Windows 2000 Advanced Server Won't Work RIght On Dell Dimension 3000

Old August 15th 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alex Harrington

Default Windows 2000 Advanced Server Won't Work RIght On Dell Dimension3000

Sign Generator wrote:

I will update everyone is this is successful or come back whinning if
it doesn't. I was just too afraid to open the cases up as their is a
hologram sticker protecting it, but now it's almost a year I owned, so
who cares now.

If it's just swapping one SATA drive for another I doubt it will solve
the problem, but it can't help to try.

What people are getting at with the F6/drivers thing is adding in
drivers for the SATA controller.

I'm not sure what the controller is on that board, but while you have
the case side off, have a look around and see if you can find the SATA
chipset on the mainboard, then get a reference driver from the chip
maufacturer, pop it on a floppy and hit F6 to load it during the install.

I can see no good reason why you shouldn't be able to run Win2K AS on
any generic i386 hardware (such as the machines you have). I expect
you're seeing an issue with driver support for a very specific variant
of a chipset that happens to be used on this particular Dell.

Windows 2000 and Windows 2003/Windows XP drivers from Microsoft may well
be of the same fold and so exhibit the same behaviour.

The quickest way to check this and/or discount it for good is to borrow
a PATA HDD and controller card from somewhere and try it in one of the
machines.

If it's all good, then you have an issue with the SATA chipset. If not,
then there is something more fundamentally wrong.

In that case, I'd suggest you go back to basics and look at results of a
few hours Memtest86, a day or so running Prime95 under WinXP. Monitor
temperatures etc.

Regards

Alex
Old August 15th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I have little sympathy for trying to use Win 2K advanced server on a piece of
hardware, the Dimension 3000, designed for use as a personal computer
workstation running XP Home (or XP Pro if you insist on it). The problem is
complicated by the fact that SATA support barely exists in Win 2K advanced
server, if at all. You are trying to run older software on newer hardware,
sometimes a difficult trick to pull off. Did you do your homework in advance
before buying?

If one is going run run server software, best to get a computer designed to run
server software. Or build your own generic white box computer to be a server.

If you bought the computer from me, I would offer zero help and zero sympathy
for attempts to install Win 2K advanced server. I can't say I would fault Dell
tech support. if you WANTED to buy a computer from me, I would ask or you
would tell me about your intentions. Then we would end up with the right
computer hardware for the job, or you would go elsewhere. Seems to me that
there was little in-depth dialog with Dell sales personnel prior to buying.
And I would NEVER expect to have an in-depth dialog with Dell sales personnel or
the sales people from any other company that does almost 100% mail order.

It looks like you've wasted many hours of valuable time, more valuable than the
computers themselves, and enough to have justified buying the right (and more
expensive) server hardware in the first place... Ben Myers

On 14 Aug 2006 20:37:46 -0700, "Sign Generator"
wrote:

Please read my problems and see if you what I am missing.

For almost a year now I have fought over and over again (plus spent
30-40 hours with moron Dell technicians who cannot spack English
well enough to communicate) trying to get Win2k AS on this Dell
Dimension 3000. I can get it to install, only takes 2 days to run the
Windows setup.

Once it's all installed (drivers and all, fresh start, no other
software),
it takes about 5 minutes to open any settings. It takes about 5
minutes to list hardware in my DEVICE MANAGER and 10 minutes
more if I want to attempt to change anything. Even photoshop 6.0
that I have on a CDROM (yes, it will run from USB drive to on any
computer) that I use on my other computers takes about 20 minutes
to start (usaully only takes 2 minutes max on my P2 333mhz which
is almost 10 times slower by the CPU clocking). I even install service
pack 4 and did updates on Windows (took about 4 hours to install
SP4, on my P2 333mhz, it only takes 15 minutes to install SP4 on
win2kas). WTF? Is Dell purposely screwing business people like me?

TASK MANAGER shows between 65%-100% cpu usage from a
fresh reboot. I have made sure the Primary/Secondary IDE channels
are using MDA (DEVICE MANAGER settings) but no luck. I was
assuming for the longest time that it was harddrives slowing me down,
but it's something goofing up sucking up CPU usage.

