AP400 Professional Workstation

Old August 19th 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
AlanMuller

Default AP400 Professional Workstation

I'm trying to use one of these.....

It has the original SCSI drive installed. (About 4 GB)

When I plug in an IDE drive to the "primary" IDE connector it is
recognized. But the machine insists on trying to boot from it.

The boot order feature in the setup program can't seem to distinguish
between the two hard drives although other screens recognize all four
drives correctly (floppy, CD, IDE and SCSI).

Can anybody help me force the box to boot from the SCSI drive?

What is the maximum IDE drive size supported and how can in increase
it?

Thanks in advance....

am

Old August 19th 07, 07:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Like most name-brand systems with on-board IDE, whether there is on-board SCSI
or a freestanding SCSI adapter, the motherboard BIOS in the AP400 will always
boot from an IDE drive if one is present.

Some of the motherboard manufacturers like Asus had BIOS options to allow choice
of boot device. But I think you are out of luck with the AP400.

The system has an Intel 440BX chipset, so its BIOS is probably limited to a max
of 132GB, the same as most systems of this era... Ben Myers

Old August 21st 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh

Hi!

It has the original SCSI drive installed. (About 4 GB)

Do you know what SCSI controller the system features? Is it onboard or in an
expansion slot?

SCSI adapters that I'm familiar with generally have their own boot BIOS and
may not even show up to the system BIOS and its boot list. Make sure your
SCSI adapter or integrated chipset has its boot BIOS enabled and then remove
the IDE hard disk from the BIOS boot list. The SCSI adapter or chipset needs
to be allowed to let its BIOS initialize and take over the boot process.
With the main BIOS finding an IDE hard disk in the system and in the boot
list, the SCSI adapter never gets a chance to do that.

Can anybody help me force the box to boot from the SCSI drive?

Turning off the hard disk choice in the BIOS should do it, as long as the
SCSI adapter's boot BIOS is enabled.

What is the maximum IDE drive size supported and how can in increase
it?

A lot depends upon when the system was produced. If it was made sometime
around the early 2000s it could have a few different limits...up to about
2002 would probably have a limit at 137GB.

Sometimes obtaining and flashing to the latest available BIOS for your
system will allow you to use bigger hard drives.

William