"Parts need replacing message" on an Epson D68

Old June 3rd 08, 01:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Watson

Default "Parts need replacing message" on an Epson D68

It suggests I visit a service centre as "parts are approaching the end of
their useful life."

However, it appears to be printing as well as the day I bought it, ie, very
well.

I presume this is generated by an internal (non-visible) sheet counter
routine.

Apart from spending the price of a new printer at a service centre, can I
reset the message myself?
--
Brian

Old June 4th 08, 06:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

"Brian Watson" wrote:
It suggests I visit a service centre as "parts are approaching the end of
their useful life."

However, it appears to be printing as well as the day I bought it, ie, very
well.

I presume this is generated by an internal (non-visible) sheet counter
routine.

Apart from spending the price of a new printer at a service centre, can I
reset the message myself?
--
Brian

Sounds like the protection counter is approaching it's maximum. This is not the
ink counter in the cartridges but the waste ink counter in the printer.
Try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and download the application, I think the
D68 and C68 are essentially the same model but for different geographies.
You can safely reset the counter once only, next time the waste ink pads must
be replaced.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old June 4th 08, 07:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Watson

"Tony" wrote in message
news
"Brian Watson" wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Very helpful!

--
Brian

Old June 4th 08, 09:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

This message usually means that the waste ink pads, which hold the ink
that is collected from the cleaning cycles is reaching the "protection
number" Epson has programmed into your printer.

This is supposed to protect your furniture and carpets from potential
overflow of that ink from the bottom of the printer. In general, the
numbers are quite conservative and the pads can hold considerably more
than one would think from the warning, but there is no guarantee, so I
suggest before resetting this, that you place your printer over some
newspaper, which is placed over either a large tray, or some impermeable
plastic.

You have two possible methods of resetting the waste ink protection
numbers. One is to download the Russian SSC program and determine if
you printer is supported by it for the reset process, and just follow
the instructions. This program only works with PCs running windows.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Or, you can go to the Eposn website and sign up to get the proprietary
Epson reset program for your printer. To get it you need to fill out a
questionnaire and answer questions regarding your printer and its serial
number. It also only works with PCs at present.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...nkPadsForm.jsp

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old June 5th 08, 12:10 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Watson

Thanks very much for the advice, Arthur.

Epson's own program does not offer the D series as one of the ranges their
reset program will work with, despite a previous responder saying the C and
D series are mechanically similar inside.

Of course (he said, cynically) they state it may be cheaper to buy a new
printer.

If it does turn out to be the case, I won't buy Epson again if this is their
attitude - a product that "fails" and has to go to landfill because an ink
pad needs replacing about a year after purchase.

I'll try the Russian program (which I downloaded when Tony suggested it) at
the weekend when I have time to do it properly.

Meanwhile, I'll try to source a replacement ink pad.

--
Brian

Old June 5th 08, 06:42 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Brian
If you decide to replace the waste ink pads you can use absorbent carpet
underfelt, a local store may have some offcuts.
There are usually several pads in the base of the printer, a bit of mechanical
dexterity is required to remove the cover and then remove the engine but it is
not an awful job.
The other thing you may consider is getting the pads out and washing then
drying them. Use vinyl gloves and a stainless steel or similar sink, you will
be amazed at how much ink the pads hold!
Tony

Old June 6th 08, 06:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Watson

"Tony" wrote in message
news
Brian
If you decide to replace the waste ink pads you can use absorbent carpet
underfelt, a local store may have some offcuts.
There are usually several pads in the base of the printer, a bit of
mechanical
dexterity is required to remove the cover and then remove the engine but
it is
not an awful job.
The other thing you may consider is getting the pads out and washing then
drying them. Use vinyl gloves and a stainless steel or similar sink, you
will
be amazed at how much ink the pads hold!
Tony

More good advice. Thank you.

--
Brian

Old June 12th 08, 12:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Watson

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Or, you can go to the Eposn website and sign up to get the proprietary
Epson reset program for your printer. To get it you need to fill out a
questionnaire and answer questions regarding your printer and its serial
number. It also only works with PCs at present.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...nkPadsForm.jsp

Reporting back.

Finding Epson do not support the D68 from their website in terms of
supplying a resetter, I downloaded the recommended utility from
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and found it really easy to use.

My Epson is reset and I will restore the pads WELL in time for the problem
of leakage to become a real one.

Thanks to those who responded and thereby saved me the price of a new
printer and my own going to landfill.
--
Brian

Old June 12th 08, 10:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

You would have been better off with a new printer with the latest technology.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml Or, you can go to the Eposn website and sign up to get the proprietary Epson reset program for your printer. To get it you need to fill out a questionnaire and answer questions regarding your printer and its serial number. It also only works with PCs at present. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...nkPadsForm.jsp

Old June 13th 08, 10:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Watson

"measekite" wrote in message
You would have been better off with a new printer with the latest
technology.

Not for my needs.

The D68 is perfectly capable of producing good photographic print output as
well as considerable amounts of daily text-grinding.

The recommended fix has worked and thereby saved the ol' grinder going to
landfill (yet) which is at least as important as any other consideration.
--
Brian