I have 3 Dell Dimesnions (3ghz, 1024 RAM, 80 WD HD) that I bought
to use as server, $1500 bux wasted that I cannot do anything with
(Dell support lied to me saying I should be able to use as a server)
until my warranty was up). I have tried about 15 times to install
win2kas,
so it's not just a glitch... I have set up about 20 other PCs with
win2kas
and even have 3 older PCs running with it, so I know it's not me (I am
experienced with servers).

I even went as far as wipping the harddrives to get rid of Dell's
hidden
drive (I used the Dell Resouce CD to boot win98 version of DOS, then
found that it had FDISK on it, so I deleted every partion and reset my
own from scratch then did a DOS based format after reboot), but still
the same crap after I installed.

I am very frustrated, I have tried hundreds of different tactics,
wasted
hundreds of hours and lost hyundreds of dollars as I have not been
able to use these 3 useless Dell Dimesnion 3000s!

Funny thing, with WinXP home edition that comes with the Dimensions
works great as expected, but Win2kAS makes it run like a Pentium
133mhz computer. WHY IS THIS? ANYONE?

http://www.WHAK.com edy!

Old August 15th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sign Generator

I agree Ben, but the Business Rep told me these systems would work for
my needs, I had a limited budget as we had a baby 2 years ago (we are
still paying off medical bills) and that was what we could afford, it
had to be 3 computers that would take Windows 2000 Server (only one
actually needs AS edt, I have a copy of win2kpro to run SQL server and
the third I have left the original way Dell sent it, it works great for
all my editing needs).

Even when I have called service techs (many times), they insisted that
I was doing something wrong and that there should be no problem
installing Windows2k. SO I trusted them, then I would get distractred
by the baby (I have to abby sit when wife goes to work, I am disabled
and have no job or income other than my web sites which are not stable
due to lies of Dell technicians and sales reps) or some other server
problems (since I was never able to actually upgrade my old P2 433s
that keep crashing because IA get too much traffic)... For weeks this
went on, I'd try to live my life and in between I would call reps yet
again and try to find some person who knew what the issue was!

If I would have known (if the rep would have said that they wouldn't
have worked, I would not have bought them, I asked numerous times to
make sure that windows 2000 server would run as I was desperate and
frustrated by my servers crashing).

Old August 15th 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ogden Johnson III

"Sign Generator" wrote:

Tom Scales wrote:

"Notan" wrote:

Sign Generator wrote:

I will complain about who I want to (I live in a free country).

I have spent days on the phone with Dell morons, who's to blame for the
retards working their? Microsoft? AOL? Who should I blame? I have had
these 3 Dells for 11 months and I have not been able to use them as
servers as Dell business services told me I could, my business has
suffered, I have lost much money on down time (my old servers are
overloaded with over 10,000 unique visitors a day plus the money I paid
for these useless paper weights.

I suspect your attitude (calling those you don't care for, "retards")
might have something to do with your problem(s).

His attitude isn't nearly as bad as his advice. Samsungs bad. Delete
restore partitions. Install Win2K server on a D3000.

Perhaps a teenager? The attitude and willingness to install illegal
software fits.

Now you are criminally attacking me, accusing me of illegal doings,
that is defamation of character (I COULD SUE YOUR ASS PUNK)! I never
said the Windows 2003 was being run on antoher server, it's a friend's
of mines that his business went bankrupt, in fact he wants me to buy
the CDs from him. SO stop accusing the world of bad things and worry
about yourself.

THIS IS WHY I NEVER CAME HERE FOR OVER 6 MONTHS, SO MANY F**KING
RETARDS EVERYWHERE YOU GO SHOOTING OFF THEIR BIG F**KING MOUTHS
(IDIOT)!

Less than two weeks back on Usenet after a long absence and I've
already got my first plonk for terminal idiocy.

The only retard in this story is you - the one who decided to go
cheap and try to make an entry level machine a business server.
Given the attitude you've demonstrated here, I don't believe a
word you've written about the Dell sales people telling you the
D3000 would run as a Win2K server. I am certain they tried to
discourage you.

