How to share ATI AIW settings with multiple users?

Old September 8th 03, 02:26 PM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:51:18 -0700
"wdsnews" wrote:

Yes, you can.

Then we agree. It's possible to turn on PC and let it sit.

Nope. Nobody is logged on and _no_ profile is in effect.

J., you're wrong. A screen saver is in effect and that info comes
from a profile... the "Default" profile. In fact, all the local user
policies are in effect, and all of them come from the Default profile.

You're using "profile" differently from the rest of us.

Now, have you actually tried to start a program with no user logged in
by using the default profile? If so, what program and how do you know
that it ran?

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 07:04:15 -0700
"wdsnews" wrote:

Just "letting it sit" I am assuming you are referring to an
auto-logon process as discussed many many times on this
thread. This is still logging on with some user name...

No. You're wrong. You can turn on a PC and let it sit.

Yes, you can.

The logon
dialogue will continue to stay on the screen until you logon, or
the screen saver or the stand-by mode takes effect. If you choose
not to logon, then nobody is logged on and the default profile is
in effect.

Nope. Nobody is logged on and _no_ profile is in effect.

Frankly, it does nobody any good for you to make accusations,
assumptions, and bad suggestions while ignoring the original
issue. You've been wrong from your very first message, and you're
still wrong. You're attitude is insulting and completely
unacceptable.

If you were even a little bit correct in your assumptions or your
replies then your arrogance could be understood. But you're so
amazingly off-base, that you make a fool of yourself.

I think you should do some reading up on Windows NT-Based
operating systems. You obviously do not comprehend what I am
trying to tell you, which is doing neither of us any good at this
point in time. In other words, quit wasting my time.

Lemme guess--you got an MCSE by taking a cram course?

"Tim" wrote in message
I appreciate your help, but please consider the possibility of
"logging
off"
without "shutting down". Or consider simply turning on the PC
and
letting
it sit without "loggin in". In such a situation, a profile is
still in effect. A screen saver still runs. Schedules are
still executed. The
main
difference is that the default profile is used instead of an
assigned profile.

Agreed, but YOU cannot run software in this state. Only
scheduled tasks
done
with the Windows Scheduling service (AT) can be run in this
mode. You
have no
access to Windows Explorer or the Start Menu for anyone.

The only time someone is "required" to logon is if you want to
use the computer for more than it will do by itself. For
example, if I wanted
access the shared disk or printer of this computer from
another
computer,
nobody would have to logon at the keyboard of this computer.
In another example, if I wanted to change a schedule, I would
have to logon. But
if I
simply wanted to record a show I had previously scheduled, I
could
simply
turn it on and let it sit... assuming it were possible to
share the user settings with the default profile.

Just "letting it sit" I am assuming you are referring to an
auto-logon
process
as discussed many many times on this thread. This is still
logging on
with some
user name...

I think you should do some reading up on Windows NT-Based
operating
systems. You
obviously do not comprehend what I am trying to tell you, which
is doing
neither
of us any good at this point in time.

BTW, one of the registry keys to search for includes "ATI
MMC". I've successfully set the admin's profile to put "ATI
MMC" in a common
folder.
The time-shift file seems to be using the new folder. So now
I'm
wondering
if there is an official document that tells us how to share
the MMC
settings
with other profiles. Unfortunately, each new experiment seems
wipe-out
my previous settings.

I appreciate your suggestion for exporting and importing
HKEY_USERS settings, but I don't want to share all profile
info. I just want to
share
settings specific to the MMC 8.5.

Then why not find the keys where the settings are stored and
duplicate
them
only? Sorry, I can't exactly hold your hand while you do this
one....

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old September 8th 03, 03:04 PM
wdsnews

Just "letting it sit" I am assuming you are referring to an
auto-logon process as discussed many many times on this
thread. This is still logging on with some user name...

No. You're wrong. You can turn on a PC and let it sit. The logon dialogue

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

with other profiles. Unfortunately, each new experiment seems to

Old September 8th 03, 03:20 PM
wdsnews

Agreed, but YOU cannot run software in this state. Only scheduled tasks
done
with the Windows Scheduling service (AT) can be run in this mode. You

have no
access to Windows Explorer or the Start Menu for anyone.

You're wrong about that too. Any program set to auto-start in the default
profile will run when nobody is logged on. Your anti-virus program and any
program you want runs that way.

Read some of these:
http://www.google.com/search?q=copy+...8&start=0&sa=N

You know, if you were simply wrong I could accept it. If you simply ignored
my original question, I could accept it. If you were simply arrogant, I
could ignore it. But you're all those things and...

