QLA2342 - PCI Configuration Error

Old October 22nd 08, 07:09 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Stephan Weber

Default QLA2342 - PCI Configuration Error

Hello group !

i bought a used QLA2342. The card seems to work fine, because the
sansurfer-application recognizes it correct, but i can't connect to the
disk i connected to it for testing. Also i can't enter the BIOS of the
card. When i press Ctrl-Q nothing happens. When i boot my system i get
the message "PCI CONFIGURATION ERROR". I found out that the nvram should
be corupted and need to reset. QLOGIC didn't gave the needed information
(and files) to me, because the card is an OEM-Card.
So i want to ask if there is any guy here who can tell me how to reset
the nvram ?

kind regardes, Stephan
Old October 27th 08, 08:01 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

Stephan Weber wrote:
Hello group !

i bought a used QLA2342. The card seems to work fine, because the
sansurfer-application recognizes it correct, but i can't connect to the
disk i connected to it for testing. Also i can't enter the BIOS of the
card. When i press Ctrl-Q nothing happens. When i boot my system i get
the message "PCI CONFIGURATION ERROR". I found out that the nvram should
be corupted and need to reset. QLOGIC didn't gave the needed information
(and files) to me, because the card is an OEM-Card.
So i want to ask if there is any guy here who can tell me how to reset
the nvram ?

kind regardes, Stephan

so what type system is the card made for? It may not even have a BIOS like
a card for an intel based server might expect.

Old October 29th 08, 06:58 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Stephan Weber

Am Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:01:09 +0000 schrieb Cydrome Leader:

Stephan Weber wrote:
Hello group !

i bought a used QLA2342. The card seems to work fine, because the
sansurfer-application recognizes it correct, but i can't connect to the
disk i connected to it for testing. Also i can't enter the BIOS of the
card. When i press Ctrl-Q nothing happens. When i boot my system i get
the message "PCI CONFIGURATION ERROR". I found out that the nvram
should be corupted and need to reset. QLOGIC didn't gave the needed
information (and files) to me, because the card is an OEM-Card. So i
want to ask if there is any guy here who can tell me how to reset the
nvram ?

kind regardes, Stephan

so what type system is the card made for? It may not even have a BIOS
like a card for an intel based server might expect.

I don't know if the card was for an intel server or not. On the card is
only the serial number and, what i found out in the last days, the OEM-
Product-ID (the card was sold by NetApp, or in a NetApp-System).
When i have boot my system, the card is found by the sansurfer-
application and shows the BIOS-Version and the settings.
Old October 29th 08, 04:42 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

Stephan Weber wrote:
[...]

so it's a Netapp card. Its not going to have a BIOS like you expect to
find. This card was made for a dedicated NAS/SAN device, not a PC.

Your best bet it to just sell the thing to a netapp dealer or user and
get a normal FC card. If it has a Netapp sticker on it, it's likely to be
worth more than a normal and plain FC card.

Old October 30th 08, 08:54 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Stephan Weber

Stephan Weber wrote:
[...]

thanks for the tip ! But at least i bring it to work

If anybody else get into the same trouble:
-i first updated to the latest BIOS Version for my board (ASUS P5WDG2 WS
Pro; V0905)
-after that the order of the PCI-X-Slots had changed, so i did what i
have planed befor: change the cards in the PCI-X-Slots
-so now i have the Adaptec 39160 in PCI-X-1 and the QLA2342 in PCI-X-2
and both are working fine.