a definite connection between the death of good home stereo systems and the
death of golden ears. Much of the public just doesn't seem to demand audiophile
sound quality anymore. They are perfectly happy with obviously reduced fidelity and
increased distortion just so long as it's loud enough. At a time when there has been
greater clamor for always better quality visuals, audio has been allowed to reverse.

Well, at least most of the music they listen to wouldn't profit any from better sound
reproduction.

Most kids these days have suffered hearing damage as the result of being
exposed to the thumper cars which seem to popular, so it's no surprise
that they have no ability to discern the finer sounds of life.

Jon

Old September 29th 13, 02:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Hench[_2_]

On 9/27/2013 7:47 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
hout having to relinquish your phone.

That said, the idea that mp3 on any of those teeny-tiny audio
"systems" produce a sound comparable to the well-built
analog setup is completely laughable. They are just good
enough for masses and the hi-fi craze of the 1980s was a
huge overkill for that same masses.

DK

It would be nice, in a dorm environment, where the
stereo would play play lists from more than one phone/laptop at a time
in a round robin configuration.

This could also work with bluetooth in the car.

I use a docking station when I cook/clean/renovate at home. When the
wife is gone I play sports talk on the docking station too. Fantasy
football and fantasy baseball talk shows!

For me they are perfectly fine and convenient. We have no stereo in our
house. in fact until last week we only ever use tv speakers, but i
bought one of those 5.1 home theatre in a box things from Walmart for $69.

I really don't give two flying fricks about sound quality so count me in
on that docking station craze fan list