....you belittle me, attack my character, and chastise me.

Frankly, arrogance and ignorance is a dangerous combination. It causes
people to send messages like yours.

Old September 8th 03, 03:34 PM
wdsnews

I think you should do some reading up on Windows NT-Based operating
systems. You
obviously do not comprehend what I am trying to tell you, which is doing

neither
of us any good at this point in time.

Did you catch that? I used those words or yours against you. Isn't that
funny how your words apply more to your ignorance of default profiles than
they do to me? It's called hypocrisy.

Get it? You're not only arrogant and ignorant, but you're a hypocrite too!
Isn't that funny?

Old September 8th 03, 05:17 PM
JAD

Take it to the alley the thread has reached an all time low

Old September 8th 03, 05:51 PM
wdsnews

Yes, you can.

Then we agree. It's possible to turn on PC and let it sit.

Nope. Nobody is logged on and _no_ profile is in effect.

J., you're wrong. A screen saver is in effect and that info comes from a
profile... the "Default" profile. In fact, all the local user policies are
in effect, and all of them come from the Default profile.

Old September 8th 03, 07:02 PM
wdsnews

You're so funny. It's not up to me to prove a negative. Since Tim made all
the assertions, the proof is up to him. You could click any one of the
links from my Google search and learn about copying ntuser.dat to the
default profile. But since you and Tim don't know anything about that, it's
quite funny that you're calling me ignorant.

The truth is Tim is wrong from his first message. You are not "required" to
logon.

Most off all, he's the one who is ignorant to start name-calling over such a
silly issue.

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 07:20:26 -0700
"wdsnews" wrote:

Agreed, but YOU cannot run software in this state. Only scheduled
tasks

done
with the Windows Scheduling service (AT) can be run in this mode.
You

have no
access to Windows Explorer or the Start Menu for anyone.

You're wrong about that too. Any program set to auto-start in the
default profile will run when nobody is logged on. Your anti-virus
program and any program you want runs that way.

Nope. This is one of the most common questions asked about
NT/2K/XP--"how do I run a program with no user logged on", and the
answer is that you either run it through the scheduler or use the "run
as service" utility included with the Resource Kit.

The default profile is the one that is used to set up new users--when a
new user is created he will have a copy of the default profile until his
profile is altered. The default profile is not active when there is no
user logged on.

Read some of these:

http://www.google.com/search?q=copy+...8&start=0&sa=N

Yea, a lot about user profiles but I don't see anything there that
supports your argument. If there's a particular page you have in mind
perhaps you could provide a link?

You know, if you were simply wrong I could accept it. If you simply
ignored my original question, I could accept it. If you were simply
arrogant, I could ignore it. But you're all those things and...

...you belittle me, attack my character, and chastise me.

Frankly, arrogance and ignorance is a dangerous combination. It
causes people to send messages like yours.

You are correct that arrogance and ignorance is a dangerous combination.
So is pot kettle black.

Old September 8th 03, 07:18 PM
wdsnews

Oh JAD, you're so funny. Your perspective on the "all time low" makes me
laugh.

Let me remind you about my first four messages that I continued to send even
after Tim began making his accusations and insults.

I said:
Thanks for your advice.
--
Thanks for your attention.
--

But after Tim continued with his insults, all the while ignoring my original
question, it became clear what kind of an arrogant, ignorant, hypocrite I

It seems people like him defend each other.

ink.net...

Old September 8th 03, 07:23 PM
wdsnews

Thank you. That is a good question. I appreciate productive conversations.

If so, what program and how do you know
that it ran?

You'll see I gave very clear instructions in another part of this thread.
But to answer your question here, you can tell the virus scanner is running
by its log entries. You can power up & shut down without ever having logged
on.

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:51:18 -0700
"wdsnews" wrote:

Yes, you can.

Then we agree. It's possible to turn on PC and let it sit.

Nope. Nobody is logged on and _no_ profile is in effect.

J., you're wrong. A screen saver is in effect and that info comes
from a profile... the "Default" profile. In fact, all the local user
policies are in effect, and all of them come from the Default profile.

You're using "profile" differently from the rest of us.

Now, have you actually tried to start a program with no user logged in
by using the default profile? If so, what program and how do you know
that it ran?

Old September 8th 03, 08:30 PM
Andre C

Personally this is potentially a very interesting thread as a valuable
question is being asked. Okay so there is some disagreement about
default profiles and running programms outside the login process, but
it does not need a flaming war.

My question is that you refer to ntuser.dat for XP. I cannot find
such a file on my xp set-up. Where is it?

ACC