External Drive Dock to Allow Hotswap SCSI to Attach by USB?

Old November 24th 10, 05:14 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
W[_3_]

Default External Drive Dock to Allow Hotswap SCSI to Attach by USB?

NewerTech make a product named Voyager Q to interface SATA drives to a host
by USB, Firewire, or eSATA. This is sometimes called a "drive toaster"
because of the way you can mount a drive vertically into the enclosure
without the need for any tray. Does anyone make something similar for a
hotswap SCSI drive? It would be incredibly useful for forensics and the
occasional drive backup to be able to just slip a hotswap SCSI drive into
the vertical slot and hot plug it to the host.

Old November 25th 10, 04:47 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Maxim S. Shatskih[_2_]

What is the need in this?

SCSI drives are much more expensive.

So, you do the following:
- turn off the enclosure
- plug the usual SATA drive to it
- turn on the enclosure
- attach it to the host using USB, 1394 or eSATA. In eSATA case, you sometimes need to restart the host controller's driver using Windows Device Manager or the appropriate Linux/FreeBSD command line tools
- go on

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old November 27th 10, 04:33 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
W[_3_]

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message
What is the need in this?

SCSI drives are much more expensive.

I have existing servers that use SCSI drives. I want to make mirrors of
those existing SCSI drives to identical SCSI drives for backups, without the
hassle of having to prepare those backup drives into a hotswap tray, then
remove them from the tray later.

Old November 28th 10, 06:17 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Mark F[_2_]

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:33:59 -0800, "W"
wrote:

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message
What is the need in this?

SCSI drives are much more expensive.

I have existing servers that use SCSI drives. I want to make mirrors of
those existing SCSI drives to identical SCSI drives for backups, without the
hassle of having to prepare those backup drives into a hotswap tray, then
remove them from the tray later.

How often do you expect to do this and how many devices do you have to
deal with?

I have used one of the "internal" SCSI cables that came with an
Adaptec 29160 to connect to the external connector of the card.
I then used that connector on a SCSI drive that I put in a typical
external SCSI disk box, but I didn't bother to use screws to
fasten the drive in place and I didn't bother to put the covers
back on the external box.

This arrangement worked fine for backing up drives, but it
wouldn't work in a data center environment where you can't leave
loose pieces of hardware lying around. Also, stacking the external
boxes was a bit iffy in terms of physical stability - electrically
things worked OK.

ALSO: I have tried several of those external SATA things where you
just push the drive in and all of them resulted in drives running
hot enough so that I jury-rigged a fan to blow over the drive.
Again this resulted in an unstable physical arrangement that I
wouldn't trust if other people had access to the area.
(The heat probably wouldn't be a problem with SSDs.)

You should also ask yourself why you don't want to mount the
drive in a compact external box. For me the only reasons we
1. save space when I stored the disks that weren't online
and
2. being able to temporarily be able to switch the location of
with less work.

For reason 1, I decided that it wasn't worth the effort since I
would have to but the drives in foam for storage.

For reason 2, I used the physically shaky arrangements above, but
was nervous about knocking things over.

Old December 12th 10, 09:22 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
W[_3_]

Here is an example of when I needed to mount a SCSI device on a host through
USB or eSATA. Today I had a Windows 2000 box that I needed to virtualize
and bring over to a server. I can run the utility to turn the computer
into a virtual machine image, but how do I get the files from this box to
the destination. I have SCSI on the box and USB 1.0. Using USB 1.0, I
can mount a SATA drive, but the conversion utility tells me it will take 17
hours to run. If I can use a SCSI device that cuts down to two hours.

Assuming I target the files to a SCSI drive, once the conversion finishes,
now I need to get those files over to the virtual server. What I would
like to do is physically remove that SCSI device, attach it to an adapter to
USB or eSATA, and then hot attach it to the virtual server.

My application is simply getting quick connectivity to the drive, in order
to transfer data. I have no requirements for any kind of enclosure, and
this is not long term storage.

Unfortunately, I don't have an easy path to using SCSI. So I'm stuck with
a 17 hour job that will run to a SATA drive.

Old December 12th 10, 04:40 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Mark F[_2_]

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:22:13 -0800, "W"
wrote:

[...]

Maybe you can do it with two converters, SCSI to IDE and IDE to SATA

Here are a couple of SCSI to IDE.

From Walmart, of all places, with links to a couple of other products
http://www.walmart.com/ip/StarTech.c...i_sku=13214968

This allows use of IDE drive on SCSI controller, if I've read things
correctly. The company also makes a IDE to SATA that allow use of
SATA drives on IDE controllers. (I bought lots of stuff from them
including some IDE to SATA adapters, but not the SCSI to IDE,
but I haven't used the SSCI to IDE.)
http://www.addonics.com/products/io/ide_scsi.asp

Old December 12th 10, 04:50 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Mark F[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Oops, I missed this one, which seems to do exactly what you want:
Addonics ADSALVD160:
http://www.addonics.com/products/io/adsalvd160.asp
"Home Products I/O Converter SATA to SCSI Converter
The SATA -SCSI converter instantly turns any fast low cost Serial ATA
hard drive to a LVD160 SCSI hard drive. There is no driver to install
and it works practically with any OS. The converter also supports
SCSI performance up to Ultra LVD160 SCSI standard, ensuring maximum
performance of the Serial ATA hard drive."

NOTE: I can't find the product on the Addonics store; I'm not
sure if the store is broken or my browser. Froogle finds it for
about US$115 to US$130, but not at stores that I've dealt with.

Maybe you can do it with two converters, SCSI to IDE and IDE to SATA

Here are a couple of SCSI to IDE.

From Walmart, of all places, with links to a couple of other products

Old December 13th 10, 11:20 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Maxim S. Shatskih[_2_]

Buy a cheap SATA controller card (like low-end Promise) and SATA drive, install all of this to the w2k machine and go on.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old December 16th 10, 04:01 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
W[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

That product converts a SATA drive into a SCSI drive. I'm doing the
reverse: converting a SCSI drive into a SATA drive.

Old December 16th 10, 04:02 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
W[_3_]

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message
Buy a cheap SATA controller card (like low-end Promise) and SATA drive,
install all of this to the w2k machine and go on.

There were problems doing that but ultimately I did go that direction.