Recommendation for photo paper brand and supplier in UK please

Old February 16th 08, 11:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Roy G[_2_]

Default Recommendation for photo paper brand and supplier in UK please

"measekite" wrote in message
t...

Synapse Syndrome wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for a supplier of high quality inkjet
photo paper in the UK.

Thanks.

ss.

Costco

I don't know about the OP, but I certainly won't drive 40 miles just to get
to a Costco, and then pay a membership fee.

Roy G

Old February 17th 08, 01:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob AZ

I don't know about the OP, but I certainly won't drive 40 miles just to get
to a Costco, and then pay a membership fee.

Roy G

I would drive 40 miles to COSTCO and pay the membership fee. Thery
have real nice glossy paper that costs about 12� cents a sheet. 8�" X
11", 150 sheets to the box. I buy 10 or more boxes at a time. More
than makes up for the 40 miles and the membership fee.
Bob AZ

Old February 17th 08, 05:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Wolfgang Schmittenhammer

Bob AZ wrote:

I don't know about the OP, but I certainly won't drive 40 miles just to get
to a Costco, and then pay a membership fee.

Roy G

I would drive 40 miles to COSTCO and pay the membership fee. Thery
have real nice glossy paper that costs about 12� cents a sheet. 8�" X
11", 150 sheets to the box. I buy 10 or more boxes at a time. More
than makes up for the 40 miles and the membership fee.
Bob AZ

I am in the USA, but I really like Ilford paper, which I believe is made
in the UK. I get mine online from Wal Mart. Smooth Pearl (personal
favorite) 8-1/2 x 11 (don't know the UK equivalent, A4??) 100 sheets
for less than $30 US. Here is a link to Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&se...20paper&page=1
Old February 17th 08, 07:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Boskey

I am in the USA, but I really like Ilford paper, which I believe is made
in the UK. I get mine online from Wal Mart. Smooth Pearl (personal
favorite) 8-1/2 x 11 (don't know the UK equivalent, A4??) 100 sheets for
less than $30 US. Here is a link to Amazon UK

I use Ilford papers as well, but now find Walmart or Sam's Club no longer
carry these brands in the store or online. Do you know of any other
retailer carrying this brand at a reasonable price? BTW, Ilford is
headquartered in Switzerland.

Old February 18th 08, 12:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Wolfgang Schmittenhammer

Boskey wrote:
I am in the USA, but I really like Ilford paper, which I believe is made
in the UK. I get mine online from Wal Mart. Smooth Pearl (personal
favorite) 8-1/2 x 11 (don't know the UK equivalent, A4??) 100 sheets for
less than $30 US. Here is a link to Amazon UK

I use Ilford papers as well, but now find Walmart or Sam's Club no longer
carry these brands in the store or online. Do you know of any other
retailer carrying this brand at a reasonable price? BTW, Ilford is
headquartered in Switzerland.

As I stated, you can get it from Amazon (Boskey are you in the US or
UK??) Actually Amazon is many dealers. B&H photo carries it as many
others. Just Google Ilford. Not nearly as economical as Sam's Club.. I
don't know what you mean that Sam's Club no longer carries it, here is
the page below,
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/sea...mpleitemtype=0
Old February 18th 08, 01:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Wolfgang Schmittenhammer wrote:
Bob AZ wrote:

I don't know about the OP, but I certainly won't drive 40 miles just
to get
to a Costco, and then pay a membership fee.

Roy G

I would drive 40 miles to COSTCO and pay the membership fee. Thery
have real nice glossy paper that costs about 12� cents a sheet.
8�" X
11", 150 sheets to the box. I buy 10 or more boxes at a time. More
than makes up for the 40 miles and the membership fee.
Bob AZ

I am in the USA, but I really like Ilford paper, which I believe is
made in the UK. I get mine online from Wal Mart. Smooth Pearl
(personal favorite) 8-1/2 x 11 (don't know the UK equivalent, A4??)
100 sheets for less than $30 US. Here is a link to Amazon UK

Ilford is made in Switzerland. Costco used to sell full sheet made in
Switzerland thought to be Ilford. They also sold cut sheet 4x6 made in
the USA. That was thought to be from a different mfg. I do not know
what they sell today and I bought a bunch and do not use glossy as my
only medium. I prefer matte (Epson) and Ilford Classic Pearl. Classic
Pearl is better for dye printers than Smooth as far as fade resistance
but takes much longer to dry.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&se...20paper&page=1

Old February 18th 08, 09:55 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Synapse Syndrome

"Boskey" wrote in message

BTW, Ilford is headquartered in Switzerland.

It started in Ilford, UK, and after moving around a bit, it's English again,
and the Swiss part is Japanese! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilford_Photo

ss.

Old February 18th 08, 11:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Boskey

Switzerland.

It started in Ilford, UK, and after moving around a bit, it's English
again, and the Swiss part is Japanese!

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/home.asp From this link, "The ILFORD range of
colour photographic products, including 'ILFORD Galerie' inkjet media, is
not manufactured or marketed by HARMAN technology, and remains a separate
business operated by ILFORD Imaging based in Switzerland." It appears this
company produces B&W photography supplies including the Ilford MGIV-RC line
of papers.

Among other things, ILFORD Imaging Switzerland GmbH produces the color line
of papers, including the Galerie Smooth Pearl you mentioned as your
preference. The headquarters remains in Switzerland, but the company is
now wholly owned by the Oji Paper Company as you mentioned. It seems these
two separate companies both trade on the Ilford name, though they don't
appear to have the same target markets. This seems to add to the confusion.

Old February 18th 08, 11:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael J Davis

Synapse Syndrome observed
"Boskey" wrote in message

BTW, Ilford is headquartered in Switzerland.

It started in Ilford, UK, and after moving around a bit, it's English again,
and the Swiss part is Japanese! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilford_Photo

;-)

In 2003 (Just before it went into receivership in the UK) I bought a
stock of A3 & A4 Ilford Premium Glossy paper for use with my Canon
9000S.

The paper worked fine with an old HP printer, but puddled badly with the
Canon. I don't know if the current Ilford papers do this, we don't see
much of them in the UK.

I've stuck to Canon Photo Paper Pro (PR101) ever since. (Except for A3+
and roll formats for panoramas where I use Epson Glossy.)

Mike

Michael J Davis

Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

Old February 18th 08, 11:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
thoss[_2_]

At 09:55:28 on Mon, 18 Feb 2008 Synapse Syndrome opined:-

"Boskey" wrote in message

BTW, Ilford is headquartered in Switzerland.

It started in Ilford, UK, and after moving around a bit, it's English again,
and the Swiss part is Japanese! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilford_Photo

There's no mention there of the 1969 takeover by Ciba.
--
Thoss