Dual Channel DDR Memory ?

Old March 7th 04, 11:55 PM
Courseyauto

Default Dual Channel DDR Memory ?

I have a MSI PT880 NEO (Intel P4) that is dual channel DDR memory capable as
well as 2 Geil PC3200 512 meg chips. Problem is CPUZ show single channel. I
have placed the memory in slots 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 with no change to dual
channel.
Is there any other program that can tell if its in dual channel? Maybe CPUZ
is buggy? I also don't see anything when the PC posts and there also is no
settings in the Bios. Anyone have any ideas. TIA.

Try 1 and 2.
Old March 8th 04, 09:06 AM
ElJerid

"Stoner" wrote in message
I have a MSI PT880 NEO (Intel P4) that is dual channel DDR memory capable

as
well as 2 Geil PC3200 512 meg chips. Problem is CPUZ show single channel.

have placed the memory in slots 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 with no change to dual
channel.
Is there any other program that can tell if its in dual channel? Maybe

CPUZ
is buggy? I also don't see anything when the PC posts and there also is no
settings in the Bios. Anyone have any ideas. TIA.

Stoner

Maybe a hardware problem?
This board is the first non-Intel based dual channel, and is based on the
brand new Va chipset...
I would do a Sandra benchmark in order to see how the memory performance
compares to other i865 or i865 based memory benchmarks. If you see similar
figures, you'll know your board is working in dual channel. If not, review
your bios settings (check also if both mem modules are recognized).

Old March 10th 04, 06:32 PM
Bruce Tyler

On 7 Mar 2004 23:38:00 GMT, "Stoner"
wrote:

I have a MSI PT880 NEO (Intel P4) that is dual channel DDR memory capable as
well as 2 Geil PC3200 512 meg chips. Problem is CPUZ show single channel. I
have placed the memory in slots 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 with no change to dual
channel.
Is there any other program that can tell if its in dual channel? Maybe CPUZ
is buggy? I also don't see anything when the PC posts and there also is no
settings in the Bios. Anyone have any ideas. TIA.

Stoner

I hate to state the obvious but does the bootup sequence indicate a
message something like "Dual Data Channel Enabled"...???

It should appear right before BIOS goes looking for IDE drives. Maybe
you just never noticed it before or maybe it is a little hard to see..

I run only one identifying programs, called Aida32, to look at my
system and I have not noticed any indication of daul data channel at
all, so maybe they haven't bothered to include it... Either that or I
just never bothered to look properly for it, mainly because I know
it's working...

Ohhhhh - Just a side note...!!!!

Are you sure your RAM is identical..??? Are they matched..??? Maybe it
looks the same but the guy gave you slightly different sticks without
even realizing it. Check that.
Just a thought...
Old March 11th 04, 06:16 AM
Bruce Tyler

Hmmmmm...

I was going to mention that it may be a BIOS thing, maybe a setting or
something but I thought Dual Channel was auto. It certainly happened
automatically on my Gigabyte 7N400 board. The first I booted up,,
there it was...

The only thing I know is that mem slot 1 and mem slot 3 (if you have 4
slots) should be used...

It's got me a bit stumped... Mind you, I am NO "Mr Knowlegable" when
it comes to motherboards and memory workings...

Hope you get it sorted...

On 10 Mar 2004 23:47:19 GMT, "Stoner"
wrote:

No mention of dual channel on boot up. All the numbers are the same on
Sisoft sandra(ID etc.). And according to Geil, they said they would run dual
channel.

Stoner
.. .