Can't print photos from Windows 8 (64-bit)

Old September 25th 13, 10:34 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]

Default Can't print photos from Windows 8 (64-bit)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

David Rance writes:

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 Gene E. Bloch wrote:

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:31:38 +0100, David Rance wrote:

Well, thanks for all your suggestions, folks. They were all quite
logical. But in the end the solution was simply *not* logical. Why
should a 64-bit barf at being told to print borderless? It just doesn't
make sense.

Somehow I completely agree :-)

I'm guessing that it's a bug in the driver, and furthermore I'm
pessimistic enough to believe that HP won't fix it.

I hope I'm wrong about that.

I don't think you're wrong, judging by my past experience with them. I
had to ditch perfectly good but older HP printers when upgrading to
Win XP some years ago simply because they didn't provide updated
fully-featured drivers for them. What annoyed me more than anything
was that they said the updated drivers were fully featured but were
only basic. I wasted many phone calls with them where they pointed me
to what they said really were fully featured drivers. I won't say they
told me lies because I do think that the people I spoke to really
believed what they were saying, in ignorance of course.

At least the updated driver for Win 8 really is fully featured even
though the 2610 is fairly old, even though the 64-bit driver seems to
have this bug. Can't say the same for the 8750 - that's just a basic
updated driver, but doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Why do I stick with HP printers? Well, I like that fact that the
printing head *is* the cartridge so the whole thing is replaced when
the ink runs out. And they're not bad printers.

To second Paul's suggestion of trying a thin border, I would also try
borderless, but adjust (slider bar) the "overprinting" until it is
minimum (which should be 0, i.e., exactly the physical dimensions of the
media).
See if it works: maybe there is broken logic around the comparison of
media size and printing area size.

I've tried that. No change!

David

Old September 25th 13, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

David Rance writes:

[...]

I've not read all of this thread but one thing that just occurred to
me is that I believe Win8 has a "repair" option that will restore
things to "as they were" as far as the windows OS but will NOT mess up
your installed programs. You might try that. Again, I've not read
this whole thread but your problem sounds really weird and seems like
it would be more then just a problem with the printer driver -
something hosed at the OS level is what seems more likely to me.
Old September 25th 13, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]

David Rance writes:

[...]

I think I ought to précis the situation as it is now because, when I
posted the original message, I hadn't experimented enough to describe
the problem accurately. I have posted further facts as they became known
but now I ought to just repeat them in a concise manner. I am using an
HP Photosmart 2610 AIO.

Photos will not print using Windows 8 64-bit if I specify borderless. It
doesn't matter whether they are large format or small. The file is
reportedly sent to the printer but the printer doesn't receive it. In
all other respects printing works correctly. I have tried the various
workarounds suggested by others but this made no difference whatsoever.

I have used two different computers running Win8 64 with the same
result, so it would appear not to be a problem with the installation
that would require a repair.

I have also tried printing borderless on two further computers running
Win8 32-bit. These all printed correctly. There was no problem.

When I downloaded the printer driver from HP there were different
drivers for 64-bit and 32-bit.

My conclusion is, therefore, that there is a flaw in the 64-bit driver.
Either that, or that there is a problem with the way the 64-bit OS
interacts with the 64-bit driver.

I do have an HP Photosmart 8750. I tried just one print with that from a
64-bit driver. There were problems, but I have not had time to
experiment further. In any case, that 8750 has its own faults which
could mask any fault from the HP driver.

It was my hope when I started this thread that someone would write to
say that they had had the same problem, whether or not they were using
the same or a similar printer with WIN8 64-bit. That would then be proof
enough to blame the 64-bit driver. But if someone were to write and say
that they've had no problems with the same setup then I would know I had
to look at my own computer(s).

David

Old September 26th 13, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

David Rance writes:

[...]

I could be wrong but can't you use the 32 bit drivers even on a 64 bit
OS setup? If so, try getting rid of the 64 bit driver and installing
the 32 bit one and see how that works.
Old September 26th 13, 02:35 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
Mort[_2_]

David Rance writes:

[...]

Hi,

My HP 8250 prints well, including borderless, on both my 32 bit and my
64 bit PCs. My drivers are of course from HP. This would seem to rule
out an HP driver error, inasmuch as their drivers work well with my 4 PCs.

I'm sorry that I cannot tell you what the problem is, only what it is not.

Good luck,

Mort Linder
Old September 26th 13, 09:15 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 Mort wrote:

[...]

And is that with Windows 8?

My drivers are of course from HP.

Likewise.

This would seem to rule out an HP driver error, inasmuch as their
drivers work well with my 4 PCs.

I'm sorry that I cannot tell you what the problem is, only what it is not.

But that is useful. Many thanks!

David

Old September 26th 13, 09:18 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]

[...]

I hadn't thought of that. It's worth a try, but it'll have to wait for a
week or so as I'm away for a week. Thanks for the suggestion.

David

Old September 27th 13, 09:09 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]

On 2013-09-25 5:36 PM, David Rance wrote:
[...]
I think I ought to précis the situation as it is now because, when I
posted the original message, I hadn't experimented enough to describe
the problem accurately. I have posted further facts as they became known
but now I ought to just repeat them in a concise manner. I am using an
HP Photosmart 2610 AIO.

[...]

I searched for drivers for this printer, and found several posts that
complained that the driver was not "full featured", ie, that it didn't
invoke all the features of the printer in Win 7

Question: just how old is this printer? If it's no longer made, it's
unlikely that HP will take the trouble to fix the driver.

It's old and no longer in production. I have suffered in the past from
HP updating only basic drivers. Back in 2008 I had an HP1120 and HP
claimed they had an updated full featured driver for Win XP - but it
wasn't. I made several phone calls to HP - and they kept assuring me
that the driver I'd downloaded *was* full-featured. In the end I gave
up.

However the driver for the Photosmart 2610 is not only updated for Win 8
(64-bit and 32-bit) but it really is full-featured. Yes, they have
updated the software for this printer even though it's no longer in
production. The problem is that, with the 64-bit version, it doesn't
print borderless!

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old October 30th 13, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 David Rance wrote:

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 Ashton Crusher wrote:

I think I ought to précis the situation as it is now because, when I
posted the original message, I hadn't experimented enough to describe
the problem accurately. I have posted further facts as they became known
but now I ought to just repeat them in a concise manner. I am using an
HP Photosmart 2610 AIO.

Photos will not print using Windows 8 64-bit if I specify borderless. It
doesn't matter whether they are large format or small. The file is
reportedly sent to the printer but the printer doesn't receive it. In
all other respects printing works correctly. I have tried the various
workarounds suggested by others but this made no difference whatsoever.

Just a postscript to this thread. I was about to try Ashton Crusher's
suggestion:

I could be wrong but can't you use the 32 bit drivers even on a 64 bit
OS setup? If so, try getting rid of the 64 bit driver and installing
the 32 bit one and see how that works.

and logged on to the HP website to download the 32-bit driver and
software. However, I saw that HP had issued an update to this software
for Windows 8.1. So I downloaded the updated 64-bit version for Win 8.1
on the basis that, you never know, they might have fixed it.

....AND THEY HAVE!!!

So everything now appears to work correctly. I won't say perfectly
because I don't know if tomorrow I might find another bug! But at the
moment I'm happy!

David