PC wont turn on after adding new cpu

Old May 21st 07, 04:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dave xnet

Default PC wont turn on after adding new cpu

Hello, I've seen many variations of this problem,
but none quite the same.

I upgraded from an AMD64 3200+ (singe core) to a
AMD64 4200 x2 (dual core) .

When I shutdown windows and later on try to start the pc,
the only thing that happens is the power LED lights up.
No fan, HD or other activity.
Power supply is an Antec Truepower 430W.

I'm using no add on cards, motherboard
audio,video and nic (Biostar geforce 6100 M9)
2 HD, 2 optical drives.

But if I switch off at the power supply, wait 10 seconds,
turn on again - it will now start normally from the front
switch as if nothing had happened.

What do you infer from this behavior?
Thanks,
Dave

Old May 21st 07, 04:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Frank McCoy

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt dave xnet
wrote:

Hello, I've seen many variations of this problem,
but none quite the same.

I upgraded from an AMD64 3200+ (singe core) to a
AMD64 4200 x2 (dual core) .

When I shutdown windows and later on try to start the pc,
the only thing that happens is the power LED lights up.
No fan, HD or other activity.
Power supply is an Antec Truepower 430W.

I'm using no add on cards, motherboard
audio,video and nic (Biostar geforce 6100 M9)
2 HD, 2 optical drives.

But if I switch off at the power supply, wait 10 seconds,
turn on again - it will now start normally from the front
switch as if nothing had happened.

What do you infer from this behavior?
Thanks,
Dave

I'd try a different power-supply myself.
Having a spare known-good PSU is *always* a good idea anyway.

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢
Old May 21st 07, 06:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dave xnet

wrote:

Hello, I've seen many variations of this problem,
but none quite the same.

I upgraded from an AMD64 3200+ (singe core) to a
AMD64 4200 x2 (dual core) .

When I shutdown windows and later on try to start the pc,
the only thing that happens is the power LED lights up.
No fan, HD or other activity.
Power supply is an Antec Truepower 430W.

I'm using no add on cards, motherboard
audio,video and nic (Biostar geforce 6100 M9)
2 HD, 2 optical drives.

But if I switch off at the power supply, wait 10 seconds,
turn on again - it will now start normally from the front
switch as if nothing had happened.

What do you infer from this behavior?
Thanks,
Dave

I'd try a different power-supply myself.
Having a spare known-good PSU is *always* a good idea anyway.

Well this was a "known-good" PS until I put in this cpu about
3 weeks ago! Only 9 months old, possibly some warranty left,
(I'll have to check Antec's site)

In the meantime I have also sent an email to Antec tech support
and described the problem there - let's see what the response is.

The OEM cpu comes with a 30 day warranty of which there are about
5 days left. I may call that vendor to see if they have any idea.
I don't want to be in a situation where the PS is good and the cpu has
a problem, because the cpu 30 warranty period clock is ticking...

Thanks,
Dave H.

Old May 21st 07, 06:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
w_tom

Could be any part of the power supply system, or could be .... well
this is why numbers from a 3.5 digit multimeter are necessary to
obtain useful replies. Two minutes would answer your questions
immediately. Without those numbers, every suggestion will only be
speculation.

Two minute procedure was posted as "When your computer dies without
warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp
at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh

In your case, most important are voltages on purple, green, and gray
wires before and when power switch is pressed; and immediately after
computer powers off in a 'no yet restartable' state.

What does that behavior imply? A power supply controller problem
which is another component of a power supply 'system'. Your responses
will only be as useful as information posted. Two minutes with a tool
that is sold even in K-mart.

Old May 21st 07, 01:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Cuzman

dave xnet wrote:

" What do you infer from this behavior? "

Might seem like a PSU problem, but have you tried updating the BIOS to
the latest one?

http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bi...206100-M9&key=
Old May 21st 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Frank McCoy

wrote:

[...]

The new CPU might have put extra stress on the PSU; causing it to fail.
And yes, I've seen power-supplies fail in far less time than that.

Like I said, I'd BUY a new power-supply; then, if the old one *is* bad,
I'd return it under warranty (though most warranties are only 90 days.)

If bad and warranted, then you'd have a good spare (which I recommend
anyway). If good, then you'd have a spare.

If bad and *not* warranted, I'd still recommend buying an extra one.
There's nothing as completely annoying as having a commonly fragile yet
comparatively inexpensive part (Like a power-supply) go bad when you
need it most and can't get to a store to replace the thing.

In the meantime I have also sent an email to Antec tech support
and described the problem there - let's see what the response is.

The OEM cpu comes with a 30 day warranty of which there are about
5 days left. I may call that vendor to see if they have any idea.
I don't want to be in a situation where the PS is good and the cpu has
a problem, because the cpu 30 warranty period clock is ticking...

I doubt VERY much if it's the CPU.
The motherboard itself would be far more likely; and I don't suspect
that either. Too many other suspects.

Video-board, Disks, memory ....
So *many* things that can make a PSU shut down in the manner you
describe.

But the power-supply is by *far* the most likely suspect; especially
after having installed a CPU that puts a much bigger load on it.

MY guess is that the PSU isn't exactly BAD, per-se; just a bit
underpowered for your new CPU.

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢
Old May 21st 07, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dave xnet

On Mon, 21 May 2007 13:22:06 +0100, Cuzman wrote:

dave xnet wrote:

" What do you infer from this behavior? "

Might seem like a PSU problem, but have you tried updating the BIOS to
the latest one?

http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/bi...206100-M9&key=

Yes already have the 222 BIOS thanks anyway.

Dave
Old May 21st 07, 04:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dave xnet

On 20 May 2007 22:33:50 -0700, w_tom wrote:

[...]

I took a look at the kmart website, since I 'm not familiar with
digital volt meters. Do you meen the Craftsman Digital Multimeter
with AC Voltage Detector for $24.99.
Kmart item# 9990000031937611 Mfr. model# 31937611

I'll pick one up today and post back in here.

Old May 21st 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dave xnet

On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:21:33 -0500, Frank McCoy
wrote:

snip
[...]

This is the thing - does the new cpu put a bigger load?
According to AMD's info they both consume 89W.

Is there someother "load"

Dave
Old May 21st 07, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob M

wrote:

[...]

Is the motherboard an Asrock by any chance? I've had two of them in
the past. Anytime you make a change in BIOS settings or a major change
like you did the board requires you to switch off the PSU and then back
on again. Not sure if it's just a fluke with the boards or it's a built
in protection thing. I learned this by reading the overclockers forums
in the Asrock MB section. There may be other brands of boards that do
the same thing. I'm not sure. But if it's an Asrock it's working fine.

Bob