how to replace a canon ip4700 ink cartridge in the middle of a print run

Old August 3rd 15, 12:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Martin ©¿©¬[_2_]

Default how to replace a canon ip4700 ink cartridge in the middle of a print run

Hi,
can anyone please tell me how to replace an empty print cart on my
Canon ip4700 in the middle of a print run
I have a 518 page document I need to print
--
Martin
©¿©¬
Old August 3rd 15, 05:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

On 8/3/2015 6:56 AM, Martin ���� wrote:
Hi,
can anyone please tell me how to replace an empty print cart on my
Canon ip4700 in the middle of a print run
I have a 518 page document I need to print

Mind you I have not tried printing a file of that size but you might
want to try one of those "fake" print to PDF printers that are available.

You can do a Google search for "freeware PDF printer", minus the quotes,
for some examples or drop the freeware part if you want to consider
commercial versions that may not come with commercials. Even Foxit
Reader has a PDF printer available.

You might even already have one installed depending on what other
programs you have loaded on your machine. Some come with a print to PDF
driver and don't bother telling you they installed it. Tell your
computer to print a single page document and then rather than accept the
default printer see if a PDF printer shows up as one of the other
printer choices.

Then use the PDF program of your choice and tell it to only the large
PDF file but tell it to only print say 100 or less at a time, then grab
the next section of the PDF and print that, and so on.

I believe LibreOffice can be asked to open large PDF files and let you
break it down into smaller chunks for printing.

This way when the ink runs out you only have a part of the file to
reprint after replacing the cartridge and can go on from there.

I'd try printing say a 2 to 5 page test document to get the hang of what
ever PDF printer you select in case you should not like one and want to
switch to another.
Old August 3rd 15, 06:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:

Hi,
can anyone please tell me how to replace an empty print cart on my
Canon ip4700 in the middle of a print run
I have a 518 page document I need to print

Martin-

My Epson printer will stop and wait for me to replace the ink cartridge,
and then pick up exactly where it left off. I would expect Canon to do
the same. Perhaps a close reading of your manual will confirm that.

But do you really want to print a 518 page document on an inkjet photo
printer? Think about it. It probably costs you at least $1.00 per
page, maybe a little less if you refill your own ink cartridges.

Consider taking the document file to a place like Staples and have them
do it for you. It could cost a lot less than doing it yourself.

As an alternative, spend the $500+ on a Laser Printer and an extra set
of toner cartridges. Laser costs appear high, but cost per print is
often much less than for Inkjet printers. (Usually the bigger the toner
cartridge, the lower the cost per page.)

Fred
Old August 4th 15, 04:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Martin ©¿©¬[_2_]

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 13:44:42 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:

[...]

Thanks Fred, I am in the UK.
I have already printed this document once & my Canon, although
flagging up that the cart was empty, did not stop printing.
I have costed the run approx. & it comes out at:-
259 pages (duplex) £2.50
Ink (Black) 2 carts £1.50
So it is not a bank breaker
--
Martin
©¿©¬
Old August 4th 15, 04:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Martin ©¿©¬[_2_]

I am lready using Acrobat xi & am happy swith it
--
Martin
©¿©¬

Old August 4th 15, 05:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:

I have already printed this document once & my Canon, although
flagging up that the cart was empty, did not stop printing.

Martin-

Is there is an off-line button on the printer, or a pause option in your
printer driver? If not, then plan on printing in two sessions. Start
with a fresh cartridge and change when the first half is through
printing.

Fred
Old August 5th 15, 05:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Martin ©¿©¬[_2_]

On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:43:09 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:

I have already printed this document once & my Canon, although
flagging up that the cart was empty, did not stop printing.

Martin-

Is there is an off-line button on the printer, or a pause option in your
printer driver? If not, then plan on printing in two sessions. Start
with a fresh cartridge and change when the first half is through
printing.

Well Fred I have discovered that when I let the printer carry on
printing It DOES flag up a message to change the cart & lets me open
the lid, change the cart & it then carries on printing Hip-Hip
Tha is another thing I learned today.
Thank you very muck for your help
--
Regards