No sound through SPDIF

Old August 18th 04, 01:59 PM
Kamil Urban

Default No sound through SPDIF

Hi! Recently I bought a DVD software decoder: Power DVD and I'm trying
to watch a movie on it. But the problem is I can't hear any digital
sound and my speaker system (DTT 2500 Digital) doesn't seem to sence
the DD format (no light appears when watching the movie). This is
happening when I choose the SPDIF sound output in Power DVD's
settings. When I choose 4 or 2 spekers I hear the sound correctly.
Here is my configuration: my Pioneer DVD player is connected to the
IDE connector and also the digital output 2-pin cable is connected to
the SPDIF input of my SBLive! Platinum card. The SB's Digital Out jack
is connected to the DD (AC-3) SPDIF input of the speaker system. Also
the SB card is connected to the LiveDRIVE II which in turn is
connected to a Digital DIN ad-on fitting in the PCI slot to which the
Digital DIN cable is connected which fits the Digital DIN input in the
speaker system. I understand that the SPDIF signal is processed not
through the digital DIN but through the Digital Out jack but unpluging
the DIN cable doesn't change much. Please help me cause I can't seem
to find a sollution to the problem. Waithing for your reply!
Greetings!
Old August 18th 04, 09:30 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

Try setting yer speaker output mode to "Digital Output Only" in Surround
Mixer when playing back DVDs. Since yer say it work with PowerDVD
decoding the sound in 2 and 4 speaker modes, I'm guessing you have a
Live!5.1 series card.

If that is the case make sure that AC-3 decode is unchecked in advanced
options in the speaker configuration applet.
Old August 18th 04, 10:04 PM
Lenny

Try setting yer speaker output mode to "Digital Output Only" in Surround
Mixer when playing back DVDs.

This should not matter. All that switch does is muting the analog outputs,
it doesn't actually affect the digital out...

Old August 19th 04, 09:14 AM
Kamil Urban

Sharanga Dayananda wrote in message ...
Try setting yer speaker output mode to "Digital Output Only" in Surround
Mixer when playing back DVDs. Since yer say it work with PowerDVD
decoding the sound in 2 and 4 speaker modes, I'm guessing you have a
Live!5.1 series card.

If that is the case make sure that AC-3 decode is unchecked in advanced
options in the speaker configuration applet.

Hi Thanks for your answer. "Digital Output Only" is checked. My card
is the SBLive! Platinium version not the Live!5.1. As for the AC-3
decode I read about this option a couple of times but I can't seem to
find it in my settings. I am using the surround mixer ver. 2.00.29
which is said to be the newest version for this card. On Creatives
site there is an article in the Knowledgabase which is about disabling
AC-3 decoding but it refers to another program (the interface looks
different). If you have any idea what the problem is I would be
gratefull!
Greetings!
Kamil
Old August 19th 04, 09:32 PM
Lenny

Ok. I called Creative support and they explained the thing about the
AC-3 decode option. The cards before 5.1 don't decode AC-3 so there is
no option to disable it.

Actually, the Live 5.1 doesn't decode 5.1 EITHER. It's all done in software
in the drivers. What the 5.1 version does have however is an extra stereo
speaker output, previous cards only supported four speakers maximum.

As for my main problem they don't have any idea...
Can anyone help?

Start Powerdvd and run a movie. Right-click and bring up the preferences
window. Select the information tab. Scroll down and see if the program has
identified the digital output and is using it. Go to the sound tab. Verify
the speaker environment is set as SPDIF. If all these are OK and you still
don't get dolby digital you'll have to turn to PowerDVD support, but they're
all indians who know sweet fanny adams about anything. I can't get DD or DTS
out my SPDIF either from my Audigy2 ZS and they couldn't answer even the
simplest of questions. Good luck with them, you'll need it. ^ ^
Fortunately I have a native 5.1 sound system, I just use the analog
outputs, but not everybody has that option. I don't recommend powerdvd
anymore, for starters they "update" the program annually and you'll have to
pay $70 all over again, but the difference is minimal and support is
TERRIBLE. I sure as hell won't buy the next version...