120gig SATA Maxtor drived died after 2 weeks - read

Old June 22nd 03, 10:59 PM
John Smith

Default 120gig SATA Maxtor drived died after 2 weeks - read

Gee - how much will it cost though?????? :-)

J.

"Jim Morgan" wrote in message
M. B. wrote:

I bought my Maxtor 6Y120M0 on June 2, and was happily using it with my

new
system setup. Then around 2pm today, I went to "Save" a file, and hurt

this
LOUD clicking noise, and next thing I know my computer freezes and my

hard
drive is making UGLY noises. Upon rebooting the system, at the BIOS

restart,
my motherboard could not even find the drive.

If all else fails, WD has just announced they will be offering a 250 Gig
sata drive soon...

Jim

Old June 23rd 03, 12:34 PM
Jim Morgan

John Smith wrote:

Gee - how much will it cost though?????? :-)

J.

I dunno. But WD is kinda like the everready bunny - just keeps on
humpin'.... :-)

Jim

Old June 26th 03, 02:00 AM
Adam Selene

Greetings...

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:22:50 +0100, "John Smith" wrote:

Sorry to hear your news - useful info. Perhaps you just had a bad one?

J.
"M. B." wrote in message
.. .
2003. Kind of scary to have a brand new HD fail after less than 3 weeks of
usage. And this is the first time that I ever saw a HD just die in my 15
years of computing. I guess they don't make them as good as they used

to...

Oh I don't know, I once saw a brand new just unboxed and certified IBM tech installed
- IBM Disk-pack suffer from spontaneous chaotic reality failure - literally self
destructed flinging shards of jagged metal in a 320d arc of destruction... No **** - the
40d arc that it didn't hit was where I and the IBM tech were standing watching in awe as
this stone age washing machine sized "disk drive" exploded like a hand grenade...

Back then the "Computer room" was a seperate foam lined, sound proofed, air conditioned,
raised floor, lowered ceiling, etc.... almost bomb proof room, or else a whole lot of
other people would have been seriously injured! As it was, only about $2000 (USD circa
1986) worth of drywall, insulation, blank 8" floppy disks, and 10" tapes were on the
casualty list...

Now THAT was scary....

SATA power cable woes MC General 2 August 27th 04 01:51 AM
KV8-MAX3 with VIA 8237 SATA and WinXP x64 JasonB AMD x86-64 Processors 1 August 23rd 04 10:31 PM
XPOST - asus a7n8x deluxe SATA & SATA RAID! \(\) |V| 3 G A General 1 September 26th 03 06:02 PM
SATA vs. IDE Ransack The Elder Overclocking AMD Processors 32 August 23rd 03 03:04 PM
probs with win xp and sata hd P Gagg Overclocking 1 July 16th 03 08:05 PM