motherboard replacement

Old January 12th 07, 09:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Pacc

Default motherboard replacement

My motherboad is shot,the machine is only 2 weeks old,I was on the phone
with a tech for an hour,tried all kinds of things,remove memory,unplug hard
drive ,etc.,he came to the conclusion that it's the motherboard.It is a
dimension E521,there sending a tech to my house to replace it.does Dell give
me new motherboard or a refurbished one.

Old January 12th 07, 09:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Hank Arnold

You'll get one that is guaranteed to work and will be covered by the
warrantee. Considering what it costs to make a motherboard vs. what is
would cost to repair/test a broken one, I doubt seriously that you will
get other than a new one....

Bottom line is that it really doesn't matter.... The mb will work and is
covered....

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old January 12th 07, 09:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Pacc

actually it was my stupid fault,I tried to upgrade the bios from the Dell
site and it didn't take.

Old January 12th 07, 02:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

That actually doesn't destroy the motherboard; although it may create a
situation that you can't resolve, at the factory or a service depot they
will be able to restore your motherboard, which may well then become a
service replacement for someone else.

How did you damage it doing a flash upgrade? In years of service work,
upgrading hundreds if not thousands of boards, I've never had a flash
failure as long as the correct bios was used and the flash upgrade was
NOT done under Windows (either use DOS, or on recent boards, use the
built-in flash upgrade in bios setup .... but NEVER a Windows flash
upgrade program).

Old January 12th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

YES! YES! YES! Those damnable BIOS upgrades that run under Windows scare
the hell out of me. What are the board manufacturers thinking? That Windows
is reliable? Ha! Fortunately, there are usually DOS-based alternatives for
those of us who are belt-and-suspenders luddite BIOS upgraders. With Windows
2000 and XP these days, though, one can sometimes have difficulty building a
bootable DOS floppy needed for some BIOS upgrades. Fortunately, there is
FreeDOS... Ben Myers

Old January 12th 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

But none of the Dells run under Windows. The Setup program does, but then
it reboots to a variation of DOS to do the actual flash.

Old January 12th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fixer

No you wont, you'll get a refurbished one. The only time you ever get a new
replacement M/B is when its a new model and they need some in the system so
as to get stock back in, on top of that you can recieve any motherboard from
anywhere is the world. The reason behind this is to do with fault finding.
IE, lets just say you had a faulty memory slot and they replaced the board,
now imagine that when they replaced the board the fault is still there or
manifests its self a few hours later, the chances of you recieving a
refurbed board from not only from somehwere in the USA but from anywhere
else in the world and its exactly the same fault, then the chances of it
landing in your machine would be infitessamle, so the chances are more
likely to be bad diags by the original technician, if that makes sense

Old January 12th 07, 04:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Tony Pacc wrote:
actually it was my stupid fault,I tried to upgrade the bios from the Dell
site and it didn't take.

Not that it matters now, since you're getting a new one. But does it
POST at all?