Two CD ROMs

Old June 25th 03, 05:33 PM
Phisherman

Default Two CD ROMs

I configured an old Toshiba CD ROM (XM-5602B) as a slave and connected
it to an exisiting "middle plug" IDE cable to a SONY CD ROM. After
rebooting Win98SE, it fully recognized the newly added CD and model
number automatically. The Device Manager says that the Toshiba CD Rom
is working properly, but when I try to access a CD on this drive using
Windows Explorer I get, "D:\ is not accessible. The device is not
ready." The Toshiba drive has a mini phone jack where I can hear it
play a music CD which tells me the CD Rom is operating properly. I
looked at the machine's Pheonix BIOS and it looks okay. Any ideas to
get this 2nd CD Rom working? Thanks

Old June 25th 03, 09:48 PM
Phisherman

The first CD Rom (the one on the end of the IDE cable) is set to
Master. The second CD Rom (the one in the middle) is set to Slave.
Today I tried switching master and slave, rebooted, then no CD ROM was
recognized. Then I tried slaving the Toshiba CD Rom off the hard
drive--with this, Windows sees and recognizes the Toshiba and model #,
but again I get "not accessible. The device is not ready." I am
close to giving up on this 2nd CD Rom--I still need help.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:13:57 GMT, "JAD" wrote:

what setting is the first cdrom set to?

.. .

Old June 26th 03, 02:42 AM
Pen

The CD may very well be dead. I had one go bad
way back. Played music fine, but wouldn't deal with
a data disk. Had to replace it one month after the
warranty ran out.

"JAD" wrote in message
thlink.net...
It may be dead....how about 'all by its lonesome' on 'master' on the
'secondary' set to 'auto'? Different ribbon?