Problems recognizing hard disk Compaq Proliant ML350

Old October 9th 07, 11:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
martino

Default Problems recognizing hard disk Compaq Proliant ML350

Hi,
last week I bought a second-hand Compaq Proliant ML350 server. There
are 2 SCSI 9 GB drives in it, but they are not connected (I was told),
and there's also a 80 GB IDE drive, as well as a SCSI tape unit and a
CD-ROM drive.
The computer won't boot from the hard drive, but that's okay: the
seller told me he had formatted the drive (in another computer, why,
really?), but when I tried to install a copy of Windows on it the
procedure produced the message that "no hard disk was found on your
system".
The thing is, when I enter setup (F10) it says that there is no primary
drive 0 found (it sees the CD-ROM drive just fine). It's not possible to
change that entry in the setup from there.
What options do I have? Take out the battery for a while to reset the
BIOS? Try to get the Compaq Diagnostics CD's from somewhere? Something
else?
And yes, the drive is physically there, anmd it's spinning...

Thanks in advance

Old October 10th 07, 03:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

The BIOS autodetects both IDE hard drives and CD-ROM drives. There is nothing
you can do with the system BIOS settings to change that.

Check the cable connections at both ends, motherboard and drive.

Make sure that the 80GB IDE drive is jumpered either Master (MA) or Cable Select
(CS). The Master setting won't hurt, even if the cable is a newer cable select
type.

Could be a failed drive that spins but with a flaky circuit board... Ben Myers

Old October 15th 07, 05:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Something else?
And yes, the drive is physically there, anmd it's spinning...

Ever noticed the message Windows setup puts on the bottom of the screen for
a brief period of time when it is first loading?

"Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver..."

That's most likely what you need to do. Figure out who made the SCSI/RAID
controller, download the correct drivers, put them on a floppy and use that
when Windows setup is starting. That should get things cooking, assuming
that the drive(s) are good and have been configured into a proper array and
logical drive.

William