sudden drastic change in connection speeds

Old August 28th 05, 04:57 AM
Ronald Smyth

Default sudden drastic change in connection speeds

I have been using my PC for several years getting pretty consistent speeds
(ranging from 49-53k) .
Suddenly this week I am connecting at 28k.
What could be the problem?
I have a Windows XP Home edition with a Conexant HSF V.92 modem. Dell
Dimension 4400.

Old August 28th 05, 05:05 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Ronald Smyth" wrote:
I have been using my PC for several years getting pretty consistent speeds
(ranging from 49-53k) .
Suddenly this week I am connecting at 28k.
What could be the problem?
I have a Windows XP Home edition with a Conexant HSF V.92 modem. Dell
Dimension 4400.

Check with your neighbor to see if he/she has also seen a drop
in connect speed. I have seen this happen when some change
occurs at the central office which affects an entire neighborhood.
But DON'T complain to the telephone company about a drop in
your digital connect speed. They feel only responsible for your
voice communications, not your digital communications. Instead,
complain about noise heard on the line and have them do a check
on it.

*TimDaniels*
Old August 28th 05, 05:12 AM
Christopher Muto

yep, the telco probably 'upgraded' the lines in the area to multiplex
technology that digitally chops up a single line into multiple lines and
reduces throughput of modems... they are only regulated to provide voice
quality service. perhaps it is time to get a cable modem and voice over ip
(voip) telephone service like vonage.
here's a nice summary of the many issues surrounding telco line quality
http://www.hiwaay.net/support/faq/in...d=105&catid=63

Old August 28th 05, 05:14 AM
Christopher Muto

one thing you could try to test that it is not something in your house that
is causing the problem... remove all the phones in your house and try
dialing out again... if you see an improvement then add back the phones one
at a time testing along the way until you find the culprit... sometimes
defective answering machines or cordless phones generate noise into your
phone line and that can create problems.