Not always Dells Fault

Old June 1st 04, 09:22 PM
Fixer

Default Not always Dells Fault

For my sins I am a person that works as a field engineer for Dell, and
whilst 99% of my calls are for genuine hardware failures their is the odd
occasion when its nothing to do with the H/W it's down to the customer,
today for eg. I went to a call to a brand new machine the user saying his
DVD writer would not work, I'd already guessed what the problem might be
before I knocked on the door and yep I was right he was using the wrong
media IE. using -RW instead of +RW now some might try and blame Dell saying
they should support both conventions, that maybe but they don't and so the
ownus is on the user to RTFM - Read The ****ing Manual

Old June 1st 04, 09:54 PM
PC Medic

"Fixer" wrote in message
For my sins I am a person that works as a field engineer for Dell, and
whilst 99% of my calls are for genuine hardware failures their is the odd
occasion when its nothing to do with the H/W it's down to the customer,
today for eg. I went to a call to a brand new machine the user saying his
DVD writer would not work, I'd already guessed what the problem might be
before I knocked on the door and yep I was right he was using the wrong
media IE. using -RW instead of +RW now some might try and blame Dell

saying
they should support both conventions, that maybe but they don't and so the
ownus is on the user to RTFM - Read The ****ing Manual

And prior to dispatching you, the moron and the Drll Help Desk did not
confirm proper media was being used???

Old June 1st 04, 11:26 PM
Fixer

Now why would I be from India???? I said I was a Field Service engineer not
a Call Technician (term used loosely) working in the Bangalore Call centre
"Kevin M" wrote in message
Are you from India?

Old June 2nd 04, 12:37 AM
Kevin M

Based on personal experiences, I guess I just associate Dell with
incompetence and/or India.
"Fixer" wrote in message
Now why would I be from India???? I said I was a Field Service engineer

not
a Call Technician (term used loosely) working in the Bangalore Call centre
"Kevin M" wrote in message
Are you from India?

Old June 2nd 04, 03:31 AM
Ghostrider

Kevin M wrote:

Based on personal experiences, I guess I just associate Dell with
incompetence and/or India.

How kind of you. It is singularly unfortunate that
the Western world has become one for the technically
challenged who is no longer capable of maintaining
the very devices that had made it so strong. But did
not the Roman Empire and a lot of many others tumble
because the populace needed to depend on the emerging
worlds or the overwhelmed intelligentsia of its own
to keep the technology going? It is frustrating all
over. I am sure that the university-trained engineers
and computer scientists in India and other third world
countries would like to be doing other things for which
they were educated if not for the need to earn a decent
living and strive for better standards of living.

Old June 2nd 04, 04:20 AM
Gus

Kevin M wrote:

Are you from India?

Making house calls in the US? Doesn't seem like a good way to reduce
expenses to me.

Old June 2nd 04, 09:49 AM
Robert

Similar for me - work for a company who contracts for Dell to do servicing.
I was too stunned to answer one client who blamed Dell for not knowing the
cause of her modem not working was because she had plugged the modem cable
into her network card. Personally I felt like saying she was too stupid to
own a computer as she couldn't read the large colour pictorial page they
ship with a dimension showing where to plug in the cables.
I probably get about one of those faults per month - even on laptops where
the sockets are on different sides.

Old June 2nd 04, 11:03 AM
Hank Arnold

PLONK!

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Fixer" wrote in message
Now why would I be from India???? I said I was a Field Service engineer

not
a Call Technician (term used loosely) working in the Bangalore Call

centre
"Kevin M" wrote in message
Are you from India?

Old June 2nd 04, 11:11 AM
Hank Arnold

Now let's get reasonable here.... A modular phone cord *will* plug into an
Ethernet port and seem secure (it will actually "snap"). I've been working
with computers and customers for over 20 years. The Hospice I currently
support last year bought some micro laptops for the nurses. The Ethernet and
modem connections are next to each other (here I *will* bash Fujistu for
crummy design). I find that about 30% of the time *I* plug it into the wrong
port and don't realize until I get "no Dial Tone" error message.

I'm with the user on this one. Tech Support should have asked "Are you sure
that the wire is plugged into the right plug?" If the customer answers
"Yes", I'd respond, "Well, let's just be sure and save us both the hassle of
an on-site visit. Plug it into the other plug and re-try. If it still fails,
then we go to the next step." There's no reason that a visit should have
been scheduled if it was jut plugged into the wrong port.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold