Power Supply for New System

Old June 24th 03, 05:04 PM
Naj

Default Power Supply for New System

I am building a new system and I'm not sure if my current 300W power
supply is adequate. The system will have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo, AMD
2600+ Barton core, 512 MB 2700 memory (haven't decided what kind yet),
a Nvidia TI 4200 (64MB). Do I need to get a 400W supply? I don't have
a ton of money, and I can't afford one of the better ($50+) power
supplies. Any recomendations?
Old June 25th 03, 05:00 AM
jamarno

w_tom wrote in message ...

To include essential functions required by computers even 30
years ago and even required by Intel specifications today, that
supply costs typically $80+. To sell at a ridiculously lower
price, supply manufacturers dump products that are missing
essential functions such a line filtering and overvoltage
protection (OVP).

Even PC Power & Cooling occasionally sells its power supplies for less
than $80, and similar quality and capacity products are widely
available for less than half that much from dealers such as
Directron.com. These are not surplus specials or seconds but current
models and contain every disirable feature, with the possible
exception of thermal shutdown.
Old June 25th 03, 07:13 AM
ric

jamarno wrote:

Even PC Power & Cooling occasionally sells its power supplies for less
than $80,

They have a dozen or so that meet that criteria all the time, including
some in their Silencer & Turbo Cool series.
Old June 26th 03, 02:11 AM
Overlord

Power supplies vary quite a bit. What brand do you have?
I used to run 8 10k drives and 2 CDs in an AMD 450 system with lots of
fans, PCI cards, and such with a PC Power & Cooling 220watt PS.
Don't remember if I ran the same PS when I went to a 1gig Athlon....
Couldn't do that today with all the system components upgraded and
sucking power but it does show that higher quality parts perform well
while crap performs like..... well......

On 24 Jun 2003 09:04:05 -0700, (Naj) wrote:

I am building a new system and I'm not sure if my current 300W power
supply is adequate. The system will have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo, AMD
2600+ Barton core, 512 MB 2700 memory (haven't decided what kind yet),
a Nvidia TI 4200 (64MB). Do I need to get a 400W supply? I don't have
a ton of money, and I can't afford one of the better ($50+) power
supplies. Any recomendations?

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
]
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.
The spam was just getting overwhelming.
I had to...

Power supply question Frank Kirk General 5 April 18th 04 11:36 AM
Power Supply makes strange sound/ticking noise when scrolling windows MCDONAMW General 5 March 5th 04 05:19 PM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 10:42 PM
Computer doesnt start at all Robin General 6 January 11th 04 05:00 PM
System will not power on when AiW Radeon is attached to power connector... ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 8 November 18th 03 11:46 AM