The Pesky PWDIS Feature In Newer SATA Specs

Old December 21st 17, 08:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
B00ze

Default The Pesky PWDIS Feature In Newer SATA Specs

Jesus what a bunch of morons!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdd...ure,36146.html

Now in a few years when you need to buy a new hard drive, you will have
to buy a new power-supply to go along with it.

Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society

Old December 21st 17, 10:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 02:47:36 -0500, B00ze wrote:

Now in a few years when you need to buy a new hard drive, you will have
to buy a new power-supply to go along with it.

Or, to make a deliberate point to avoid it, there's some standards.
And then again there are others, as useful as PCI-E slot.
Old December 21st 17, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

B00ze wrote:
Jesus what a bunch of morons!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdd...ure,36146.html

Now in a few years when you need to buy a new hard drive, you will have
to buy a new power-supply to go along with it.

Regards,

It's OK on desktops, because you could cobble together
some sort of adapter to place inline with *each* 15p Power
connector.

It's going to be a real bear on server backplanes, where you have
zero clearance to do anything, and the drive slides into a bay
with a 15p connector mounted and soldered to the server backplane.

Of course, this isn't the first time they've done this. There
is a pin defined on the 15p as a disk activity light (optional).

Someone at SATAIO needs a new hobby.

Just not in any standards-defining field.

I wonder if they have any engineers on staff ?

https://sata-io.org/

So the next question will be, does the signal have a pullup
or a pulldown on it ? If it has a pullup, then not only would
you need to cut the 3.3V wire running to the 15p, you'd
also have to ground the signal, as otherwise the pullup
on the drive end maintains a PWDIS state. It may have to be
actively pulled to ground, so when you cut the 3.3V wire,
you'd have to ground it as well. Which means slicing something
else to get access to a ground.

Paul
Old December 22nd 17, 03:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
B00ze

On 2017-12-21 11:18, Paul wrote:

B00ze wrote:
Jesus what a bunch of morons!
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdd...ure,36146.html
Now in a few years when you need to buy a new hard drive, you will
have to buy a new power-supply to go along with it.
Regards,

It's OK on desktops, because you could cobble together
some sort of adapter to place inline with *each* 15p Power
connector.

I don't have a lot of clearance for that in my case, I have some, but
inline would have to be relatively small...

It's going to be a real bear on server backplanes, where you have
zero clearance to do anything, and the drive slides into a bay
with a 15p connector mounted and soldered to the server backplane.

I had not thought of that but you are right!

Of course, this isn't the first time they've done this. There
is a pin defined on the 15p as a disk activity light (optional).

Someone at SATAIO needs a new hobby.
Just not in any standards-defining field.
I wonder if they have any engineers on staff ?
https://sata-io.org/

Lol, they must have. I have no idea why they thought using PIN3 and
making it active when HIGH was a good idea. Every single SATA cable out
there currently has that pin set to HIGH; those new drives will not work
anywhere...

So the next question will be, does the signal have a pullup
or a pulldown on it ? If it has a pullup, then not only would
you need to cut the 3.3V wire running to the 15p, you'd
also have to ground the signal, as otherwise the pullup
on the drive end maintains a PWDIS state. It may have to be
actively pulled to ground, so when you cut the 3.3V wire,
you'd have to ground it as well. Which means slicing something
else to get access to a ground.

I had definitively not thought of that! I have been discussing this over
@ EVGA; I was hoping that EVGA would be offering PSU cables for SATA
where PIN 3 was disconnected; they may have to offer cables where PIN 3
is grounded instead. Modifying my EVGA cables is always possible, they
are like ribbon cables, so they are easy to separate, cut and solder
together, but I'm getting old, I prefer just buying fixed cables from
EVGA to modding my own.

Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo "Au contraire, mon capitaine! HEEE'S BAAAACK!!!" -Q