23" $100 AOC - review

Old October 11th 13, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default 23" $100 AOC - review

$119, actual: AOC E2360SD
Black 23" 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight Monitor
3-yr AOC warrantee, fwiw

No reviews, as yet. Must be a fresh nomenclature/60-series upgrade,
so here's looking at you on it.

Typing, it's so flimsy, it's wobbling. (Easy: should have got some
spare iron if not bases around.)

Best figure you'd better know how to use color temp calibrators. It's
still not right with the contrast way down to 10%, 45% bright, and RGB
all up to 75%. Guess I'll need to pull some of my PRO grade monitor
calibration utilities. They're fun.

Looks like it'll do the trick for my eyes, over the 19" NEC, which is
a nicer picture "out of the box" for a 10-year-old LCD flatscreen.
Bigger, that is - that extra 5 inches helps. I came down from 32", so
that's not even saying what a 25" or 27" monitor would be like.

By the way, these things aren't cheap. Unless, of course, you're like
me. ...I'll take it over the 19" NEC, anyday, on improved text/font
sizing.

It's spec'd up for 1920x1080, and plugging it in "hot" to a running
computer, XP/SP1 picked up it's native resolution right off.

Hopefully, I'll get this **** coloring right and some decent
contrast/brightness ratios with better software calibration aides.

They're all 5-star AOC ratings, btw, in this particular "series" of
manufacture;- should imagine this model is notably or fundamentally
different in its circuitry. My first LED. Whoopee. (Could be LED is
brighter on the edges than LCD. . .kinda hard to tell.)

It should also occur to you, at $100, these thing's ratings are skewed
on a value orientation (think business people buying 5 at a time to
outfit operators perfunctorily in office environs. Me, I'm better:
Oh, boy - I can calibrate.)
Old October 12th 13, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 18:10:30 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:
Hopefully, I'll get this **** coloring right and some decent
contrast/brightness ratios with better software calibration aides.

Turned out a gamma problem, in part, since I don't have MS NET
FRAMEWORK installed, par for Intel VideoChipSet support. Figures.

The AOC has Gamma Sel: 1/2/3 firmware. No good. Not granular enough.

Found this works better, though not so sure about its loader. Gets
rid a washed-out icon look and returns vibrant colors. Much better.

QuickGamma & QuickGammaLoader
Copyright © 2003, 2004, 2005 Eberhard Werle