Intel or PowerPC for RAID controller

Old October 27th 03, 02:08 PM
albatros66

Default Intel or PowerPC for RAID controller

Dear ALL

Please discuss pro & conts on using Intel vs PowerPC based RAID
controlers ... (e.g. some vendors use PPC750 and some use IOP303 or
newer) ...

Other query: while Intel ships newer IO Procesors (recently IOP321 and
IOP331) many vendors of raid array still use IO303 outdated processor
(& chipset) and even i960 ... Why?

Please comment: performance, reliability, applicability etc ...

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

AL
Old October 30th 03, 07:10 AM
Mark Smith

"albatros66" wrote in message
m...

* Cost are not much different: varying from 12000 USD to 18000USD for
4TB subsystem ...

* familiarity of developers: I'm not developer. I'm "end user" ( not a
user at gray end 8-}). I don't need to care about

* features - most of the subsystem have almoust the same features -
the lists of features are long or very long: ten or more RAID modes,
flashilg lamps, SNMP, hot everything etc etc ...

Let's take your pick again: which SCSI/FIBRE-to-IDE/SATA array is best
from any point of view ??? Is anybody brave enough to answer the
question??? I have to answer to my boss because whe are just buying
few such devices (some 20TB) ...

Can you give any info on what applications you are going to be using the
storage for ? It's usually a big factor in choosing the right system.
I'm guessing you are looking at something to maybe do archiving if you're
looking at IDE based storage ?

What do you mean by "familiarity of developers" ?

Good to see you're after "flashing lights" as a buying factor ;-) Not
enough manufacturers are aware of this ... though Ciprico had a great
"Meg-O-Meter" on theirs :-)

One company I have a lot of respect for is DigiData
(http://www.digidata.com) they're not to huge so they have the time and
inclination to talk to you and help sort out any questions/problems you may
have and the RAID controllers they've made in the past have always been
horribly quick.

Regards

Mark

Old October 27th 03, 09:33 PM
Zak

Benjamin Goldsteen wrote:

Other query: while Intel ships newer IO Procesors (recently IOP321 and
IOP331) many vendors of raid array still use IO303 outdated processor
(& chipset) and even i960 ... Why?

In summary, the key issues are quality of hardware and software. If
you can find two boxes that don't loose your data, then you might
worry about performance.

Also look at what happens at power loss. A 512 MB write-back cache with
no battery backup (AXUS why can't you deliver that battery backup option
mentioned on your website?) will surely mean data loss if the power goes
out.

Thomas

Old October 28th 03, 10:58 AM
albatros66

(Benjamin Goldsteen) wrote in message . com...
(albatros66) wrote in message om...
Dear ALL

Please discuss pro & conts on using Intel vs PowerPC based RAID
controlers ... (e.g. some vendors use PPC750 and some use IOP303 or
newer) ...

Other query: while Intel ships newer IO Procesors (recently IOP321 and
IOP331) many vendors of raid array still use IO303 outdated processor
(& chipset) and even i960 ... Why?

Please comment: performance, reliability, applicability etc ...

I assume you are talking about some sort of IDE/ATA-SCSI/FC RAID.

Are you a prophet or so ? Indeed I was thinking about such subsystems
but I can say, that also well know vendors of SCSI-to-SCSI or FC-to-FC
arrays relies on these chipsets ...

Basic advice: Intel vs. PowerPC is going to be the last of your
concerns. The real issues come down to:

-Quality of chassis construction (vibration, cooling, etc),
electronics (do the people who designed the circuit boards have any
idea what they are doing?), and electrics (what kind of $15 power
supply did they use?)
-Firmware and, in particular, error and bad block handling by firmware
-Quality of drives (new WD Raptors SATA drives are supposed to be good
but unproven and not cheap)

In summary, the key issues are quality of hardware and software. If
you can find two boxes that don't loose your data, then you might
worry about performance.

I agree with all above, but ...

* Do you think, that internal bus with frequency e.g. 33MHz (or 66MHz)
is OK? The newer chips use 133MHz bus (or more ). Note that with
enclosure containing 16 SATA drives it becomes feasible to get trasfer
rates upt to 300Mbytes/s or more (I know about boxes with RAID5 rates:
200MBytes/s write and 300MBytes/s read)
* newer chipsets have the appropriate asic on board which works much
faster
* newer chipsets suport more cache memory and aslo offer cache memory
battery backup ...

Cheers,

AL
Old October 28th 03, 07:34 PM
Zak

albatros66 wrote:

* Do you think, that internal bus with frequency e.g. 33MHz (or 66MHz)
is OK? The newer chips use 133MHz bus (or more ). Note that with
enclosure containing 16 SATA drives it becomes feasible to get trasfer
rates upt to 300Mbytes/s or more (I know about boxes with RAID5 rates:
200MBytes/s write and 300MBytes/s read)
* newer chipsets have the appropriate asic on board which works much
faster
* newer chipsets suport more cache memory and aslo offer cache memory
battery backup ...

Well, at least one vendor offers battery backup (which you want) but
cannot deliver it.

Then, the device I tried gave a satisfactory (for my purpose)
performance of about 70 megabytes/sec over SCSI, in RAID 5. Nothing to
write home about. The drives could handle this at 33 MB/sec interface
rate, but I think the manufacturer claims 133 per drive. Useless, I'd guess.

It is the Axus Brownie.

Thomas

Old October 30th 03, 04:07 AM
Scott

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:23:18 -0800, Malcolm Weir
wrote:

So what? I'd certainly *hope* that the embedded CPU isn't touching
the data at all...

Actually most of the systems use the CPU for parity calcs

* newer chipsets have the appropriate asic on board which works much
faster

What "appropriate asic"? Works much faster than *what*?

The LSI controller (also used by StorageTek's Bladestore ATA offering)
uses a dedicated ASIC for this, freeing up the CPU to only do traffic
control and config.

Scott