Heat

Old November 7th 04, 05:17 PM
Rudy Kube

Default Heat

Built two computers using Athlon 3200+ 400FSB, Same gigabyte MB 7VT600 1394,
same case, PC3200/400 memory, Win XP sp2. One has a thermaltake CPU fan
(huge), the other has a stock AMD CPU fan. The one with the the stock fan
has a fan in the back, and one in the stock PS. The other has 2 in the PS, 1
in back and 1 in front.
The CPU with the AMD runs at 37 C The thermaltake runs at 49 C ?????? Is
there a difference between the pad on the stock fan and the grease on the
Thermaltake? I'm talking at idle. Got the temps using sisoftware & bios.

Rudy

Old November 7th 04, 07:36 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:17:08 -0500, Rudy Kube wrote:

Built two computers using Athlon 3200+ 400FSB, Same gigabyte MB 7VT600 1394,
same case, PC3200/400 memory, Win XP sp2. One has a thermaltake CPU fan
(huge), the other has a stock AMD CPU fan. The one with the the stock fan
has a fan in the back, and one in the stock PS. The other has 2 in the PS, 1
in back and 1 in front.
The CPU with the AMD runs at 37 C The thermaltake runs at 49 C ?????? Is
there a difference between the pad on the stock fan and the grease on the
Thermaltake? I'm talking at idle. Got the temps using sisoftware & bios.

Sounds like you're saying the one with the stock cooler is running cooler.
That definately should not be the case, unless maybe you have a very old
Thermaltake cooler (or an Orb, which sucks). What model is it? My guess is
that it's cocked on the cpu, or installed backwards.

Old November 8th 04, 01:24 AM
Doc

Rudy Kube typed this:
Built two computers using Athlon 3200+ 400FSB, Same gigabyte MB 7VT600 1394,
same case, PC3200/400 memory, Win XP sp2. One has a thermaltake CPU fan
(huge), the other has a stock AMD CPU fan. The one with the the stock fan
has a fan in the back, and one in the stock PS. The other has 2 in the PS, 1
in back and 1 in front.
The CPU with the AMD runs at 37 C The thermaltake runs at 49 C ?????? Is
there a difference between the pad on the stock fan and the grease on the
Thermaltake? I'm talking at idle. Got the temps using sisoftware & bios.

Rudy

Just read that the 'themaltake' could easily be put on incorrectly and
have some 'space' (small, but there) between the cpu and the sink...
Not sure which Thermaltake, but the larger XP-120 can bump caps and
be offset... just a thought.

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto:
Old November 8th 04, 02:05 AM
Rudy Kube

Thanks for the responce & suggestions. The thermaltake was put on by a local
computer service because I screwed up something else. (too embarassing to
mention). They told me my CPU was running way hot. They installed the
volcano 12 along with a small fan for my chipset. I turned everything off
and gently rotated (not too far) the heat sink and it seems to be solid, but
I don't know what was put under it. It's running at 49 C. The other computer
with the stock AMD fan is running at 39 to 41 C. Is the pad material better
than the grease? That's what's on the AMD fan.
Rudy

Old November 8th 04, 09:16 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:05:20 -0500, Rudy Kube wrote:

Thanks for the responce & suggestions. The thermaltake was put on by a local
computer service because I screwed up something else. (too embarassing to
mention). They told me my CPU was running way hot. They installed the
volcano 12 along with a small fan for my chipset. I turned everything off
and gently rotated (not too far) the heat sink and it seems to be solid, but
I don't know what was put under it. It's running at 49 C. The other computer
with the stock AMD fan is running at 39 to 41 C. Is the pad material better
than the grease? That's what's on the AMD fan.
Rudy

No, the pad is no better than the grease, usually not as good. I still say
it's not properly installed.