Inkjet printers (slightly OT)

Old October 26th 15, 05:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
android

Default Inkjet printers (slightly OT)

In article ,
newshound wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Still musing over the options.

comp.periphs.printers might be helpful if you need more input.
--
teleportation kills
Old October 26th 15, 06:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle

On 10/26/2015 12:45 PM, android wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Still musing over the options.

comp.periphs.printers might be helpful if you need more input.

I had an HP932 printer, that I bought about 2000. It was used for basic
document printing, and pictures. It was not used a lot but when it was
used we would print a lot business cards with photo backs and
brochures. Before mom died we printed a lot of photos.

Point being we needed the cards and brochures about once per year, and
documents less than that. In the 15 years I have had the printer I
never had a problem with the print heads. I have bought its
replacement, as the HP5704 printer/scanner combination was the price of
the scanner. Since I have an inventory of ink for the 932, I will use
it for several more years

Old October 27th 15, 02:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
pedro[_3_]

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:28:55 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

I had an HP932 printer, that I bought about 2000. It was used for basic
document printing, and pictures. It was not used a lot but when it was
used we would print a lot business cards with photo backs and
brochures. Before mom died we printed a lot of photos.

Point being we needed the cards and brochures about once per year, and
documents less than that. In the 15 years I have had the printer I
never had a problem with the print heads. I have bought its
replacement, as the HP5704 printer/scanner combination was the price of
the scanner. Since I have an inventory of ink for the 932, I will use
it for several more years

That parallels my own experiences. I have an ancient HP690 inker that
gets used maybe once a year. Never misses a beat and never a sign of
printhead blockage. Had an Epson Colour Stylus 800 (? - dumped it
years back) which had to be used at least daily to avoid head
blockages - and when they occurred it was a serious exercise to
unblock the head. Currently for colour my main inker is a Canon
iP4000, which eats ink because of the deep cleans it does due to
intermittent use but is otherwise fine.

The common element across these units is ... the HP print head is in
the cart. Separate printhead machines have IMOE always been
problematic with blockage problems.

These behaviour patterns may be in part due to most of my printing
needs being A4 mono and addressed by a HP laser.

YMMV
Old October 27th 15, 06:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Peter[_23_]

On 26/10/2015 16:45, android wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Still musing over the options.

comp.periphs.printers might be helpful if you need more input.

I've had HP, a 3845 deskjet, for almost 15 years, and never had a head
dry out with occasional use, including 3 week vacation layovers. Best
thing about HP is the head is in the cartridge, costs a bit more but
very easy replacement.
Old October 27th 15, 06:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
nospam

In article , Peter
wrote:

I've had HP, a 3845 deskjet, for almost 15 years, and never had a head
dry out with occasional use, including 3 week vacation layovers. Best
thing about HP is the head is in the cartridge, costs a bit more but
very easy replacement.

until it comes time to profiling it.

inkjet printers species8350 Printers 2 April 18th 07 04:56 PM
A new respect for inkjet printers Arthur Entlich Printers 11 September 17th 05 11:55 AM
What inkjet printers have 64 bit drivers? mpx Printers 3 May 29th 05 02:00 PM
Colour laser printers compared to inkjet printers? Brian Printers 10 May 10th 05 01:25 PM
A3 inkjet printers jean-claude Bertier Printers 8 October 17th 04 11:20 PM