Computer won't turn on after power outage

Old August 16th 06, 02:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Computer won't turn on after power outage

My computer is connected to a surge protector, so it usually won't have
the typical power problems, but I was out today and had left it on.
When I came back, the power was off for about two hours and the
computer stayed off. I tried to turn it on, but no go. The surge
protector is working properly, everything else on the strip works, but
no power at all for the tower.

I unplugged the whole thing and tried to reset the PSU itself, turning
it off, and then on again, when I noticed that when I only had the
power cable in, it would emit a faint but extremely audible high
pitched noise. I turned off the PSU and the pitch would rise,
intensify, then die out. I suspect my PSU is dead, but I hope it's not
the case. Is there a possiblity of it being something else?
I checked inside the case and everything was plugged in firmly, no lose
connectors. I've never had a problem with stability or power supply
until today, and my comp is usually on 24/7 for seeding purposes.

And what I'm working with:
Antec Sonata II with 450W SmartPower
Asus A8N5X motherboard

Old August 16th 06, 02:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris Hill

On 15 Aug 2006 18:34:44 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Probably a dead psu. Could also be a dead mainboard. I'd start with
the psu since they are easier to change out. Your surge protector
probably just waved at the surge as it went by and fried your
computer; many are good for only one surge so replace the thing when
you get the computer going.
Old August 16th 06, 03:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Day

wrote in message oups.com...
[...]

The same thing happened to my son's computer a couple of
weeks ago. Same case, same mainboard, same PSU, same
symptoms, including the high pitched noise. He replaced
the PSU with a 350W SmartPower, and his PC is working
fine now. So the original PSU definitely had been fried.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Old August 16th 06, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
w_tom

Procedure for a solution has been posted many tmies previously such as
in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general on 7 Jun 2006 entitled "Dead
computer" or at
http://tinyurl.com/qcvuq

Start by breaking the problem into parts. For example, first verify
power supply system. From what is posted, nothing says that system is
working. This procedure can isolate possible problems to power supply,
power supply controller, or switch.

Once power supply system is confirmed, only then move on to other
possible suspects. First step to a solution was described previously
in that other newsgroup.

An adjacent surge protector does not do as you have assumed. For
example, we traced a destructive surge path through a network of
powered off computers because an adjacent protector provided additional
and potentially destructive paths through that machine.

Meanwhile, surge protector is installed to avoid problems that occur
typically once every eight years. Reasons for failure are numerous.
Far more than has been posted by speculations here. Find and eliminate
a problem step by step. Lights can illuminate; disk drives spin;
noises occur; and still any one part of a power supply system could be
100% defective. Get that meter and isolate a problem long before
replacing anything.

Old August 16th 06, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

This is a troll who searches the USENET archive for "surge
suppressor" and "lightning", and then jumps into the group to preach
his misguided sermon about surge suppressors being ineffective.
Seems strange, maybe he used to or currently does sell alternative
products.

Old August 16th 06, 07:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

John Doe wrote:

This is a troll who searches the USENET archive for "surge suppressor"
and "lightning", and then jumps into the group to preach his misguided
sermon about surge suppressors being ineffective. Seems strange,
maybe he used to or currently does sell alternative products.

Nope, just a massive problem with ear to ear dog ****.

Just another pathetic obsessive who hasnt actually got a clue.

Old August 16th 06, 03:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DustWolf

je napisal:
I unplugged the whole thing and tried to reset the PSU itself, turning
it off, and then on again, when I noticed that when I only had the
power cable in, it would emit a faint but extremely audible high
pitched noise. I turned off the PSU and the pitch would rise,
intensify, then die out. I suspect my PSU is dead, but I hope it's not
the case. Is there a possiblity of it being something else?
I checked inside the case and everything was plugged in firmly, no lose
connectors. I've never had a problem with stability or power supply
until today, and my comp is usually on 24/7 for seeding purposes.

A high pitched noise comming from the PSU would indicate that the PSU's
protection has been tripped. The PSU is monitoring the voltage for
sudden spikes and other irregularities, if the PSU detects something
like that, it switches off. If the PSU is continually switched on and
off trough this protection, you hear a buzz or a high-pitched noise.

In either case, your computer got something in the power outage that
the surge protector didn't catch. And the high pitched noise indicates
a serious problem with the voltage. Disconnect the PSU from the
motherboard and the power line and let both soak like this for some
time (e.g. 10 minutes) then reassemble the whole thing, connect it to a
different power socket and see if it works. If not, try replacing
components as others have recomended.

Old August 16th 06, 11:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

It does indeed sound like your PSU has failed. The easiest way to diagnose
the problem is to try replacing the PSU.

--
DaveW

----------------
oups.com...

Old August 17th 06, 12:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
w_tom

DaveW wrote:
It does indeed sound like your PSU has failed. The easiest way to diagnose
the problem is to try replacing the PSU.

Or other parts of the power supply subsystem have failed. Bad auto
mechanics would also just replace parts until something worked. Even
trained auto mechanics discover a problem before fixing it. It costs
less. It solves a problem the first time. It takes less time.

Possible reasons for failure are numerous. Find and eliminate a
problem step by step. Lights can illuminate; disk drives spin; noises
occur; and still any one part of a power supply system could be 100%
defective. Get that meter and isolate a problem long before
replacing anything. Replacing a power supply only on speculation is
called 'shotgunning' - a technique common even among inferior 1950 auto
mechanics. Use the meter. Save time. Save money. Don't shotgun.

D 805 Overclocking to 4 Ghz? Chalky Overclocking 53 June 12th 06 03:32 AM
ASUS K8S-MX, Computer Won’t Power Up! Paul Asus Motherboards 0 June 7th 05 05:13 AM
Won't Power Up after Power Outage Greg Lovern Homebuilt PC's 7 February 8th 04 01:47 PM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
How to Fix Your Computer Ben Dellar Overclocking AMD Processors 4 November 12th 03 01:39 AM