plug in headphones - system locks up

Old August 29th 04, 09:24 PM
Rocky

Default plug in headphones - system locks up

I just installed a SB Live 5.1 into my Asus P4c800-ED system and installed
the latest drivers for it and the update too.

Everything works fine, but when I unplugged the green plug and inserted the
headphones plug, my whole system froze and I had to reset the PC.

Any idea why?

--
Rocky
www.jointopscentral.com | www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com |

__

Old August 30th 04, 04:43 PM
Lenny

Everything works fine, but when I unplugged the green plug and inserted

the
headphones plug, my whole system froze and I had to reset the PC.

Any idea why?

Could have been a static discharge when you touched the headphone plug to
the connector. That can cause stuff like what you describe to happen. It can
also nuke sensitive electronic components, such as your PC. Always make sure
the computer and all its accessories are plugged into the same GROUNDED wall
socket. Also, make sure to touch the metal chassis before you insert any
plugs, and only plug/unplug plugs that are MEANT to be hot-plugged (ie: not
serial/parallel cables, gameport, VGA etc).

There's no particular reason your computer should reset by plugging in a set
of headphones as the soundcard has no idea wether you have anything plugged
in at all, or what it is; it can't sense such things. If it's not static, it
could be a hardware problem.

Does your box reset EVERY time you plug in your headphones? Do the phones
work; ie, not shorted out? Try a different set of headphones and see if
the same happens.

Old August 30th 04, 06:19 PM
Rocky

"Lenny" wrote in message
Does your box reset EVERY time you plug in your headphones? Do the phones
work; ie, not shorted out? Try a different set of headphones and see if
the same happens.

Hi Lenny

The phones are fine, checked them out. Here's the wierd thing, and I'll
spell it out incase it makes any sense to you, it didn't to me.

I have two PCs, "old" and "new". On the old PC I habitually swapped speakers
and headphone plugs, no problem. If I wanted to use headphones, I just
pulled the speaker cable out and shoved the headphones one in, no problem.
Now, that old PC has sat idle for a couple of months, and this weekend
before I transplanted the soundcard out of it, and into the new one I
thought I'd better check that it still worked okay. So I plugged in the
speakers, worked fine, but when I pulled out the speaker plug, the system
froze. It had never done that before, but I thought nothing of it, and
transplanted the soundcard to the new PC.

That's when I discovered the same thing is happening on the new PC, i.e.
removing or plugging in an audio cable from the soundcard is locking the PC
up (not re-setting, just locking it up, so a reset is required).

Soundcard knackered maybe?

Thanks.

Old September 1st 04, 04:13 PM
Lenny

Soundcard knackered maybe?

If this is something you did regularly as you say, you probably wore out the
connector and now it causes a short or some such when the plug is
inserted/removed. It's not exactly professional-level grade on the hardware
mounted on these things - especially the more mechanical of the components.
Either do not change plug with the power on, or get a cord extension and
change on THAT plug - which should hopefully work better, heh heh - or get a
new soundcard. Which might not actually be such a bad idea, because the
Audigy2 ZS is a damn good card! Not THAT expensive either I might ad...

Old September 1st 04, 07:42 PM
Rocky

"Lenny" wrote in message
Soundcard knackered maybe?

If this is something you did regularly as you say, you probably wore out

the
connector and now it causes a short or some such when the plug is
inserted/removed. It's not exactly professional-level grade on the

hardware
mounted on these things - especially the more mechanical of the

components.
Either do not change plug with the power on, or get a cord extension and
change on THAT plug - which should hopefully work better, heh heh - or get

new soundcard. Which might not actually be such a bad idea, because the
Audigy2 ZS is a damn good card! Not THAT expensive either I might ad...

Good ideas there Lenny, thanks. What I have done is check the card was
seated properly, which it was, but I noticed that the backplate wasn't
sitting quite right where it fixes onto the rear of the PC, so I loosened
the screws, pushed it alittle, and tightened it all back up. I've done a
headphone swap twice since then and it has been okay, so maybe it was
shorting.

Fingers crossed it's all good now. If now I'll look at that ZS.

--
Rocky
www.jointopscentral.com | www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com |
www.tactical-elite.net

__

system just goes down as if plug is pulled Joe Zorzin Dell Computers 12 January 30th 05 11:47 PM
The best PC soundcards were made in 1999. mrbog PC Soundcards 141 December 29th 04 03:22 AM
FPS Really LOW - Whats Wrong? John W. Ati Videocards 5 January 20th 04 09:09 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
how much can i overclock my computer en how MiniDisc_2k2 Overclocking 2 July 6th 03 12:58 AM