ML370 RAID drive replacement help!!

Old March 13th 07, 12:50 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
WipeOut

Default ML370 RAID drive replacement help!!

Hi,

We have a ML370 that has a 5 disk RAID 5 array.. One of the disks has
the red light flashing and the event log says the status is "predictive
failure".. I have just ordered a new drive which should be here in the
next day or so..

Now for the question..

What is the procedure for replacing the drive?

The new one is exactly the same as the old one..

Can I simply pull the old one and insert the new one or should I
shutdown the server and swap the drives when the server is off?
Will it automatically rebuild or do I have to tell it there is a new drive?

Really can't afford for this server to go down so would rather not "try"
my luck..

Any help greatfully appreciated..
Old March 16th 07, 04:10 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Guy Dawson

WipeOut wrote:
Hi,

We have a ML370 that has a 5 disk RAID 5 array.. One of the disks has
the red light flashing and the event log says the status is "predictive
failure".. I have just ordered a new drive which should be here in the
next day or so..

Now for the question..

What is the procedure for replacing the drive?

The new one is exactly the same as the old one..

Can I simply pull the old one and insert the new one or should I
shutdown the server and swap the drives when the server is off?
Will it automatically rebuild or do I have to tell it there is a new drive?

Really can't afford for this server to go down so would rather not "try"
my luck..

When we've had disk failures on our Compaq/HP Proliants we've simply
removed the faulty drive and put the replacement drive in - job done.

YMMV and make sure your backups are good...

Guy
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd