Windows 2000 Advanced Server Won't Work RIght On Dell Dimension 3000

Old August 15th 06, 12:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Default Windows 2000 Advanced Server Won't Work RIght On Dell Dimension 3000

Probably a problem with a Samsung drive

Let's face it, the Dimension 3000 is not designed or certified for Win2K,
let alone Advanced Server. It is a very entry level comsumer machine
designed and intended to run only XP. It was never tested for outdated,
antiquated operating systems, nor to be used as a server class machine.

Try getting a machine for which Win2K is intended.

Tom
"Sign Generator" wrote in message
oups.com...
Please read my problems and see if you what I am missing.

For almost a year now I have fought over and over again (plus spent
30-40 hours with moron Dell technicians who cannot spack English
well enough to communicate) trying to get Win2k AS on this Dell
Dimension 3000. I can get it to install, only takes 2 days to run the
Windows setup.

Once it's all installed (drivers and all, fresh start, no other
software),
it takes about 5 minutes to open any settings. It takes about 5
minutes to list hardware in my DEVICE MANAGER and 10 minutes
more if I want to attempt to change anything. Even photoshop 6.0
that I have on a CDROM (yes, it will run from USB drive to on any
computer) that I use on my other computers takes about 20 minutes
to start (usaully only takes 2 minutes max on my P2 333mhz which
is almost 10 times slower by the CPU clocking). I even install service
pack 4 and did updates on Windows (took about 4 hours to install
SP4, on my P2 333mhz, it only takes 15 minutes to install SP4 on
win2kas). WTF? Is Dell purposely screwing business people like me?

TASK MANAGER shows between 65%-100% cpu usage from a
fresh reboot. I have made sure the Primary/Secondary IDE channels
are using MDA (DEVICE MANAGER settings) but no luck. I was
assuming for the longest time that it was harddrives slowing me down,
but it's something goofing up sucking up CPU usage.

I have 3 Dell Dimesnions (3ghz, 1024 RAM, 80 WD HD) that I bought
to use as server, $1500 bux wasted that I cannot do anything with
(Dell support lied to me saying I should be able to use as a server)
until my warranty was up). I have tried about 15 times to install
win2kas,
so it's not just a glitch... I have set up about 20 other PCs with
win2kas
and even have 3 older PCs running with it, so I know it's not me (I am
experienced with servers).

I even went as far as wipping the harddrives to get rid of Dell's
hidden
drive (I used the Dell Resouce CD to boot win98 version of DOS, then
found that it had FDISK on it, so I deleted every partion and reset my
own from scratch then did a DOS based format after reboot), but still
the same crap after I installed.

I am very frustrated, I have tried hundreds of different tactics,
wasted
hundreds of hours and lost hyundreds of dollars as I have not been
able to use these 3 useless Dell Dimesnion 3000s!

Funny thing, with WinXP home edition that comes with the Dimensions
works great as expected, but Win2kAS makes it run like a Pentium
133mhz computer. WHY IS THIS? ANYONE?

http://www.WHAK.com edy!

Old August 15th 06, 12:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Notan" wrote in message
Sign Generator wrote:

I will complain about who I want to (I live in a free country).

I have spent days on the phone with Dell morons, who's to blame for the
retards working their? Microsoft? AOL? Who should I blame? I have had
these 3 Dells for 11 months and I have not been able to use them as
servers as Dell business services told me I could, my business has
suffered, I have lost much money on down time (my old servers are
overloaded with over 10,000 unique visitors a day plus the money I paid
for these useless paper weights.

I suspect your attitude (calling those you don't care for, "retards")
might have something to do with your problem(s).

Notan

His attitude isn't nearly as bad as his advice. Samsungs bad. Delete
restore partitions. Install Win2K server on a D3000.

Perhaps a teenager? The attitude and willingness to install illegal
software fits.

Tom

Old August 15th 06, 05:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alex Harrington

Sign Generator wrote:
Please read my problems and see if you what I am missing.

For almost a year now I have fought over and over again (plus spent
30-40 hours with moron Dell technicians who cannot spack English
well enough to communicate) trying to get Win2k AS on this Dell
Dimension 3000. I can get it to install, only takes 2 days to run the
Windows setup.

Does the version of Win2k AS you are installing have Service Pack 4
slipstreamed in to it? Remember 2K won't deal with drives larger than
137GB properly without the latest SPs in. I wonder if you're seeing
something similar, or at least along those lines if the CD is a vanilla
Win2K AS cd?

If you've only got a non-SP version, it's possible to slipstream it
yourself - instructions are out there on the net!

