cheap external hard drive

Old September 19th 13, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default cheap external hard drive

donut wrote:
Paul wrote:

donut wrote:
donut wrote:

i am going to buy a usb to sata adapter.

i want to run a hard drive (3.5 sata) outside of the case (bare)
to transfer files

i have a spare power supply that can connect to the hard drive

the molex on the power supply will connect to the hd and the sata
data cable will connect to the usb-sata adapter.

will the hard drive power up and operate without being connected
to a motherboard?

do not put your followup after the sig mark?

i am using xananews 1.18.1.6
do i select the original post and then reply
or do i select the reply (eg your reply) and then reply

You click on my reply message, then you click "Post Reply".

When you see the "two hyphens and a space", remove those
with the editor, then put in your reply. Then hit send.

I looked at xananews, and could not see an option to stop
it from emitting an empty sig (two hyphens and a space).
You would think if the signature file option was blank,
the tool would not insert a blank sig. Such a signature
serves no purpose. Neither does allowing you to type
after the blank sig make sense.

I must be missing something, as an egregeous bug this
far along, must have been noted and commented upon already.
So it must be some kind of design intent.

I'd hoped there would be a registry setting (not visible
in the program GUI), but didn't see anything.

Paul

test reply
after clicking on post reply
below the cursor there were 2 hyphens
deleted them
thanks for your help

Looking good. You've got the right idea.

Paul

Old September 20th 13, 01:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 05:31:15 +0000 (UTC), "donut"
wrote:

i am going to buy a usb to sata adapter.

i want to run a hard drive (3.5 sata) outside of the case (bare) to
transfer files

i have a spare power supply that can connect to the hard drive

the molex on the power supply will connect to the hd and the sata data
cable will connect to the usb-sata adapter.

will the hard drive power up and operate without being connected to
a motherboard?

No, because the power supply won't power up.

Short the appropriate two pins (Google, I don't recall them) on the
main power connector and this *MIGHT* work although it's possible the
power supply will go out of spec and shut down because it's got such a
light load on it.

I have run drives simply sitting on the desktop with an appropriate
connector plugged in but that used a supply built for the purpose, not
an ordinary PC power supply.
Old September 20th 13, 02:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

wrote:

[...]

I've run several different supplies and all worked just fine after
jumpering the appropriate pins (all powering just a single SATA disk
drive). Only I'd have to also google to find out which pins I used :-)
Old September 20th 13, 01:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Loren Pechtel wrote:

Short the appropriate two pins (Google, I don't recall them) on the
main power connector and this *MIGHT* work although it's possible the
power supply will go out of spec and shut down because it's got such a
light load on it.

Same info (but with the detail of shorting the green PS-ON wire) that I
gave 3 days ago. Although not indicated, the OP might already know this
trick but he may have spare mobo ports and PSU connectors (or use a Y
power adapter to add one) and not even need an external PSU or an
external USB/SATA converter. The OP's post indicates he has a desktop,
not a laptop, netbook, or otherwise non-servicable hardware.

I have run drives simply sitting on the desktop with an appropriate
connector plugged in but that used a supply built for the purpose, not
an ordinary PC power supply.

An ordinary PSU will work. It should come up with the load of a single
hard disk drive -- the type with spinning platters, not flash memory
based; however, 2.5" hard disks specifically designed for use in laptops
may not draw as much power -- but the OP's starter post states "outside
the case" so he has a desktop and not a laptop. I've never seen a
laptop user refer to outside the case since all devices are normally
outside the case with a laptop.

The OP indicates he has a desktop ("outside the case"). He said he has
a 3.5" hard disk. That will provide ample load on the external PSU. A
special-purpose lab-quality PSU is not required. Even the external PSU
the OP contemplates on using isn't needed as he could use the PSU inside
the case.
Old October 8th 13, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
donut

donut wrote:

i am going to buy a usb to sata adapter.

i want to run a hard drive (3.5 sata) outside of the case (bare) to
transfer files

i have a spare power supply that can connect to the hard drive

the molex on the power supply will connect to the hd and the sata data
cable will connect to the usb-sata adapter.

will the hard drive power up and operate without being connected to
a motherboard?

installed the adapter
jumpered the psu
and it works