Do Not buy from Dell in Nov and Dec

Old December 23rd 03, 07:07 PM
NoMoreDellForMe

Default Do Not buy from Dell in Nov and Dec

....maybe even in Jan. Dell has the worst customer service of any companies I
ever dealt with.

I bought two PCs from Dell in the past few years, and I was happy with those
(even though in both cases I had some technical problems, modem once, and PC
fan the other time). Note that I did not buy during the holiday seasons.

For a billion dollar company, they could employ more customer
representatives during the holiday season.

My next PC will definitely not be a Dell. After all, if I look back, I did
have technical problems during both of my last two PC purchases.

Old December 23rd 03, 07:32 PM
Tom Scales

Now golly, this couldn't be a troll, could it?

Best laugh I've had all day.

Old December 23rd 03, 09:00 PM
S.Lewis

"NoMoreDellForMe" wrote in message
...maybe even in Jan. Dell has the worst customer service of any companies

ever dealt with.

I bought two PCs from Dell in the past few years, and I was happy with

those
(even though in both cases I had some technical problems, modem once, and

PC
fan the other time). Note that I did not buy during the holiday seasons.

For a billion dollar company, they could employ more customer
representatives during the holiday season.

My next PC will definitely not be a Dell. After all, if I look back, I did
have technical problems during both of my last two PC purchases.

You're a little late, chief. Most everyone in this group is already a Dell
owner.

Old December 23rd 03, 09:15 PM
Alan S. Wales

NoMoreDellForMe"

...maybe even in Jan. Dell has the worst customer service of any companies I
ever dealt with.

I suppose you mean "don't buy Dell's built in Nov. or Dec.". Don't know about
that; mine was bought last October and has been nothing but bliss.

I do know that you shouldn't buy power nailers built in October:

http://viral.lycos.co.uk/attachments/1080/Leroid.mpeg

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the Pros get more POWER!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

Old December 23rd 03, 11:39 PM
Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Now golly, this couldn't be a troll, could it?

Tom, man... I wouldn't go dell either, because of their bad customer service
when I was trying to get my jukebox.
does that make me a troll?

Old December 24th 03, 12:43 AM
Tom Scales

You at least had a personal negative experience. This was just a 'don't buy
a Dell message'. Even the Dell bashers can't take that post too seriously.

Tom

Old December 24th 03, 01:52 AM
Keith S.

From CNET:

Open letter to Michael Dell

12/23/03 | 04:00 AM PST

John Dickinson

Industry veteran John Dickinson has a bone to pick with Dell's CEO: Your
customer service just ain't what it used to be.

Dear Michael,

Just before Thanksgiving, you announced that Dell is pulling back its
commitment to overseas customer service. That's a good thing, because my
recent experience with your once-vaunted customer service demonstrated that
it has deteriorated remarkably.

Part of that deterioration must surely be the result of your company's
remarkable growth, but no small part of it is due to the overseas talent
that you have enlisted for this crucial function.

I think that customer service is crucial, and I take it personally that
yours has deteriorated so much, because for years, I have recommended Dell
computers to friends and family, and in computer magazines and computer Web
sites, in large measure because of your personal commitment to high-quality,
highly responsive customer service. I'm sorry to know that that commitment
seems to have waned so much.

Not to bore you, Michael, but my saga began when, for probably the first
time in my life, I needed customer service from Dell. I had ordered an
incorrect memory upgrade component for my Dimension 8200 computer--which was
no one's fault but mine--and I needed to exchange it for the right part,
which would require some help from your customer service group.

Sounds simple, right? And it should have been, but making that exchange took
about seven hours of telephone time--and an enormous dose of the sort of
patience I'm not well known for--with your customer service people.

Just getting to the point of understanding what the issue was took several
phone calls. The first part of the problem was a registration system
breakdown. It turned out that your database had no record of my computer's
existence, and your people would not help me with my memory problem until
that was corrected.

Just getting to the point of understanding what the issue was took several
phone calls, which revealed a second problem. Your menu system, which is
largely incomprehensible to begin with, is inconsistent. Dial the same
number twice and you will get two different menu systems. I counted at least
four different menu systems altogether. Try it. You'll be amused, I'm sure.

A third problem is that there is something called a service tag and
something else called a service code, both of which are associated with each
Dell computer. Neither was registered for my computer, and in any case, it
was never clear which one mattered, because the answer to that question
varied, depending on who I was talking with. And that led to the fourth
problem, which was that no matter what department I got connected to or was
transferred to, none of your people seemed able to help me figure out what
to do to get my computer properly registered.

That situation was not helped by the fifth problem, which was that many of
your people did not speak English very well. Many of your people did not
speak English very well. Many were offshore at one of your call centers in
India, and while English is taught in schools there, it is not anyone's
first language. I should mention that I also talked with Dell customer
service people in Mississippi, Florida, Mexico, and yes, even in your native
land of Texas. Some of these people don't speak the brand of English I was
raised with, either.

When I finally was able to get my registration problem straightened out (my
log says this much of the saga took about five hours on the phone), I now
had to get the parts problem straightened out, which brought on a simple
human interaction problem--lack of courtesy on the part of your customer
service people. A man in India hung up the phone in frustration, because he
couldn't get his database to access the information necessary to issue a
return merchandise authorization number for my incorrect part. A second man,
again in India, was exceedingly impolite, and so I hung up on him. The young
lady that finally did get me the return merchandise authorization was very
nice, even as she turned down my request for an e-mail confirmation.

And so I was finally, after seven hours on the phone over the course of two
days, able to return the old memory and order the correct part. Maybe I
should just have bought the memory from Kensington--or shopped for it on
eBay--in the first place. Then I would never have had to care that your
system never registered my computer--and never found out that your customer
service level had deteriorated to such a shameful level.

Michael, I can only hope that your change in policy about international
outsourcing for customer service is the leading edge of restoring that
service quality to the industry standard it once was. I really do care,
because I'd hate to have to change what I tell people when they want to buy
a new computer.

Sincerely,

John D.

Back to All News