Epson Stylus Photo 780: Trash It Or Can It Be Saved?

Old July 3rd 03, 09:20 PM
Uncle_Alias

Default Epson Stylus Photo 780: Trash It Or Can It Be Saved?

Should I throw this thing in the trash or repair it and use it as a
utility black and white printer on my second computer? That is what I
am asking myself. The black nozzles became entirely clogged (after
sitting for a few weeks) and I used up a color cartridge trying to
clean it. Went down to Fry's Electronics and looked at cartridges. I
decided I did not want to invest any more money in this printer and
possibly waste or use up another cartridge trying to clean it (and now
I discover I'm not the only one with an Epson with a history of
clogging). Does anyone know where I can find instructions on taking
apart this unit (I'm an ex computer technician) so that I can clean
the heads manually? Is there a better way to clean them?

I am thinking of getting a Canon i950 to replace the Epson. The
quality of the output looked good, they use 6 separate ink tanks, they
are quiet (Epson was noisy), attractively designed (Epson was ugly),
and hopefully they don't clog so much!

Thanks,
E. P.
Old July 3rd 03, 09:38 PM
Jim Waggener

"Uncle_Alias" wrote in message
om...
Should I throw this thing in the trash or repair it and use it as a
utility black and white printer on my second computer? That is what I
am asking myself. The black nozzles became entirely clogged (after
sitting for a few weeks) and I used up a color cartridge trying to
clean it. Went down to Fry's Electronics and looked at cartridges. I
decided I did not want to invest any more money in this printer and
possibly waste or use up another cartridge trying to clean it (and now
I discover I'm not the only one with an Epson with a history of
clogging). Does anyone know where I can find instructions on taking
apart this unit (I'm an ex computer technician) so that I can clean
the heads manually? Is there a better way to clean them?

Do a google search on cleaning clogged nozzles. There are some very good
tips.
Try them before trashing it.

Old July 3rd 03, 10:00 PM
Brian Colwell

[...]

I have owned several Epson's over the last number of years and I have never
had clogged nozzles, including my current model 870.
The worst thing for a printer is prolonged periods of inactivity.

BMC

Old July 4th 03, 04:58 AM
Todd Walker

In article ,
says...
[...]

Check my page here for a few cleaning tips:

http://twalker.d2g.com/epsonclean/

This worked a few times on my 780. I finally got tired of the hassle
every time I wanted to print something so I bought a Canon S820 and I've
never looked back. I can go for weeks without printing on the Canon and
it fires right up and prints beautiful pictures. Never a clog, not once.

Get the i950 -- you won't be sorry.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

*** HOW TO TAKE FIREWORKS PHOTOS ***
http://www.nyip.com/tips/digfirewks0603.php
_________________________________
Old July 4th 03, 04:28 PM
Uncle_Alias

Very good. I'll try this method (and it beats having to take it
apart!).

(Putting the digital camera to good use on your Epson Windex Solution
Instruciton Page (EWSIP for short) page I see. Nice job.)

Thank you all for your replies. I'll try and let you know how it goes.

E. P.

Todd Walker wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

[...]