Why does a picture *not* print to paper in MS Word - but it printsfine to PDF (and then to paper)?

Old December 9th 13, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.text.pdf
Danny D.[_3_]

Default Why does a picture *not* print to paper in MS Word - but it printsfine to PDF (and then to paper)?

I inserted a photo into Microsoft Word, and then tried
to print it using the HP printer driver, but the rectangle
where the photo was is grayed out in the resulting paper.

Yet, if I print the Word document to PDF using cutePDF
freeware, and then I print that PDF on the HP printer using
the same HP printer driver, then, it prints just fine to paper.

Why does Word-to-paper fail while Word-to-PDF-to-paper works?
Old December 9th 13, 10:16 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.text.pdf
VanguardLH[_2_]

Danny D. wrote:

I inserted a photo into Microsoft Word, and then tried ...
to print it using the HP printer driver, but the rectangle
where the photo was is grayed out in the resulting paper.

Yet, if I print the Word document to PDF using cutePDF
freeware, and then I print that PDF on the HP printer using
the same HP printer driver, then, it prints just fine to paper.

Why does Word-to-paper fail while Word-to-PDF-to-paper works?

Not a FREEWARE issue. MS Word is payware. No problem in CutePDF.
Not a hardware issue. You can get the photo to print.
Not a PDF issue. You can print photos in PDF docs.

The MS Word newsgroups are thatta way ---.
..----------------------------------------'

'--- microsoft.public.word.*

(try the newusers group)
Old December 10th 13, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.text.pdf
Jax[_4_]

"Danny D." wrote in :

I inserted a photo into Microsoft Word, and then tried
to print it using the HP printer driver, but the rectangle
where the photo was is grayed out in the resulting paper.

Yet, if I print the Word document to PDF using cutePDF
freeware, and then I print that PDF on the HP printer using
the same HP printer driver, then, it prints just fine to paper.

Why does Word-to-paper fail while Word-to-PDF-to-paper works?

Let's see if super-Dustin knows the answer!

--
Jax
Old December 10th 13, 08:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
me

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 19:16:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

I inserted a photo into Microsoft Word, and then tried
to print it using the HP printer driver, but the rectangle
where the photo was is grayed out in the resulting paper.

Yet, if I print the Word document to PDF using cutePDF
freeware, and then I print that PDF on the HP printer using
the same HP printer driver, then, it prints just fine to paper.

Why does Word-to-paper fail while Word-to-PDF-to-paper works?

What do you see if you use the HP driver and chose print preview?

OS, Word version, which HP printer, which driver ( OS generic, full HP
installl) etc?
Old December 10th 13, 08:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Philip Tobias

On 12/10/13 1:15 PM, me wrote:
OS, Word version, which HP printer, which driver ( OS generic, full HP
installl) etc?

Also, what format is the image itself?

Perhaps the printer or the Word/printer combo do not properly support
that image format? When generating the PDF, the PDF software may be able
to correctly interpret and render the image, when the printer itself cannot?

Although I have not run into this lately, I recall having to install
some additional image filters in Word to enable support of different
formats, such as EPS.

Regardless, as long as you can generate a PDF, and print from the PDF,
you at least have a workaround.

Good luck. ...pt

--
Business/Communications start at http://www.PhilipTobias.com.
Grow your business using my technical and marketing communications -
Old December 12th 13, 01:44 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.text.pdf
David Rance[_3_]

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 Danny D. wrote:

I inserted a photo into Microsoft Word, and then tried
to print it using the HP printer driver, but the rectangle
where the photo was is grayed out in the resulting paper.

Yet, if I print the Word document to PDF using cutePDF
freeware, and then I print that PDF on the HP printer using
the same HP printer driver, then, it prints just fine to paper.

Why does Word-to-paper fail while Word-to-PDF-to-paper works?

Just a thought. Are you using Windows 8? I had a several problems with
printing from Word on Windows 8 (64-bit) to an HP printer.

The problems went away when I upgraded to Win 8.1.

FYI the problems I had were (1) not printing borderless photos, and (2)
not printing black text.

David

Old December 28th 13, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.text.pdf
Peter Flynn[_2_]

On 12/09/2013 07:16 PM, Danny D. wrote:
I inserted a photo into Microsoft Word, and then tried
to print it using the HP printer driver, but the rectangle
where the photo was is grayed out in the resulting paper.

Yet, if I print the Word document to PDF using cutePDF
freeware, and then I print that PDF on the HP printer using
the same HP printer driver, then, it prints just fine to paper.

Why does Word-to-paper fail while Word-to-PDF-to-paper works?

Probably because you're using low-quality software like Word.

///Peter

Which Inkjet Paper for Picture Book? Adam[_4_] Printers 18 December 4th 09 10:17 PM
Kodak 4" * 6" Premium Picture Paper size Geoff Printers 26 June 29th 04 09:26 AM
Kodak premium picture paper keithsmith Printers 6 May 3rd 04 09:53 AM
Picture paper FRED Printers 1 January 12th 04 09:09 PM
hp 5652 adjust picture on paper problem george Printers 6 October 5th 03 10:48 AM