athlon vs sempron

Old January 20th 06, 07:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Chilly B. Willy

Default athlon vs sempron

Is the sempron 2600+ the same as the Athalon 2600+.

thanks

Old January 20th 06, 08:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:28:03 -0800, Chilly B. Willy wrote:

Is the sempron 2600+ the same as the Athalon 2600+.

No. Assuming you're talking about socket A (462), it would be about the
same as an Athlon XP 2200+. See Sempron on My Server in sigline.

Old January 21st 06, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Chilly B. Willy

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:36:39 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:28:03 -0800, Chilly B. Willy wrote:

Is the sempron 2600+ the same as the Athalon 2600+.

No. Assuming you're talking about socket A (462), it would be about the
same as an Athlon XP 2200+. See Sempron on My Server in sigline.

Intresting. I have a MSI board that I just updated the bios on. Its
got an Duron 1GHz CPU on board. It says it'll now take a Athalon
2400+. Well I can't find any 2400+ anywhere, or at least not in my
price range. I can't see spending $140 for a old CPU. Anyway can I
put a faster Socket A cpu in this board and run it at 2400. There
just dosen't seem to be a lot of places I can ask this question.

Old January 21st 06, 09:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:28:03 -0800, Chilly B. Willy wrote:

Is the sempron 2600+ the same as the Athalon 2600+.

No. Assuming you're talking about socket A (462), it would be about the
same as an Athlon XP 2200+. See Sempron on My Server in sigline.

Intresting. I have a MSI board that I just updated the bios on. Its
got an Duron 1GHz CPU on board. It says it'll now take a Athalon
2400+. Well I can't find any 2400+ anywhere, or at least not in my
price range. I can't see spending $140 for a old CPU. Anyway can I
put a faster Socket A cpu in this board and run it at 2400. There
just dosen't seem to be a lot of places I can ask this question.

Well, looks like you'll be limted to a 133MHz fsb, but if you use an
unlocked cpu, you can set the multiplier as high as 24x, so the max
actual speed the board will support is 24x133. You can do the math. The
problem is you aren't going to find a cheap socket A cpu that will work
well unless you get awfully lucky. At this time, you'd be much better off
buying a new socket 754 or 939 cpu/board combo and selling your old stuff
on ebay. Frye's had a Socket 754 MB and Sempron 2600+ on sale a few weeks
ago for about $75. I've also seen A64 3000+ cpu/mb combos on sale there
for about $100. Use your current system til you see something good on sale
and then jump on it. I think that's the best advice I can give you.

Old January 21st 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
terrapin

wrote:

[...]

He may also be jumping into a new power supply, PCI-E graphics card, DDR
memory...
Old January 22nd 06, 06:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

wrote:

[...]

he can reuse the DDR ram he has now and you won't see the PCI-E boards on
sale real cheap yet. New PSU is a definate possibility.

I just posted this if anyones interested.

I won't hold these. First to pay (cash or paypal) gets it.

Asrock K7S8X R3.0 w/ Duron 1600 clocked at 2.0Ghz/ Aeroflow cpu cooler
with 70-80mm adapter and quiet fan. MB tested to do 215MHz FSB. CPU
tested to 2.4Ghz. All in like new condition. $70

2 WD800BB 80Gig drives with little usage. $25 each.

1 WD600BB 60Gig drive in excellent shape $20

Seagate STT28000A IDE tape drive retail with tape. $20

Epson LQ800 printer (worked when last used) $10.

New 4 channel lighted fan controller. $5

Slot system blower $2.

Turbo 4com TC-400 ISA 4 port serial board 16650 uarts $5.

5.25" 1.2M floppy $1

230W AT PSU $1

Assorted eproms, IC's, resistors, etc. FREE

Shipping extra at cost or close to it. Located in Wylie.

Email or call 972-429-5765. I won't check back here more than likely.
If you think the price is too high, too bad. They are firm. Don't bother
with a lower bid. Need info, call or email.

Old January 22nd 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Chilly B. Willy

wrote:

[...]

Lets put it this way. I don't really want a sempron but if I can't
get the athalon I'll take a sempron. There is no way on gods green
earth I'll update to a sempron. I'd go with the fastest I can get.
When I got this board it was the fastest at the time.

My mobo is socket A. All I want to do is upgrade it to a higher proc.

this computer is just a kick around machine. For my main machine I've
got a 3GHz machine.
Old January 22nd 06, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Chilly B. Willy

wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention it uses the old SDRAM. No DDR. I didn't buy this
originally, however I did put it together.