2nd Latitude D505 w Defective Keyboard

Old February 24th 04, 06:57 AM
Sonja

Default 2nd Latitude D505 w Defective Keyboard

I received a Latitude D505 over a week ago with a defective keyboard.
Many of the letters on the left hand side of the keyboard make a
"clanking" sound -- not at all like the keys on the right side of the
keyboard which are smooth and what I would expect from Dell since my
Inspiron 4100 has a great keyboard.

Customer Service agreed to exchange the computer without much hassle.

Well, I got the replacement today, and it has the same problem except
it is much worse! They must not have anyone do quality control on the
keyboards, because anyone would notice the problem immediately.

So, I have two options:

1) Accept the problem and keep the first computer sent to me, and for
the next several years be distracted by the problem.

or

2) Ask for another replacement, and see if there is a way someone can
test the keyboard prior to sending the replacement.

I like the laptop, if it weren't for the keyboard problem. The 15"
display is beautiful. Bluetooth works great. Wireless works great.
The computer frame is sturdy. Other than the keyboard, it's what I
expect of Dell.

If anyone in the Small Business division is reading this, please
e-mail me. I'd like to have this taken care of, because it is getting
to be a real hassle.

Sonja
Old February 24th 04, 07:14 PM
Sonja

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:57:59 -0600, Sonja
wrote:

I received a Latitude D505 over a week ago with a defective keyboard.

clipped
Customer Service agreed to exchange the computer without much hassle.

Well, I got the replacement today, and it has the same problem except
it is much worse!

clipped
Sonja

I called Dell Customer Service. The rep was pretty nice. I said that
I wanted a replacement for the replacement, and that I wanted someone
at Dell to just type on the keyboard before sending it to me, because
the keyboard problem with the replacement would be immediately obvious
to anyone.

She said she couldn't help, so she transferred me to Technical
Service. Technical Service proposed that they send a service rep to
my apartment with a keyboard who would fix the keyboard problem. The
technical service person was also pretty nice, and didn't have an
Indian accent, so I am assuming I got someone in the US.

So, we'll see what happens. I could live with the "clanky" keyboard,
but I know over the next 3 years or so until I buy a new laptop that
it would be an annoyance. Since this is a new computer, I have a
right to a good keyboard.

Sonja
Old February 25th 04, 03:28 AM
Sonja

If anyone in the Small Business division is reading this, please
e-mail me. I'd like to have this taken care of, because it is getting
to be a real hassle.

Sonja

The more I use this defective keyboard the more irritating it is. I
know it's only been a day but the repair technician hasn't called yet.
Yes, I'm impatient :-)

As I type away, all the keys on the left side of the keyboard "clank"
for lack of a better term, loudly. It's really annoying.

I'll keep this thread posted -- I hope to report a happy ending. If
the keyboard doesn't get fixed soon, I will have to take my business
elsewhere. I've been a Dell customer through at least 10 computers
and have always recommended them.

Sonja
Old February 25th 04, 04:13 AM
Sonja

I just sent a letter to a large state agency that authorized the
purchase of this laptop letting them know that I am going to keep them
appraised of the situation.

I don't know that I will be able to recommend Dell's in the future. I
am going to do some web browsing to check out the other company
offerings -- if anyone knows of a competitive mode to consider please
*email* it to me.

All I want is a new computer with a working keyboard, and if Dell
can't provide that then I'll go someplace else, and recommend that the
state do that also.

Sonja
Old February 26th 04, 06:49 PM
goop

sonja.

the d505 is working as designed. there's basically an open space under the
keyboard on the left side. I had one customer put a piece of insulated tape
there to absorb the shock. he said he'd get back to me, but he never did,
so I assume it fixed the problem. you're probably not going to get any
satisfaction with your replacement keyboard.

Old February 27th 04, 05:15 AM
Sonja

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:49:16 GMT, "goop" wrote:

sonja.

the d505 is working as designed. there's basically an open space under the
keyboard on the left side. I had one customer put a piece of insulated tape
there to absorb the shock. he said he'd get back to me, but he never did,
so I assume it fixed the problem. you're probably not going to get any
satisfaction with your replacement keyboard.

Thank you for your response. A Dell contractor came and replaced the
keyboard today, and it works much better.

I was thinking along the same lines as your post, except that the
replacement laptop that they had sent was much worse than the
original.

So, I thought if that's the case, then there is variation. Yes, there
is -- in the keyboards (but as you say, I watched as the new keyboard
was installed and the keyboard basically lays on top of components
underneath and they are different on the left and right sides.

Anyway, now both sides of the keyboard work great -- well, as great as
a lousy keyboard works!!! The clanky key problem went away, except
for the 1 & 2 keys and a stubborn left control key :-) I can live
wiith that rather than the hassle of sending it back and getting a
quality laptop like an IBM.

So, strike 1, strike 2, and no strike 3. They got it right the 3rd
time. I love the battery life, love that the Latitude didn't come
with all the consumer crap installed on it, and love the battery life
with the extra modular battery.

This should last me another 3 years, at which time I will consider
something other than a Dell, unless Dell improves its quality and
support.

Sonja

P.S. -- I did recommend to the state agency not to consider Dells and
they thanked me for my input.