starting from rocker switch

Old November 17th 06, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mike091

Default starting from rocker switch

Hi,
I have a strange problem concerning a PC I have just put together.
First of it starts as soon as the power cable is connected and rocker
switch is on, front power button has no effect. The fans start and you
can hear the hard drive but there is no output to the monitor.

One thing that concerns me is the motherboard is a Asus P5VDC-X with a
24 pin ATX power on the board yet the supply has 20 pin connector with
a separate 4 pin 12v connector that I've put in the other motherboard
connection. However this maybe of no consequence.

Could this be an earthing problem? The power was cutting out until I
tightened the fixings on the board.

Thanks for an advise,

Michael.

Old November 17th 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
OSbandito

mike, you should prob. give component list, incl. OS with inquiry.
The 24-pin connector is used with MB's equipped for PCIe. If you ARE
using a PCI Express graphics card which runs at over 40 watts, you'll
need to replace the power supply with a higher current-capacity 24-pin job.
see: http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversi...php/t6052.html

Old November 17th 06, 07:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

mike091 wrote:
Hi,
I have a strange problem concerning a PC I have just put together.
First of it starts as soon as the power cable is connected and rocker
switch is on, front power button has no effect. The fans start and you
can hear the hard drive but there is no output to the monitor.

One thing that concerns me is the motherboard is a Asus P5VDC-X with a
24 pin ATX power on the board yet the supply has 20 pin connector with
a separate 4 pin 12v connector that I've put in the other motherboard
connection. However this maybe of no consequence.

Could this be an earthing problem? The power was cutting out until I
tightened the fixings on the board.

Thanks for an advise,

Michael.

Starting immediately is not normal. I've experienced it here, when
one of my IDE cables was only half installed. It could be that
the stress caused by whatever connections were being made, caused
the logic feeding the PS_ON# signal to be put in the ON state.
So something could be pulling down one of the Southbridge local
voltage rails, and causing the logic to malfunction.

You could try placing the motherboard on a table. Connect the
PSU to it. Connect a power button to the PANEL header. See if
the bare motherboard is able to properly switch the PSU on and
off that way.

Running a 24 pin motherboard with a 20 pin power supply is OK.
The issue, is whether the loading of the motherboard is too
much for the 20 pin connector. If you had an SLI video configuration
(two video cards), the answer would be yes, that would be too
much current. But if you have just one video card, most
video cards are designed to limit PCI Express slot current
to about 4A or so. The single 12v wire on the 20 pin power connector
is rated at 6A. So the 20 pin connector is sufficient if the only
PCI Express card is a video card, and there are no other extraordinary
loads. (Note that the motherboard fan headers also draw
current from +12V, which is another 0.5A or so.)

If testing the bare motherboard, still results in the power coming
on before the button is pressed, and the motherboard is sitting
on a nice insulating surface, then you should probably
return the motherboard for warranty repair.

Paul

Compaq Presario shut down problem [email protected] General 6 August 27th 06 12:09 AM
Software alternative to KVM switch Allen Weiner General 4 May 22nd 06 09:57 PM
KVM extender and switch problem James Hanley General 2 December 16th 04 01:50 PM
Computer switches off ~misfit~ General 8 July 27th 03 11:38 AM
No power light or boot starting with ATX switch. Reset starts it fine? Wayne Morgan General 2 July 14th 03 05:25 AM