Buying a new desktop home PC

Old June 6th 04, 11:19 AM
Gary D.

Default Buying a new desktop home PC

Okay, first things first - if this is an inappropriate group then my
apologies.
But if you can offer any helpful advice?

My home PC is five years old and although working fine it is now
showing its age.
It is only a 350Mhz Pentium II, with 64Mb RAM and a 4GB hard disk -
don't laugh - and I've replaced quite a few internal components
(modems, CD, NIC, Floppy, unit fan). I'm pretty sure the hard disk is
on its way out due its noise increasing.

I am thinking about buying a new PC for home use with a more
up-to-date specification. However, I am out of the loop as far as new
developments or specifications, so I could do with some help getting
an idea of what's available nowadays!
I already have a scanner and printer, so I'm only looking for the PC
/Monitor/etc. bundle.
I use my PC quite a lot, mainly for running small-medium databases.

My minimum requirements are (unless you know better):-
- Mini-tower base unit.
- Slim 17" TFT monitor.
- High processor speed - say min. 1 Gb, if that's reasonable.
- Reasonably high memory - e.g. 256Mb/512Mb or whatever's standard.
- 4Gb hard disk (min., if they still make them that small?).
- 3.5" floppy drive.
- Spare expansion slots x 4 (min).
- A reasonably decent soundcard.
- Ethernet NIC.
- 56K dial-up modem.
- USB or USB2.0 - with at least 2 slots.
- CD-ROM or CDW (I'm not bothered about DVD).
- Keyboard.
- Mouse, with wheel.
- Stereo speakers, basic.
- Quiet! i.e. quiet cooling & CPU fans. -- this is VERY important!
- Low power consumption.

As far as the monitor goes, I wear specs and want a good quality TFT,
either 17" or 19". It should be wall-mountable, without built-in
speakers (I prefer to have them separate). The monitor should be
digital via a digital interface to the PC, to help minimise eye-strain
(so I have been told). My current CRT is set at 1024x768 with Font
Size at 122% (118dpi), which I find the best combination of usefulness
and comfort, so this is a minimum guideline.

I don't know what, if any, significant difference there is between
Pentium and AMD, although I have heard that AMD can be more suitable
for power-users?

Bear in mind I'm a home user and not a businessman with loads of dosh.
I had an idea that I might be able to fulfil the above requirements
for around £1000. I've seen bundles for around that figure, sometimes
less, but I don't necessarily want to go for the cheapest. I'd rather
pay for good reliable hardware. Up to £1500?
I was considering HP or Compaq? Definitely not DELL or IBM!

Sorry for the lengthy posting and I've still probably forgotten
something.

.. . .
Spam-avoidance: use and remove % and $
signs.
.. . .

---

You're never alone with - schizophrenia!
Old June 6th 04, 12:51 PM
philo

"Gary D." wrote in message
[...]

Nowdays it's not too likely you could buy a new machine that's
less than 1ghz and a 40 meg drive...but at any rate...for the money you are
willing to spend you should be able to afford just about any decent
machine...

all you really need do is get a new harddrive for your present machine
and add more ram...i doubt if you even need a new machine

Old June 6th 04, 05:39 PM
Cain Shugher

Check out http://www.abscomputers.com They are excellent computers, and
have computer packages to fit just about any need--big business, power
gamers and even the occasional home user and they are priced accordingly.
The basic computers come with a better power supply and basic components
than the off-the-shelf brands like HP and Compaq. A system from them should
meet your needs for years to come.
"Gary D." wrote in message
[...]

. . .

Old June 6th 04, 08:22 PM
Alex

If you don't want to build your own, go with Dell. Good quality, good
customer service, and the machines are very quiet.

Old June 6th 04, 11:15 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Alex wrote:
If you don't want to build your own, go with Dell. Good quality, good
customer service, and the machines are very quiet.

Something that no-one's pointed out to you. You want to keep your current
printer and scanner, but you have to be prepared to replace them. If they
are as old as your current system, you might have problems getting them to
function - or at least how you had them functioning under 98. Windows XP
(which all systems are shipped with) isn't too keen on parallel port or SCSI
scanners and some printing functions (e.g. the auto-duplex of some HP units)
isn't supported in XP's native driver (which isn't the only one that
exists). You might find that it's better to replace them than struggle with
forcing them to work.

Old June 8th 04, 07:01 PM
Gary D.

When you say 19" flat screen, do you mean 19" TFT or are monitors
available in some other format/referred to differently (e.g.
plasma/LCD/etc.)?

Excuse my confusion, just wanted to clarify.
Thanks.

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 08:21:51 -0400, Trent©
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:19:02 +0100, Gary D.
wrote:

My recommendations:

My minimum requirements are (unless you know better):-
- Mini-tower base unit.

Mid-tower. Get a 450w or higher power supply...preferrably 550w...for
future expansion.

- Slim 17" TFT monitor.

LOTS of money to be spent here. Get a 19" flat screen instead.

- High processor speed - say min. 1 Gb, if that's reasonable.

Yup...1.1 min...to 2.4...for budget.

- Reasonably high memory - e.g. 256Mb/512Mb or whatever's standard.

512 min.

- 4Gb hard disk (min., if they still make them that small?).

Don't make 4 giggers anymore.

Get the 32 gig, 10,000 rpm serial hard drive. Make sure the mainboard
you get has a serial ATA controller.

- 3.5" floppy drive.

Consider getting one that has a memory card reader built in. Might
come in handy for you at a later date.

- Spare expansion slots x 4 (min).
- A reasonably decent soundcard.

Get a mainboard that has the sound, video, and network card built in.

- Ethernet NIC.
- 56K dial-up modem.
- USB or USB2.0 - with at least 2 slots.

