Video Card Replacement on Dimension 8200

Old November 22nd 05, 07:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Video Card Replacement on Dimension 8200

I have a Dell Dimension 8200. The original configuration was 2 Ghz
processor, 512 M RDRAM, 80 Gig HD with a 64 Meg NVidia GeForce 2 Mx w/TV out
(AGP), a CD Burner and a DVD ROM. I added a 250 Gig HD and a Video Capture
card (Adaptec VideoH PCI). I am trying to replace the video card with a 256
Meg ATI All in Wonder 2006 Edition. I have followed the instructions
included with the card to the letter and I can't seem to get any signal out
of this card. I have tried reseating the card and video output cable 2 or
3 times to no avail. I have also tried to remove the power supply cable
from the second HD and CD ROM and DVD Drives to see if it was a power supply

Is it possible to use this ATI card in this computer or am I out of luck?
Any help provided would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Joe

Old November 22nd 05, 12:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Joe" wrote in message
I have a Dell Dimension 8200. The original configuration was 2 Ghz
processor, 512 M RDRAM, 80 Gig HD with a 64 Meg NVidia GeForce 2 Mx w/TV
out (AGP), a CD Burner and a DVD ROM. I added a 250 Gig HD and a Video
Capture card (Adaptec VideoH PCI). I am trying to replace the video card
with a 256 Meg ATI All in Wonder 2006 Edition. I have followed the
instructions included with the card to the letter and I can't seem to get
any signal out of this card. I have tried reseating the card and video
output cable 2 or 3 times to no avail. I have also tried to remove the
power supply cable from the second HD and CD ROM and DVD Drives to see if
it was a power supply loading problem and it did the same thing (no signal
to monitor).

Is it possible to use this ATI card in this computer or am I out of luck?
Any help provided would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Joe

Are you saying that your 8200 now has no video display on the monitor itself
or on an external monitor?

If you're not getting any video signal on your PC monitor, then I'd guess
the card is incompatible. Your system has a 250w rated PS and that card
likely wants 350w to 400w for starters.(?)

Or..........the card could simply be bad unless you have another system to
find that it works.

Stew

Old November 22nd 05, 08:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

assuming that this is an agp type card and that you removed your original
card and installed this new one in its place... as you have done, i would
also first make sure it was seated properly (but you would get a beep code
if it was not). next, look to see if there are any error code on the abcd
led on the back of the system (all green means good). could this be a
windows issue... does the dell logo appear when you first power on the
system only to have it go black when windows is starting? if so then this
is a windows issue that you have to sort out in safe mode... if you don't
even see the dell logo then i would suspect an incompatibility with pci
capture card that you have. try pulling it and see if you get video. the
all in wonder has its own video capture feature and software... i highly
doubt that this is an electrical power issue. if it isn't a conflict with
the adaptec video capture card then it is probably just a defective card.
keep us posted.

oh, one last thing... and perhaps the first thing to try... if you have a
dual head (two monitor) cable try connecting your display to the other
connector.

Old November 23rd 05, 04:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks for your reply. I gave it one more try. I removed the Adaptec
Capture Card and it still didn't work. I had also previously tried the VGA
2 cable on the new card to no avail. I guess it is probably in need of more
power. Do you know where to get a power supply that will fit into the 8200
chassis without having to modify anything? Once again, thanks for the
reply.
Joe

Old November 23rd 05, 05:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I doubt it is a power issue. I'm running a D8200 with a LOT more items
than you are running with no problem.
1.7 P4, 768 ram, 3 -80 gig drives inside, 1 more in an external box
(still getting power and control from a controller board inside though).
USB outboard drives/card readers and a scanner powered off the board.
Internal modem, original SB soundcard, add on USB 2 card, two extra
fans, USB mouse and keyboard. original DVD drive, new DVD+-RW drive. I
just stuck a Radeon 9500 in it and it is running just fine.

Keep in mind that Dell derates the power supplies in their machines
quite a bit. When Dell says 250 watts everyone else would say they are
350 watts or more. I would grab another card and try it before anything
else. I'd bet you got a bad one.

Old November 23rd 05, 12:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

i agree. dell's powersupply are very conservatively rated. one rated
higher will in all likelihood be inferior to the original. also, i can't
recall where i saw it but there was a review of the all-in-wonder installed
in an dimension 8200.

you didn't say if you get any image during post (dell logo) or not, you
didn't say what the abcd code is on the back of the machine. also, do you
know what bios revision you have? bios revision a09 is the latest. in
version a08 (and above) there was resolution to an issue referred to as "Put
in POST fix for ATI cards with memory controller latch power-up problem."
which sounds like your problem... you are hanging on post right?

visit support.dell.com to download a bios update for your system.

keep us posted.

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old November 23rd 05, 03:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

also, I seem to remember that there are different voltage AGP cards (someone
out there probably remembers the details).

'perhaps' the AGP slot in your Dimension 8200 is not compatable with the
card you're trying?

I also have a Dimension 8200 that's running 2 DVD drives, 2 internal HD, one
of which runs off an add-in SATA controller, an Audigy 2 sound card, 1gig
ram, 2.53Ghz, external USB 400gig drive, etc,
for the life of me I can't remember which of my video cards is installed in
it now, but I think it's a 5900ultra, and it runs 24/7/365 with the stock PS
with no problems.

Old November 23rd 05, 07:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

that is a very good point. and below is a link to a great explaination of
the issues. however, if it fits in the machine they usually work. there
are keys, or notches, that generally prevent insertion into incompatible
motherboards... bu of course there are all sorts of aceptions...

but i also found this on ati's site... and it seems to be the same issue
that the op is having. note that it says it the issue may occur with 'other
dell system modelss.' and it asks if the latest bios revision is installed
as i suggested previously.

about agp voltage:
http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/...atibility.html

ati article:
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...uestionID=1018

Old November 23rd 05, 10:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Excellent explanation of AGP voltages. Even more to it than I had surmised.

.... Ben Myers