deleted mbr,boot sector

Old June 13th 09, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.arch.storage
Bill Todd

Default deleted mbr,boot sector

poster wrote:
On Jun 6, 8:46 am, "Ben Myers" wrote:
"poster" wrote in ...
played with numbers a bit in nde and voila partition data showed up
now how do you go about copying it to another place- when you edit/
mark the folder it copies just the list of files in it?(NortonDisk
Editor clipboard is only 4KB)

If you are referring to a Norton Disk Editor feature, you probably should
start a new thread or post in a Norton forum.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board?board.id=other

If not, I suggest you back up the existing partition table, then write the
new data to it, restart the computer and see if you have access to the
missing files and folders.

Ben

ok but
does anyone know how does norton d.e. access files with advanced
recoverz mode-is it using fat tables?Also confirm please-boot sector
info that needs to be input in sector 63 is for the first partition
and not for the hard disk as a whole

No - but http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk might be of some help.

- bill
Old June 17th 09, 07:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

poster wrote:

ok but
does anyone know how does norton d.e. access files with advanced
recoverz mode-is it using fat tables?Also confirm please-boot sector
info that needs to be input in sector 63 is for the first partition
and not for the hard disk as a whole

I'm very fimilar with Norton Disk Edit, it defaults to read only you
have to turn editing on (it's a safety feature).

Your boot sector or MBR is on the first sector of the hard drive and
holds all of your partition information not just the first one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

Haven't followed the entire thread, but play around with Disk Edit,
you can't do any harm, until you change it's config to allow edits.
It's how I learned how to use it. - I recovered one of my hard drives
with it a long time ago and swear by it now - but it took a lot of
playing around to find the problem.
--

Kind of a sad picture, that speaks volumes
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3605/...a463fdca_o.jpg
Old June 17th 09, 08:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.arch.storage
Jurjen Oskam

On 2009-06-17, wrote:

Your boot sector or MBR is on the first sector of the hard drive and
holds all of your partition information not just the first one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

The MBR doesn't hold all of the partition information. There's only room
for four partition table entries in the MBR. To be able to create more
partitions, a partition table entry in the main MBR can be set to type
"Extended" and point to a section of the disk where *another* MBR is
located. That other MBR has one partition table entry describing a
partition (called an "extended partition" by the OS) and optionally
another partition table entry of type "Extended" pointing to yet
another MBR, and so on.

In short: almost all information about any extended partitions *isn't*
stored in the main MBR.

--
Jurjen Oskam

Savage's Law of Expediency:
You want it bad, you'll get it bad.
Old June 17th 09, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

On 2009-06-17, wrote:

Your boot sector or MBR is on the first sector of the hard drive and
holds all of your partition information not just the first one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

The MBR doesn't hold all of the partition information. There's only room
for four partition table entries in the MBR. To be able to create more
partitions, a partition table entry in the main MBR can be set to type
"Extended" and point to a section of the disk where *another* MBR is
located. That other MBR has one partition table entry describing a
partition (called an "extended partition" by the OS) and optionally
another partition table entry of type "Extended" pointing to yet
another MBR, and so on.

In short: almost all information about any extended partitions *isn't*
stored in the main MBR.

Wow, news to me, never heard of the EBR before, but in my defense it's
still located on the first sector
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_boot_record
(good info at this link)

As for recovering my hard drive I should mention that I had run
DISKMAP.EXE from the NT resource kit, something I do just in case.

So I had the numbers to rebuild my partitions (extended as well), The
OP is going to have a bit more math to do than I did, Disk Edit will
help on this but it's a rough ride.

--

Kind of a sad picture, that speaks volumes
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3605/...a463fdca_o.jpg

Boot sector problem chadap Homebuilt PC's 4 October 14th 07 06:09 AM
Boot Sector OT? Mikie Dell Computers 6 December 18th 06 08:27 PM
Boot Sector Virus help Gabriel Knight Homebuilt PC's 5 November 3rd 06 02:53 PM
Boot sector writes S.Boardman General 4 January 2nd 04 01:54 PM
boot sector virus Kutsokutso Homebuilt PC's 5 October 2nd 03 07:23 PM