Reading DLT7000 tapes on SDLT drive?

Old March 21st 07, 02:27 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Chris

Default Reading DLT7000 tapes on SDLT drive?

I've seen product literature that claims SDLT drives are read-
compatible with tapes written by the 35/70gb DLT7000.

My SDLT 160/320 drive won't even load the tapes. (software not an
issue here)

Has anyone had any luck doing this? If so, is there a trick? Maybe
only the SDLT 110/220 can do it? (But brochures for both 22 and 320
say the same thing about compatibility with DLT 4000, 7000, 8000 and
DLT1.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Chris

Old March 21st 07, 07:34 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Steve Cousins

Chris wrote:

I've seen product literature that claims SDLT drives are read-
compatible with tapes written by the 35/70gb DLT7000.

My SDLT 160/320 drive won't even load the tapes. (software not an
issue here)

Has anyone had any luck doing this? If so, is there a trick? Maybe
only the SDLT 110/220 can do it? (But brochures for both 22 and 320
say the same thing about compatibility with DLT 4000, 7000, 8000 and
DLT1.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

I'm not sure how much clarification I can give you other than to say
I've been able to load and read DLT IV tapes in ym SDLT 220 drive
without a problem. The DLT IV tape was written with a DLT 7000 drive.

When you say that it won't even load does it just spit it out
immediatly? Or can does it not even fit? If the latter then are you
sure it is a DLT tape? Phyiscally they should look almost identical
(except for the color). I see the SDLT 1 tape has a small fin on it that
the DLT IV doesn't have but other then that mine are the same.

Good luck,

Steve