Question on partitioning a storage array

Old September 24th 08, 02:30 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
January Weiner

Default Question on partitioning a storage array

Hello,

please don't bash me if I ask stupid things. I am only an "acting admin".

The situation is as follows: a storage box (3TB) configured as RAID5. One
volume, one LUN. An FC switch. Three servers.

I would not like to use (for now) a clustering FS.

I am reluctant to configure / reconfigure the storage. I know too little
of these things.

Are the following schemas allowed:

1) connect the switch using FC to each of the servers, and then create
three partitions (e.g. with parted or fdisk). Then mount at each of the
servers only its own partition. Will that work reliably? In theory,
the switch gives block level access to the shared device; the servers
should not access anything simultaniously, and hence no data
inconsitency should occur.

2) the same, but use a LVM -- create logical partitions, and let the three
servers use each its own logical partition.

Again, sorry if the question is trivial or just plain stupid.

j.
Old September 24th 08, 03:57 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

January Weiner wrote:
[...]

I'd suggest not doing this. Three hosts sharing one partition table sounds
like disaster. Say you reinstall the first host with the partition
table. what happens to the other machines?

divide the 3TB as needed into three luns. zone the luns to the correct
hosts. Then there's no way at all they can botch up data on another
machine. Also, there's no reason to present data to a host that it doesn't
need to access anyways.

Old September 29th 08, 03:20 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:57:26 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

January Weiner wrote:
[...]

That's definitely the most sound way to do it. If you're not looking
at a CFS then you really need different luns per host.

~F
Old September 30th 08, 03:26 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Blazej Antczak

January Weiner pisze:
Hello,

please don't bash me if I ask stupid things. I am only an "acting admin".

The situation is as follows: a storage box (3TB) configured as RAID5. One
volume, one LUN. An FC switch. Three servers.

I would not like to use (for now) a clustering FS.

[CUT... ]

if this is not for cluster - divide destroy 1 LUN, create 3 separate LUN's.