Alex
Old August 15th 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sign Generator

Dell reps kept lying to me, telling me it was possible to run Win2kas,
I do have a business to run, after 21 days I couldn't simply return it
anymore and because windows xp runs fine, they wouldn't take it back to
fix as there is no problem with XP. I have tried anytime I have had
spare time in the last 8 months to try again and again.

I am not one of these whinners that come ruunning to USENET erverytime
I have a problem, I rely on myself cuz no 1 cares as much as I do!

No drivers I can get from Dell for the WD SATA drive. In BIOS my
choices are AUTO hard drive detection or turn of the hard drive
(grrrrr, another complaint). I even tried disabling UDMA, but obviously
no help.

cAN i JUST REPLACE THE sata DRIVE WITH A NORMAL ide I have on my self
from a couple years ago?

Sorry to bitch at you, I just get upset when people I do not know tell
me how to act, think and/or talk (it's a free country that I live in
where freedom of speech is allowed so do not violate me).

Jay B wrote:
hey, dont bitch to me, i'm trying to help you.

why havnt i seen you write about this problem in the last 6 mos or so?

if you couldnt get them to work, i would have returned them within 30
days return period. not complain here a year later without asking for
help before then.
you would have been better off buying the sc420 servers without software
and putting win2kAS on them. same price on sale!

so did you check out the hard drive issues i raised in my last post?
are you using PATA or SATA?
i would also try adding a 3rd party card and use their drives at the f6
prompt and see if that makes a difference.

Sign Generator wrote:
I will complain about who I want to (I live in a free country).

I have spent days on the phone with Dell morons, who's to blame for the
retards working their? Microsoft? AOL? Who should I blame? I have had
these 3 Dells for 11 months and I have not been able to use them as
servers as Dell business services told me I could, my business has
suffered, I have lost much money on down time (my old servers are
overloaded with over 10,000 unique visitors a day plus the money I paid
for these useless paper weights.

Jay B wrote:
stop complaining about dell, they are not to blame in this case.
not yet anyway.

Old August 15th 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sign Generator

Now you are criminally attacking me, accusing me of illegal doings,
that is defamation of character (I COULD SUE YOUR ASS PUNK)! I never
said the Windows 2003 was being run on antoher server, it's a friend's
of mines that his business went bankrupt, in fact he wants me to buy
the CDs from him. SO stop accusing the world of bad things and worry
about yourself.

THIS IS WHY I NEVER CAME HERE FOR OVER 6 MONTHS, SO MANY F**KING
RETARDS EVERYWHERE YOU GO SHOOTING OFF THEIR BIG F**KING MOUTHS
(IDIOT)!

Old August 15th 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sign Generator

nO, ITS OLDER, ITS GOT win2k sp1 slipstreamer

Even WIndows 2003 server does the same stuff, its a newer release of it
i believe (according to my friend). WHen I just finished installing
win2k3 ent, it now boots up with the OS, but just sitting there I see
100% cpu usage before I do anything at all.

BTW, the drive is only 80GB, think its a SATA drive...

Old August 15th 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sign Generator

I don't expect anyone else to help (as I've beena bit frustrated to
begin with and have snapped at the web troll who accused me of using
illegal software), I think the thing about needing drivers with F6 push
at beginning of install is a prob (cannot find the drivers bt Dell and
I am lost on Western Digital site), so I have swaped out the SATA drive
with a brand new 80 gig special from Staples (got it for 29.95 after
rebates a while ago, so figure I might as well use it now.

I will update everyone is this is successful or come back whinning if
it doesn't. I was just too afraid to open the cases up as their is a
hologram sticker protecting it, but now it's almost a year I owned, so
who cares now.

Old August 15th 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Because you posted to the newsgroup that you were going to install an
illegal copy (wink, wink) of Server 2003. Just quoting you.

I've lost interest in helping you. You bought a low-end desktop to run as a
server. Your stupidity got you here.
ups.com...

Old August 15th 06, 09:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

I've been here for years helping out. You admitted you were going to do an
illegal act. get over yourself

Old August 15th 06, 09:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sign Generator

Dear Tom Scales (AKA JERK):

I admitted it wasn't my serial number, but I still can install this
machine with that serial number if it's not being used anywhere else.
My friend does have a server with it installed but it's been packed up
since his wife took the house (they are doing court stuff now), but he
has the CDs and a computer running XP for home usage. There is nothing
wrong with me making sure this software works on my PC before I buy it
from him (it's not cheap).

So stop your illegal slander, what kind of help did you offer me BIG
MOUTH? All Mr. High Mighty who helps everyone here for years has
nothing better to do than attack me and slanderize me..... I think the
world is better off without your HELP (or whatever you call it).