Soundblaster Live 5.1 - echoing sounds?

Old August 26th 04, 04:05 PM
Mark Blunden

Default Soundblaster Live 5.1 - echoing sounds?

I recently installed a Soundblaster Live 5.1, and have had no problems with
it up until yesterday. When I started the PC, I found that all sound
effects - system sounds, played MP3s, etc. - had an annoying reverberating
echo, as if I were listening to them inside a large metal barrel.

The only piece of software I've installed recently is Baldur's Gate II with
Throne of Bhaal, which I reinstalled for the first time in ages. I mention
it because I vaguely remember having this same sound problem ages ago, and
that's the only major sound-using piece of software I have now that I might
have been using back then. Maybe the game altered a sound setting, and
didn't change it back? I did crash out of the game at one point about 2 days
ago, but the sound problem didn't start until a couple of restarts after
that. Also, the sound problem is still evident when I'm playing other games
such as Jedi Academy, but not when playing Baldur's Gate II.

Any ideas how to solve this? I've taken a look at DXDiag, but altering the
sound hardware acceleration doesn't seem to affect the problem.

--
Mark.

Old August 26th 04, 07:03 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

Try turning off EAX effects from the EAX control panel. Some app may
have changed it somehow. If you don't have Audio HQ installed, install
it and check. I suspect 'tis an EAX setting having being applied.

Old August 27th 04, 05:13 PM
Mark Blunden

Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
Try turning off EAX effects from the EAX control panel. Some app may
have changed it somehow. If you don't have Audio HQ installed, install
it and check. I suspect 'tis an EAX setting having being applied.

Thanks very much, that did it.

--
Mark.