New boards come with at least 2.0.

- CD-ROM or CDW (I'm not bothered about DVD).

CD-RW. TDK or Lite-On are good.

- Keyboard.
- Mouse, with wheel.

They make both in cordless now...in case yer interested.

- Stereo speakers, basic.
- Quiet! i.e. quiet cooling & CPU fans. -- this is VERY important!

Then make SURE you get the noise spec on the power supply before you
buy.

- Low power consumption.

You don't have much choice on this.

As far as the monitor goes, I wear specs and want a good quality TFT,
either 17" or 19". It should be wall-mountable, without built-in
speakers (I prefer to have them separate).

Have you PRICED these? lol

The monitor should be
digital via a digital interface to the PC, to help minimise eye-strain
(so I have been told). My current CRT is set at 1024x768 with Font
Size at 122% (118dpi), which I find the best combination of usefulness
and comfort, so this is a minimum guideline.

I don't know what, if any, significant difference there is between
Pentium and AMD, although I have heard that AMD can be more suitable
for power-users?

Price is a big difference. Both are good companies.

Bear in mind I'm a home user and not a businessman with loads of dosh.
I had an idea that I might be able to fulfil the above requirements
for around £1000. I've seen bundles for around that figure, sometimes
less, but I don't necessarily want to go for the cheapest. I'd rather
pay for good reliable hardware. Up to £1500?
I was considering HP or Compaq? Definitely not DELL or IBM!

I'd pick Dell over HP.

You might want to consider getting a removable tray and an extra hard
drive...for backups.

Good luck.

P.S. They no longer have Pony Express. Most computers will be
delivered by automobile or truck. Some even come out of the
sky...especially if you're surrounded by a big pond! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

---

You're never alone with - schizophrenia!
Old June 11th 04, 06:39 AM
Big Mac

Gary D. wrote:
I am thinking about buying a new PC for home use with a more
up-to-date specification. However, I am out of the loop as far as new
developments or specifications, so I could do with some help getting
an idea of what's available nowadays!
I already have a scanner and printer, so I'm only looking for the PC
/Monitor/etc. bundle.

Ok Gary. I am going to mention this even though it does not fit your
requirements. But anyone else out there might be looking too.

At "Best Buy", good until or through this Saturday 6/12, so act quick,
is a really great price.
!! $340 !!
after rebates (you pay like $600 up front).
I bought this system for my son a few months back & already got the
rebates. eMachines 1 yr warrantee 6am to 12 pm 7 days a week voice
tech help too. This is a 2.7 GHz machine we're talking!

2.7 GHz Celeron. (Celerons are not crippled like they were when you
bought your old system - math-co is aboard. For the apps you say
you'll run I don't think it being a Celeron & not a P4 will make much
of a difference).
40 gig HD.
256 MB RAM.
17 inch flat front (not flat panel as you want) .25 dot pitch.
Color jet printer.
DVD read/CD RW drive.
Windows XP
Model # T2742).

Now, for $80 more, I recommend this, they bump it up to a
80 Gig HD
512 RAM
(.1) more GHZ to 2.8 GHz processor.
I think you also get a separate DVD & CD drives with this upgrade.
(Model # T2885).

The audio & video is built in to the motherboard & probably 64 MBs
borrowed from the RAM for video.

I have an eMachines 3200 + Athalon & am very happy with it. It also
borrows from 64 MBs RAM for video. But sound & video chips are well
known nVidia.

Big Mac
Old June 11th 04, 07:53 AM
Big Mac

Just wanted to throw in here when you are talking Windows XP & today's
machines, a 40 Gig hard drive is minimal. You said 4 GB minimum..
Yes, you are out of the loop. Keep in mind that if you are on
dial-up and downloading Win XP stuff, even windows updates, they are a
lot bigger in size than win 98 stuff, & take a LONG TIME. Otoh a
cable hook-up takes seconds.

Also 256 MB RAM is a minimum to get in with. Upgrade to 512 MB when
you can. Even better to go to 1 GB RAM (or, if it takes odd sizes,
add a 512 MB to an existing 256 MB chip).

As far as the machine I just mentioned for $340 or the upgrade for
$420, it has everything else (NIC, USB2 etc - the whole bundle. Maybe
only 3 PCI expansion slots, I am not sure. But a whole lot of stuff
nowadays is USB & you won't need lots of slots, and you can add more
USB ports with a USB hub like thingy that plugs into one USB slot &
gives you more. Usually 4 USB ports in the back & one in the front
are standard. (slots are all PCI nowadays in this level of desktop),
Sound & video do not need slots in a lot of machines, & even the USB
is built into the motherboard. P4s are more likely to have separate
sound & video cards needed. But it all depends on the motherboard.
The modem uses a slot.

You should really consider "suffering" with a 17 inch .25 dot pitch
standard desktop monitor for the bundled price. And the 2.7 GHz or
2.8 GHz processor is almost 3 times the speed of your minimum
requirement (you called I GB "high processor speed - you mean 1 GHz.
& that is pretty outdated).

I cannot say how quiet it is. My eMachines Athalon I can hear the fan
sitting here writing this.

Big Mac

Old June 11th 04, 08:34 AM
Big Mac

Whoops sorry, wrong name attributed to my reply.

"Cain Shugher" wrote:
[...]

Will Windows Power the Living Room? Ablang General 31 July 8th 04 05:34 AM
can i connect a desktop hard disk to a laptop? kony General 3 December 5th 03 04:51 PM
home networking 123xxxxx General 2 November 23rd 03 05:23 PM
Opnion about buying vs building desktop system Joseph General 3 August 29th 03 02:45 AM
Workstation or desktop? Dave Smith General 0 August 24th 03 06:15 AM