I wouldn't even have bought a D3000 as my sole home machine - no
decent expansion potential. For a small office set up, I would
[as the company I used to work for did] have gone with D8xxx
series, as workstations and for my office server.

Sure, you're entitled to free speech. But no one has to stick
around to hear it. And I suspect few in a.s.pc-c.d are sticking
around to do so.

Bye.
--
Ogden Johnson
(nee OJ III)
Old August 15th 06, 09:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

Sign Generator wrote:

Dear Tom Scales (AKA JERK):

I admitted it wasn't my serial number, but I still can install this
machine with that serial number if it's not being used anywhere else.

snip

Really? Says who?

Notan
Old August 15th 06, 10:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sign Generator

Dear Tom Scaley:

Well I have the original CDs with the packagings, so I think I can do
what ever the hell I please with it and I will! I do not care what you
say or she said, it doesn't matter now because I have already formateed
the drive as it was useless to me too (like YOU), get with the
present...

Gosh, who let the web trolls out? They are cumming out of the wood work
now!

Old August 15th 06, 10:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jupiter Jones

Something is strange about this post.
Was this computer originally shipped with Windows 2000 Server or any other
server?
Dell as most other OEMs will only support a computer in the original
configuration.
If this computer shipped with Windows XP, Dell will not help with another OS
and certainly not a server OS, at least without you paying a lot of $.
That is a major inconsistency in your post or perhaps you forgot some
relevant details?

If you paid Dell to assist you installing Windows Server 2000, demand your
$ back since they were no help.
If you were trying to install Windows 2000 Server through normal support on
an unsupported computer, they will not help and your conversations with Dell
more likely revolved around with it should not be done and your request that
they help anyways.

In any case, your best solution is to buy something that supports a server,
and perhaps something newer than 6 year old server software.
Scrimping $ here is a good way to start pounding nails in the coffin of a
business.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

oups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 12:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Sign Generator" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear Tom Scales (AKA JERK):

I admitted it wasn't my serial number, but I still can install this
machine with that serial number if it's not being used anywhere else.
My friend does have a server with it installed but it's been packed up
since his wife took the house (they are doing court stuff now), but he
has the CDs and a computer running XP for home usage. There is nothing
wrong with me making sure this software works on my PC before I buy it
from him (it's not cheap).

So stop your illegal slander, what kind of help did you offer me BIG
MOUTH? All Mr. High Mighty who helps everyone here for years has
nothing better to do than attack me and slanderize me..... I think the
world is better off without your HELP (or whatever you call it).

Tom Scales wrote:
I've been here for years helping out. You admitted you were going to do
an
illegal act. get over yourself

You don't understand the license, do you. It is installed on the other
machine. That machine could be in parts on the floor and the license is
still in use.

Do as you please, just don't fool yourself into believing you are not
violating the license.

Old August 16th 06, 12:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

"Sign Generator" wrote in message
oups.com...

Listen. I know you think I'm a jerk, but I'm not. I volunteer here every
day and have done so for many years. I help as much as I can. The level of
support a person gets and how it is given depends almost 100% on one thing.

Their attitude.

Come in here with a chip on your shoulder and you'll get a lot of grief,
particularly if you do something like admit you're going to put an illegal
copy on a machine (whether you want to admit it or not).

We're not Dell. You can rant all you want, but it won't help and it just
gets old. You know darn well what you're trying to do is COMPLETELY
unsupported by Dell. The machine isn't certified as a server or sold with a
server OS and is a bottom of the barrel, very limited machine. If you don't
know that, then you don't have any business trying to install a server OS,
but I suspect you do know that.

I also suspect you've been backed into a corner, likely by a decision made
by someone else and that frustration came out to us. It sure did to (and
at) me.

Sounds like you've found a solution, and that's great. Feel free to come
back for help any time and if you come in nice, I promise, we're nice back.

Tom

Old August 16th 06, 02:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Linux servers, maybe? ... Ben Myers