Record From Set Top Box

Old October 13th 13, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Don[_23_]

Default Record From Set Top Box

Can anyone give me some ideas of what video capture devices are
compatible with cable TV high definition set top boxes & DVRs?
Preferably a device that can accept audio/video from an HDMI cable. Do
you need any other software besides the software that comes in the box?

Thanks
Old October 13th 13, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Don wrote:
Can anyone give me some ideas of what video capture devices are
compatible with cable TV high definition set top boxes & DVRs?
Preferably a device that can accept audio/video from an HDMI cable. Do
you need any other software besides the software that comes in the box?

Thanks

Limitations:

No card will record...

1) 1080p60. The highest allowed rates are 1080i60 or 1080p30.
If a card records 1080p60, it's "lawyers and DMCA time".
If a card came from China like that, it would be stopped
at the border.

2) Any content protected by HDCP (encryption). Connect to
an encrypting source, expect to capture "colored snow".

3) Possibly something protected by Macrovision if applicable.
You'll have to look that one up - I don't keep track of
what their current evil scheme is.

Generally, hardware is designed to honor protection schemes.
At one time, there were more sources of those capture
cards, and one of them had a keyboard shortcut or something,
to override one of the protections. But not HDCP or anything,
as that would require the presence of decryption keys
in the chip on the front end. And that is guarded pretty
carefully. You would need a device intentionally designed
for the purpose (which pirates already own, but you don't).
HDCP has been cracked, so it's mainly a matter of
getting a product through the border without it getting
caught.

*******

They make this format of capture device as well,
but for this, you must have a "good" USB3 interface.
Like a computer with A75 chipset, or one of the
Intel chipsets with USB3 right in the chipset. A good
chipset has a 500MB/sec back end, while an average
implementation of USB3 (i.e. the first USB3) has a
250MB/sec path there. And 250MB/sec is apparently not
fast enough for everything this box tries to do.

Capture devices either come with compression, or with
no compression, and I don't see any evidence they
bothered with compression on that particular one.

Paul

Record TV? Bodyag General Hardware 0 March 9th 07 10:05 PM
I cannot record from TV/VCR ?? Why not and How to do this please??? BOB Nvidia Videocards 3 April 3rd 06 10:00 PM
MMC 9.02 will not record TV Dave Ati Videocards 1 October 13th 04 08:54 PM
Can't record with MMC 8.8 Andrew MacLean Ati Videocards 1 January 27th 04 06:25 AM
How to record TV to my HDD ToMi Ati Videocards 3 October 14th 03 05:00 AM