HP is next to downsize

Old May 22nd 09, 03:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Default HP is next to downsize

HP has announced it will be letting go of about 6000 employees over the
next year, due to declining sales and revenues. They recently purchased
a service business which has grown by almost 100%, helping to keep their
income up, but sales on desktop computers and printers are down nearly
25% each.

To put this into perspective, 6000 employees is only about 2% of their
worldwide staff, so they are doing better than many.

Art

--
If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/
Old May 22nd 09, 04:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mickey[_2_]

Arthur Entlich wrote:

HP has announced it will be letting go of about 6000 employees over the
next year, due to declining sales and revenues. They recently purchased
a service business which has grown by almost 100%, helping to keep their
income up, but sales on desktop computers and printers are down nearly
25% each.

To put this into perspective, 6000 employees is only about 2% of their
worldwide staff, so they are doing better than many.

Art

NEXT! HP and especially the DeskJet div in Vancouver has been
down-sizing for a long time. At one time it was the largest Div within
HP. Those days are long gone. At one point they had 2 different
campuses they owned there. Now they own none. They are now renting the
facility they are in. One of the 2 operations there is all but gone
with only a small percentage of the employees they had. Major cutbacks
and layoffs have been taking place over the past few months. I know
people (Eng & mgr) with over 20 yrs at HP that are gone. Those left
have had their benefit package greatly reduced.

There was a time when working for HP was a real privilege. Employees
were considered an asset. Those days are long gone and now employees
are an expense to be reduced. Bill and Dave would be turning over in
their graves if they knew what has happened to their once number one co
to work for and one of the best managed companies in the country.

What a shame.

Mickey
Old May 22nd 09, 05:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
news

HP has announced it will be letting go of about 6000 employees over the
next year, due to declining sales and revenues. They recently purchased a
service business which has grown by almost 100%, helping to keep their
income up, but sales on desktop computers and printers are down nearly 25%
each.

To put this into perspective, 6000 employees is only about 2% of their
worldwide staff, so they are doing better than many.

Art

--
If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

I read a recent article about HP profits - that their income from ink sales
has declined substantially.

Old May 25th 09, 05:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Hamilton

On Fri, 22 May 2009 08:07:30 -0700, Mickey
wrote:

Arthur Entlich wrote:

There was a time when working for HP was a real privilege. Employees
were considered an asset. Those days are long gone and now employees

Those days were over after Carly Fiorini took over.

-AH
Old May 25th 09, 09:07 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

This quote has been in part mis-attributed to me.

I believe it is Mickey who made this statement.

Old May 25th 09, 03:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mickey[_2_]

wrote:

Arthur Entlich wrote:

There was a time when working for HP was a real privilege. Employees
were considered an asset. Those days are long gone and now employees

Those days were over after Carly Fiorini took over.

-AH

Right you are Art. Was speaking with my son yesterday and darker days
lay ahead for Vancouver Deskjet Div.

I'm glad I retired prior to the downfall of the true HP.

Mickey
Old May 27th 09, 02:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Burt wrote:

I read a recent article about HP profits - that their income from ink sales
has declined substantially.

Fascinating. So the idea of offering consumers lower and lower value
(smaller cartridges that cost less in total but more in cost per page)
for their dollars results in lower income?

Who'da thunk it?

TJ
Old May 28th 09, 03:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
davy

843 to go in Erskine Nr.Glasgow, Scotland, see 'BBC News.'
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8071596.stm)

davy